Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: remorse and leniency

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    *Singapore* probably has the death penalty for giving a traffic cop a dirty look.

Try not to kill each other, guys.
    Yeah can't believe TC lives in the same city/town haha. i probably saw him at a mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    btw doesn't singapore have the death penalty for all types of perjury?
    According to wikipedia, perjury will only be a crime punishable by death if the perjury results in the execution of an innocent person. Other form of perjury, you only get fine and jail.

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/public/..._evidence.aspx
    Tell the truth. It is your duty to tell the truth. If you lie in Court, you will be charged for telling lies in Court (‘perjury’) and be fined or imprisoned.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital...pital_offences

In addition to the Penal Code, there are four Acts of Parliament in Singapore that prescribe death as punishment for offences. According to the local civil rights group, the Think Centre, 70% of hangings are for drug-related offences.

Penal Code

Under the Penal Code, the commission of the following offences may result in the death penalty:

* Waging or attempting to wage war or abetting the waging of war against the Government*
    * Offences against the President’s person*
    * Mutiny
    * Piracy that endangers life
    * Perjury that results in the execution of an innocent person
    * Murder
    * Abetting the suicide of a person under the age of 18 or an "insane" person
    * Attempted murder by a prisoner serving a life sentence
    * Kidnapping or abducting in order to murder
    * Robbery committed by five or more people that results in the death of a person
    * drug trafficking
    * Unlawful discharge of firearms (firearms are heavily restricted in the city)

*In other words, treason.

Misuse of Drugs Act
    The Singapore embarkation card contains a warning to visitors about the death penalty for drug trafficking. Warning signs can also be found at the Johor-Singapore Causeway and other border entries.

Under Schedule 2 of the Misuse of Drugs Act, any person found in possession of more than the following quantities of drugs receives a mandatory death sentence:

* Opium: 1,200 g, containing more than 30 g of morphine
    * Any controlled drug (except opium): containing more than 30 g of morphine
    * Diamorphine (Heroin): 15 g
    * Morphine: 30 g
    * Cocaine: 30 g
    * Cannabis: 500 g
    * Cannabis mixture: 1,000 g
    * Hashish: 200 g
    * Methamphetamine: 250 g

Death sentences are also mandatory for any person caught manufacturing

* Morphine, or any salt of morphine, ester of morphine or salt of ester of morphine
    * Diamorphine (Heroin) or any salt of diamorphine
    * Cocaine or any salt of cocaine

The Act, to some degree, reverses the usual burden of proof in common law jurisdictions. Under the Act any person found in possession of more than the prescribed amounts is presumed to be trafficking. Any person who has in their possession a key to a premises where drugs are found is presumed to be in possession of the drugs since "Any person who is proved to have had in his possession or custody or under his control —

(a) anything containing a controlled drug;

(b) the keys of anything containing a controlled drug;

(c) the keys of any place or premises or any part thereof in which a controlled drug is found; or

(d) a document of title relating to a controlled drug or any other document intended for the delivery of a controlled drug,

shall, until the contrary is proved, be presumed to have had that drug in his possession."

Furthermore, any person who is proved or presumed to have had a controlled drug in his possession shall be presumed to have known the nature of that drug.

Internal Security Act

The preamble of the Internal Security Act states that it is an Act to "provide for the internal security of Singapore, preventive detention, the prevention of subversion, the suppression of organised violence against persons and property in specified areas of Singapore, and for matters incidental thereto." The President of Singapore has the power to designate certain security areas. Any person caught in the possession or with someone in possession of firearms, ammunition or explosives in a security area can be punished by death.

Arms Offences Act

The Arms Offences Act regulates firearms offences.Any person who uses or attempts to use arms (Section 4) can face execution, as well as any person who uses or attempts to use arms to commit scheduled offences (Section 4A). These scheduled offences are:- being a member of an unlawful assembly; rioting; certain offences against the person; abduction or kidnapping; extortion; burglary; robbery; preventing or resisting arrest; vandalism; mischief. Any person who is an accomplice (Section 5) to a person convicted of arms use during a scheduled offence can likewise be executed.

Trafficking in arms (Section 6) is a capital offence in Singapore. Under the Arms Offences Act, trafficking is defined as being in unlawful possession of more than two firearms.

