Thread: Chinese Worker Commits Suicide over IPOD theft

Default Chinese Worker Commits Suicide over IPOD theft

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=8142591

Yeah right, that dude didn't jump he was pushed. Apple is getting shadier and shadier every day, if you ask me.

Oops, it was an IPHONE theft.

This is a HUGE story on Chinese forums these days. It does seem as though he jumped, though.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

MSFT gets a bad rep, but Apple is just as bad. Anyone remember the spat with Carl Sagan?
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Anyone remember the spat with Carl Sagan?
    What's that all about?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I just read the article and cannot believe it. He committed suicide over just an IPOD phone?? I wonder if there is more to the story or not???
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I just read the article and cannot believe it. He committed suicide over just an IPOD phone?? I wonder if there is more to the story or not???
    Trinie, perhaps you haven't read enough of the other articles on this story - its everywhere. Apple as a company, places a lot of pressure onto employees to perform at peak level, and its widely known that there are many sweat shops in China. The worker was interrogated and possibly tortured by his superiors over the lost Iphone. Their methods were unreasonable and I can see how many workers would be in a frenzied state of mind and driven to such acts.

It's not just an Ipod phone. It's a prototype. What if a rival company get the prototype and copy the design?
    Last edited by kidd; 07-29-09 at 08:43 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    Trinie, perhaps you haven't read enough of the other articles on this story - its everywhere. Apple as a company, places a lot of pressure onto employees to perform at peak level, and its widely known that there are many sweat shops in China. The worker was interrogated and possibly tortured by his superiors over the lost Iphone. Their methods were unreasonable and I can see how many workers would be in a frenzied state of mind and driven to such acts.
    Thanks for the info Sourplum! Yea, I have not read much about this story. I guess it is a lot more complicated than I thought. I feel bad to hear they did all of those things to him. No wonder he committed suicide. I hope that they will learn to treat people better so that things like this don't happen again.... so sad.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    It's not just an Ipod phone. It's a prototype. What if a rival company got the prototype and copy the design?
    Oh yea, that is true. I did not think of it like that.. But I still don't believe that they have to torture someone to the point of suicide. Why do people value money and all that other stuff so much more than human life??

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    What's that all about?
    Apple used Sagan's name as a code for one of their products cuz it's supposed to make Apple billions and billions of $ (Sagan is known for saying billions and billions of stars).

Sagan sued them and Apple later used "Butthead Scientist" as codename, and Sagan sued again.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Oh yea, that is true. I did not think of it like that.. But I still don't believe that they have to torture someone to the point of suicide. Why do people value money and all that other stuff so much more than human life??
    Sourplum said 'possibly tortured'. It's speculation not fact. It's still hard for me to believe a big reputable company like Apple will use torture method.

Why do people value money and all that other stuff so much more than human life??
    Yes, some people will kill for money and other stuff. But, in this case, the worker commited suicide himself. The company didn't murder him. How is that 'valueing money and all that other stuff so much more than human life'?
    Last edited by kidd; 07-29-09 at 09:00 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Sourplum said 'possibly tortured'. It's speculation not fact. It's still hard for me to believe a big reputable company like Apple will use torture method.
    Apple doesn't handle workers like Sun directly. He worked for a Taiwanese firm which had a contract with Apple. According to some articles, that firm had some questionable cases of employee abuse, but is not among the worst operating in China.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Apple used Sagan's name as a code for one of their products cuz it's supposed to make Apple billions and billions of $ (Sagan is known for saying billions and billions of stars).

Sagan sued them and Apple later used "Butthead Scientist" as codename, and Sagan sued again.
    That's funny. Thanks for the info.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Sun Danyong, the worker, was employed with Foxconn Technology Group, a major Taiwanese manufacturer of Apple. The company is known for its poorly conditioned factories where cases of employee abuse have been known to occur. I'm not saying Apple is squarely responsible for his death, but one of their formulas of success has been their secrecy behind new products. They obviously place expectations on suppliers to keep everything in check, which I think, if the allegations of abuse are proven in the investigation pending, has contributed to the death of Sun.

Yes, some people will kill for money and other stuff. But, in this case, the worker commited suicide himself. The company didn't murder him. How is that 'valueing money and all that other stuff so much more than human life'?
    I think what people are upset about is that the company Foxconn has alledgedly used abusive methods to interrogate the worker. That isn't how you treat workers, even if they've done something wrong like losing something. They could have handled the situation better and prevented the death of a worker. So, I think its reasonable that others are angry at Foxconn and to a degree, Apple.
    Last edited by Sourplum; 07-30-09 at 03:25 AM.