Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Chinese Americans seen in negative light.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    Agreed, a lot of westerners cannot tell the difference between various Asian sub-groups. But again, it's not specific to westerners. A lot of Asians can't tell the difference between different white groups, or Spanish-speaking cultures. I mean, really, the whole point of this post is to claim that Asians are far from the most hated people -- and that really, no one has it easy.

As far as most hated race, I don't hate Arabs, but the Arabs probably occupy the #1 coveted spot. America herself probably sits at #2, and America has an image of being primarily white. Asians are probably their own worst fan.

Most of the whites and blacks I know don't really care enough about Asians to invest hatred. They don't wake up first thing in the morning and think, "Damn Asians." Unless they're a biology major in college. They may not be our biggest fans, but they are not our biggest enemies.

Historically, I would make a casual observation that Asians could be the least-hated race. It just wasn't convenient or feasible to really get involved with Asians in any kind of a war; therefore, it wasn't really worthwhile to bother hating them. It was a lot easier to just hate your own people. If anyone killed a ton of Asians, it was usually Asians. The Japanese got themselves nuked by the USA, but they sort of asked for it, yes?

A general rule of history is that you're more likely to kill your own people first, followed by people next door -- but what's great about Asians is that they were rarely the people next door -- they were always the people "far to the east." Huge waste of time for the whites to even bother to hate us. They couldn't even get through Russia to say, "Hi, Asians, we hate you." If they wanted to sail over, it made more sense to just trade and pick up Asian women; certainly better than getting stomped. Africans probably didn't even know Asians existed. The Arabs were right next door but they were more worried about Crusaders and Jews, as well as rival islamic factions within. Besides, around that time China did a good job of sealing itself off from the rest of the west. If any race has been singled out for extermination by more than one culture, it is the semitic Jews. So Asians, particularly China, not too bad off historically. The Chinese are worse to their own people and terrtories than anyone else.

Hey, I can live with Asians not being the most favored race. But then again, who is?
    They probably despise Asians more than hate. So while they don't necessarily hate Asians, they look down on and disrespects Asians because they do not think we are 'up there' with them.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I was just making general statement. But I don't think Asians are singled out more than any other race, whether it's merely negative stereotyping or outright hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    They probably despise Asians more than hate. So while they don't necessarily hate Asians, they look down on and disrespects Asians because they do not think we are 'up there' with them.
    Again though, that's not a specific thing. Look at the Brits and how they treat the "lesser countries" within the United Kingdom. Even China has a reputation for "looking down" on other Asian countries, perhaps feeling they are not on par with them. Nothing really stands out to me in terms of singling out Asians as "not cool". It's more of a passive wariness and lack of trust, but that's normal for any "outsider" to experience.

If an Asian person does something cool, people react positively toward that. If an Asian does something stereotypically Asian and fobbish, they just kinda say "Damn Asians." But it's not part of an active desire to keep disliking Asians. As I was sayin before, few people really know or care enough about Asians to invest that kind of effort.

As Asians, I think we just need to keep trying to move forward if we want to improve things on the world perception stage. I like our chances, we can get up there.
    Last edited by ChuckC; 07-22-09 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I think in my first response to this thread, I pointed out that the way the survey is conducted has the potential for a lot of confounds.

But people just wanted to focus on the sensationalism of the article then.
    I did see your post, but it was so far back early by the time i jumped into this thread that i was too lazy to reference it

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I think in my first response to this thread, I pointed out that the way the survey is conducted has the potential for a lot of confounds.

But people just wanted to focus on the sensationalism of the article then.
    Flawed as the survey may be in terms of not meeting scientific/clinical study standards, the anti-Asian thing is still a real phenomenon. It may not be outright racism like what happened to black people and other minorities "back in the day," including Chinese immigrants, but there's certainly a negative bias there, at least for a certain percentage of Americans.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    The only solution is to steal their women and dilute their gene pool.
    That works too. Soon, their children will have small eyes and black hair, just like us! MUAHAHAHA!!