Kidnapping Act

The terms of the Kidnapping Act designate abduction, wrongful restraint or wrongful confinement for ransom as capital offences.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-23-09 at 02:13 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Yeah can't believe TC lives in the same city/town haha. i probably saw him at a mall.
    Which part of Mississauga do you live, main intersection?
    I live near the Britannia & Mavis

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Which part of Mississauga do you live, main intersection?
    I live near the Britannia & Mavis
    That's a pretty nice neighbourhood. I'll keep my intersection a secret but i go to square one shopping mall a lot. Let me guess, you're not the party type rite? I can't picture you hitting the clubs downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    According to wikipedia, perjury will only be a crime punishable by death if the perjury results in the execution of an innocent person. Other form of perjury, you only get fine and jail.
    that is much more reasonable.... not that i condone the death penalty.

* Piracy that endangers life
    * Abetting the suicide of a person under the age of 18 or an "insane" person
    I don't agree with these ones. Piracy? Software piracy? I don't even understand how that could endanger life. maybe endanger jobs? Suicide is a sticky area. there could be some people suffering from terrible illness and pain. some people would argue that suicide is the best option. Also the whole drug trafficking i don't agree with. Penalty, yes. but death penalty? No. Singapore sucks.

Their law is very disgusting. Criminals should be punished. I agree. But killing them? That's just wrong, plain and simple. The worst part is they're killing people under non-murder crimes. They're pretty much trying to force a paradise free of crime. But the cost they're paying for their "paradise" is their moral values. Canada doesn't have the death penalty and it's one of the safest places to live in the world. Same with Iceland.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 06-23-09 at 02:30 AM.

I don't agree with these ones. Piracy? Software piracy? I don't even understand how that could endanger life. maybe endanger jobs? Suicide is a sticky area. there could be some people suffering from terrible illness and pain. some people would argue that suicide is the best option. Also the whole drug trafficking i don't agree with. Penalty, yes. but death penalty? No. Singapore sucks.
    I think the 'piracy' here means the sea robbery, those that hijack ships and keep capton and ships hostage.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-23-09 at 02:46 AM.

Suicide is a sticky area. there could be some people suffering from terrible illness and pain. some people would argue that suicide is the best option. Also the whole drug trafficking i don't agree with. Penalty, yes. but death penalty? No. Singapore sucks.
    Euthanasia is illegal here.

But I'd agree with the death penalty when someone makes use of another person's weakness (be it physically, mentally or emotionally) to goad him into suicide. Little difference from murder.

And that last line, I will pretend I didn't see it.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I think the 'piracy' here means the sea robbery, those that hijack ships and keep capton and ships hostage.
    Singapore has pirate problems? I didn't even know there were still pirates

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Euthanasia is illegal here.

But I'd agree with the death penalty when someone makes use of another person's weakness (be it physically, mentally or emotionally) to goad him into suicide. Little difference from murder.

And that last line, I will pretend I didn't see it.
    don't tell me you're from singapore? What's Euthanasia?

There are still many pirates around, just not publicised much. Our government already paid ransom to pirates many times for our captured ships. Recently, a ship sending aid supply was captured in Somalia.

Some recent pirate news.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...f_somalia.html
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514719,00.html
    http://news.aol.com/world/pirates
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=1300344
    http://piratebook.blogspot.com/

There are still many pirates around, just not publicised much. Our government already paid ransom to pirates many times for our captured ships. Recently, a ship sending aid supply was captured in Somalia.

Some recent pirate news.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...f_somalia.html
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514719,00.html
    http://news.aol.com/world/pirates
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=1300344
    http://piratebook.blogspot.com/
    i have the urge to watch pirates of the caribbean now.

don't tell me you're from singapore? What's Euthanasia?
    Kidd is right. But surely you must have read about the Somali piracy. It's big news and all over the papers.

Euthanasia is the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma, which is exactly what your point (in your earlier post) indicated.

