Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti Virus programs

Default Anti Virus programs

I was wondering if any of you guys downloaded/purchased these types of programs?? I was going to download one, but they said that it will cost around $60 a year. Sorry, but I am broke and can't afford that. I remember I once purchased Anti-spyware and it cost me $25 bucks, however, it did not do much...I am constantly getting these messages saying that my computer is infected with viruses... Gosh, are they just trying to make money or do I really need this anti virus software??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

You can try AVG antivirus - http://free.avg.com/

It includes anti-virus and anti-spyware capabilities. Should be enough for basic protection.

If you do not have firewall installed, maybe a good idea to install a free one. I believe either Zone Alarm and Comodo are very good.

Zone Alarm - http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-firewall.htm

Comodo firewall - http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    Please do note that Comodo product includes firewall and antivirus. I installed the firewall part only as per comments, the antivirus is not that effective against viruses.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    You can try AVG antivirus - http://free.avg.com/

It includes anti-virus and anti-spyware capabilities. Should be enough for basic protection.

If you do not have firewall installed, maybe a good idea to install a free one. I believe either Zone Alarm and Comodo are very good.

Zone Alarm - http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-firewall.htm

Comodo firewall - http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/
    Please do note that Comodo product includes firewall and antivirus. I installed the firewall part only as per comments, the antivirus is not that effective against viruses.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks so much for all of your help. My brother just fixed my computer, but I am not sure if I still need to download these. I am afraid that he will yell at me if I do. I did upload the AVG one but then took it out since I heard that you have to keep on updating it and they charge a lot for it.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

avg is free. just use the avg and u should be fine, at least thats all i use
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    avg is free. just use the avg and u should be fine, at least thats all i use
    Really? How long ago did you download it?? I know that it is free for now, but heard they said they will want to update it every year and then charge you a lot for it... THat's what my friend told me...

AVG Free is a free product. If you upgrade to other AVG products then you will need to pay the subscription fee.

AVG Free is a free product. If you upgrade to other AVG products then you will need to pay the subscription fee.
    Thanks for the info! Have you used AVG Free before?? How affective is it against viruses??

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Thanks for the info! Have you used AVG Free before?? How affective is it against viruses??
    I installed AVG Free on my 2 sisters PCs and so far no problems reported. AVG Free provides basic protection and should be good enough. Please do note that any antivirus programs do protect against viruses that are known to date.

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

The only antivirus that I use is ANSAV. It's free, and has a downright lousy capability as an antivirus. Why do I still use it, you ask? Cuz it has nice plugins.

But yea, AVG is decent, and it has a free service. Then again, Symantec also has a free service. Both offer free updates too.
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.

Avast and AntiVir are two more free antivirus.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I installed AVG Free on my 2 sisters PCs and so far no problems reported. AVG Free provides basic protection and should be good enough. Please do note that any antivirus programs do protect against viruses that are known to date.
    Thanks for the info! I guess I will download it to protect against these viruses before they strike again....

Hi all....

According to me, AVG Antivirus is the best because it detects mostly all the Virus if update it regularly.AVG AntiVirus is really a nice Antivirus i using it from last 2 years, no problem of virus and it don't crate any problem with my PC run speed....
    Advertisements are not allowed ~ Moderator.

Default With or without

You have to be careful when downloading files. I installed one type of antivirus +internet protection for my office work and another for home, both highly rated and paid for. My office computer had problems shutting down, that's a clear sign of infection. All I did was download a few files on boring work stuff.

Some friends swear by Avira, freeware.

Default With or without

You have to be careful when downloading files. I installed one type of antivirus +internet protection for my office work and another for home, both highly rated and paid for. My office computer had problems shutting down, that's a clear sign of infection. All I did was download a few files on boring work stuff.

Some friends swear by Avira, freeware.

ALWAYS have an anti-virus software loaded on your computer. It's also wise to have an anti-spyware.

Anti-virus - install only one of these...
    1. Avast
    2. Avira
    3. AVG Free

Anti-spyware - it is recommended to install all of the below
    1. Spybot S & D
    2. Ad-Aware Free
    3. Windows Defender
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

I'm trying ClamWin now. It doesn't have on-access scanner but it was able to detect a virus that Symantec missed. I'm using it as a second antivirus now.

Free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware;http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...?tag=untagged. It's very helpful;I am still using it with my anti-virus.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

ESET seems to be all round best rated AV. But, quite expensive for personal use.

Anyone tried comodo?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    ESET seems to be all round best rated AV. But, quite expensive for personal use.

Anyone tried comodo?
    Expensive as opposed to what? Free anti-virus? IMO, it's at a normal price for an anti-virus software. I've been using ESET NOD32 for years and have little complaints. What I like most about it is that it's light.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

This is related topic. How unsafe is it to disable email scanning in AV? The Symantec EndPoint Protection seems to be the one stopping the download of emails to MS Outlook for one of my colleagues. It the 'Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection' error. I suspect it the AV + line not very fast that caused the problem. But, it only happen lately. He has been using the antivirus for a long time.

I read here that this could be the cause.
    http://www.1usa.com/newsletters/0412...OE-Errors.html

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Expensive as opposed to what? Free anti-virus? IMO, it's at a normal price for an anti-virus software. I've been using ESET NOD32 for years and have little complaints. What I like most about it is that it's light.
    Yes. Given that there are several free antivirus for personal use, NOD32 is considered expensive.
    Even compared to other AV, it's price is on the high range (I guess deservingly so because it's track record).

Anyway, have you use ESET Smart Security 4 before? Is it very resource consuming? I was thinking of whether to change AV for my company. But, decision is not up to me. They have been suing Symantec for so long, they use to it liao. But, Symantec Endpoint Protection has centralised control.

Anyone know any AV that has this feature but is not resource consuming?

Btw, why so many hate Norton? Is it so much worse that other big players like Trendmicro and McAfree.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-08-10 at 12:06 AM.