Joking (or maybe not?) aside, it's sad to be Chinese-American in a world that really discriminates against you.
    I think Chinese Americans hav done a great deal and with stereotypical Asian ethics we'll rule the world in feek and nerdom in a few short year. THEN we'll show everyone who is boss.
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bao View Post
    That works too. Soon, their children will have small eyes and black hair, just like us! MUAHAHAHA!!

Joking (or maybe not?) aside, it's sad to be Chinese-American in a world that really discriminates against you.
    I think Chinese Americans hav done a great deal and with stereotypical Asian ethics we'll rule the world in feek and nerdom in a few short year. THEN we'll show everyone who is boss.
    We shall see. I think sometimes Asians have the tendency to screw themselves up real good.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Springs_massacre

This is on the front page of wikipedia today. Whites massacreing a town of Chinese railway workers. Hadn't heard of the massacre before.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Springs_massacre

This is on the front page of wikipedia today. Whites massacreing a town of Chinese railway workers. Hadn't heard of the massacre before.
    You probably won't hear about it unless you take a specific Asian Am history class. Not that I've taken any or heard about the event. My guess is just that mainstream "American History" hardly bothers with the asian am history and don't cover every riot/massacre there is (regardless of race).
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 09-02-09 at 08:26 PM.

I saw a PBS special on early CHinese Americans, which dealt with the theme of discrimination extensively. Still, I didn't notice this massacre mentioned. I didn't catch the whole thing, maybe it was addressed, iono.

It just makes me sad and angry at the same time to think about how much it sucked to be Chinese for so many years. Really, until the 1980's, things were god awful. And things didn't become good until the 90's. Confused-ism f'ed up the country to the point that it was rotted to the core. Then more years of fragmentation under a corrupt and disunited KMT regime, then more years of oppression. And when they went overseas, they got treated like sith by whites. I majored in East Asian studies, and the accounts of 19th and early 20th century Chinese life was just horrible.

It makes me shake my head when Asian Americans discriminate against other groups. If they were born just several decades earlier, they would have more overtly felt the evil of prejudice and hatred (which still exist, just more latent and not as rampant). Just out of respect for your ancestors, stand up for equal rights. Goddam.
    ---

PS, Yingyingm all this time I thought you were against dental HMOs... Oops.
    Last edited by jiang bao; 09-02-09 at 09:11 PM.

Yes, I'm racist. So what about it.
    Wow, is this true?? You are a racist???

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I suck at math, and what's more, I *hate* it.
    Same here, Ken.
    I am the opposite. I love many topics of math. The best one is Differential Equations.

The treatment of the Chinese in Canada was much the same as in the US in the early years of their arrival in Canada. They overcame the discrimination by opening the ubiquitous 'Chinese Laundry' in many cities and small [sometimes very small] towns in the Prairie Provinces of the Canadian West. They also owned or operated small cafes and grocery stores in the same places. The first Chinese person I ever saw and talked with was when I was about 9 or 10. He was an elderly gentleman named Fung Lee who operated an ugly green fruit and vegetable wagon pulled by an old grey horse. He served the far east side of Regina Sask. and sold wholesaler purchased produce until his Market Garden produce was ready. On the day of his passage down our street, my sister and I were waiting, ready to call Mom out to make her purchases. We frequently got a free apple or peach from him.
    Now for this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...tion_to_Canada

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    The passive, make no trouble mentality has always been with Chinese Americans going back to the days when the Chinese first set foot in the US. The cause isn’t recent.

It is indeed the traditional mentality that's the problem. Of course in China’s history have been instances of men of action. In every single country’s history there have been men of action. That’s because it’s almost impossible to achieve fundamental changes in society without change. It’s not that the Chinese are incapable of action, it’s that the mindset under which we are brought up discourages making trouble and being submissive to authority. Chinese teaching is foolish and ill-prepares the population for confrontation. Its utter failure when cultures clashed in the 19th century shows that. What needs to be done is for all current Chinese-American (and other Asian-American) young parents and parents-to-be to teach your children to be independent, progressive, and strong-willed. Reject the conservative Asian culture and all remnants of Confucianism.
    Conservative Asian Culture and Confucian values are not cool but they make the Asian race succeeds in life. Why would you want them to reject all the values that make them great? Conservative Asian Culture and Confucian values should be embraced.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 07-01-13 at 01:15 AM.