And yes, I'm from Singapore.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I honestly don't get where your logic is. It is true that owning a car does not need to be expensive, but can always get expensive. Who said that I needed to or wanted to show off to anyone?? $10,000-$15,000 is a lot to me since I honestly never had a real job in my life and my family was already helping me out. Even my brother does not dare to buy a used car for that much and you are saying that a car does not need to be expensive. It is not just the cost of the car, but the gas, insurance and so many other things. If the car is old, repairs for it will be a pain and can cost A LOT. You know what, you always need to take out of loans for school, for buying a car, house,etc... sometime in your life. How can that be avoided?? You need to get back to reality....
    If you buy a 2-4 years old Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla with low mileage (less than 30,000 miles, well maintained, and no accident), then it's highly likely that they won't break down much. I think it's a good idea to buy a demo car from car dealer. You still pretty much have all the guaranteed like a new car and save you a few thousand dollars compare to a brand new. The maintenance is also pretty low. Yes, it's still cost a lot more than public transportation, no question about it but it will make your life a lot easier and more convenient. The interest is very low right now! Student loan, car loan, and morgage are very very different than loaning money from loan shark for gambling and other luxury. Don't even put them the same category. I myself had student loan, not much, and had been paid off. Had a car loan last year and still paying.

Again, depend on your situation and where your priorities are. For me, car is on top of my list. Public transportation has never been an option for me. I rather sacrifice other priorties for driving. Oh yeah, if you think you will leave US soon for teaching english oversea, then don't buy a car. You will lose lot of money when you try to resale it. However, if you think you will stay in US for years and can afford it then I think it's a good idea to own one. You will see how great it's compare to public transportation. If you are not good as remembering direction, then get a Garmin GPS. It's very good and cheap. Garmin is much better than the TomTom.

Kidd is right. But surely you must have read about the Somali piracy. It's big news and all over the papers.

Euthanasia is the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma, which is exactly what your point (in your earlier post) indicated.

sorry for the Singapore sux remark. i have nothing against Singaporeans. I'm sure it's a great modern civilizted society. Its just that the laws rub me the wrong way. Well Euthanasia is a controversial issue. you can hear arguments for both sides. i'm just amazed how they can choose a side in this sticky area and then ultimately ban the other side with capital punishment.

Unfortunately we don't have pirates here in north america.

You know, I think your family might be poor, but you still have a pretty decent life and living environment.
    Yes, my family follows common sense. We live with what we can afford.

I don't think you have really been in any really desperate or sticky situation.
    I had many crushes on many girls and they were all rejected me and no date throughout all those years. I don't know whether you can call it desperate or not. Anyway, I moved on shortly afterward.

If you have really been in as desperate a situation as Van Tuong Nguyen, your lack of empathy will be really bewildering. Seeing your world view and your view on various situations, I think you are very lucky.
    Well, I follow common sense, always live below the mean, and always have emergency fund (few thousand dollars, enough to last a few months) to back up in case of something happens, so of course I would never be in VTN situation. I don't consider it as lucky because everyone can do it if they wanted to.

You grow up with good parenting, a family that instill strong moral value in you. But, not everyone living in those bad neighbourhood and making bad judgement have your previlege and luck.
    What I have been doing is something very easy and simple. Everyone can do it. I don't consider that as a previlege. As for money itself, I know many many people that made a lot more money than me but due to their destructive lifestyle, many of them ended up in jail or got deported back to their original country for drug trafficking. Even till these days, I still unable to find a job that I wanted but I my life is still very decent with no bad debt. Yeah, I still haven't pay off my car loan which be ended in 2 years. The main reason that I have no sympathy with criminals because they simply live a life they can't afford that driven them into crime. Many of them have a job that make more than average joe...
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 06-26-09 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    What I have been doing is something very easy and simple. Everyone can do it. I don't consider that as a previlege.
    What I mean by previlege is you have good parents who gave you good upbringing and instilled into you good moral values so that being thrifty and living below you means and not going into crime is something very easy for you to do. That is your luck. Do were children born to drug junkies gambling parents have such previlege? Do children were born to gambling parents who are always in debt have such previlege? Do children were born to criminal parents have this previlege? Children are impressionable lots. What they obverse and learn from young will stick with them to adulthood and affect their decisions making.

I had many crushes on many girls and they were all rejected me and no date throughout all those years. I don't know whether you can call it desperate or not. Anyway, I moved on shortly afterward.
    I don't think that's what was meant by sticky and desperate situations It's situations that you get yourself into due to poor judgement and mistakes.

You should feel lucky that you are from Singapore where law is very strict and merciless toward criminals. The only downside is that driving is very expensive in your country and men have to serve in the military for a few years.