Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Americans seen in negative light.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    "can't drive,"
    This one always makes me laugh, because in terms of actual skill, Asians in general seem to be *great* drivers. The reason that Asians have a reputation for being "bad" drivers isn't because Asians lack driving skill, but because we don't give a f*ck about pedestrians' and fellow motorists' safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    This one always makes me laugh, because in terms of actual skill, Asians in general seem to be *great* drivers. The reason that Asians have a reputation for being "bad" drivers isn't because Asians lack driving skill, but because we don't give a f*ck about pedestrians' and fellow motorists' safety.
    Not caring about others on the road or who may be affected by your driving constitutes part of bad driving. Being irresponsible isn't something to be proud of. Anyone can drive a car down the road (I mean, look at all the reports of little kids driving a car without a license until they're caught by cops), but that doesn't make them good drivers or responsible drivers.

Pretty much anytime I almost got run over by a car - the driver was Asian. Not a great thing in my opinion.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

No one is saying that Asians are actually all "geeks" or "pushovers." People are talking about stereotypes, which is what others perceive Asians to be, and stereotypes may or may not be true.

To be frank, I've heard all the positive and negative Asian stereotypes mentioned, more positive ones being Asians are "smart," "good at math," "hard-working," etc., and the bad ones being Asians are "geeks," "can't drive," "weak," "pushovers."

Every race/culture/group will have its positive and negative stereotypes. If you don't want it to affect you, break out of the stereotypes.
    no, it's not even that. I can buy stereotypes. But some people are actually claiming that most asians ARE pushovers. that's absurd.

yeah i heard of the "asians are good at math" stereotypes. But frankly, there are lot of asians who are not good at math.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 06-23-09 at 01:48 AM.

I don't give a shit about all those stereotypes and I don't think they are matter that much anyway. If you are successful and happy, that's all you need. In real life, all you need is good career, live in a big and nice house in a good neighborhood, driving a good car with a big bank account. Why do you care about what all the stupid people who have pretty much nothing think about you? Who care about people who only can afford burgers at McDonald think about you while you enjoy your hot bowl of shark fin soup? I think asian community as a whole in north america is pretty successful. We should keep it that way. I don't think having a asian american president is all that important anyway. I don't see how Obama can lift up the black ghettos from the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    yeah i heard of the "asians are good at math" stereotypes. But frankly, there are lot of asians who are not good at math.
    I suck at math, and what's more, I *hate* it.

Same here, Ken.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Same here, Ken.
    On the other hand, I can write rings around Englishmen and Americans IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE, so I really am some kind of strange mutant "Asian."

as much as you "hate" yang guo?

as much as you "hate" yang guo?
    Yeah, pretty much. Both had huge hands in ensuring that my adolescence would be a rocky one.

Yeah, pretty much. Both had huge hands in ensuring that my adolescence would be a rocky one.
    you'll have to tell me next time why Yang Guo shaped your adolescene. i'm VERY curious to hear about this one

you'll have to tell me next time why Yang Guo shaped your adolescene. i'm VERY curious to hear about this one
    Eh...I don't particularly want to revisit that. Some stuff floating around the Wuxia Forum and the Open Debate Forum from six months to a year ago will tell you all you need to know.

Just type in "Yeung Gor" in a search of thread titles for those two forums and you'll probably find more than you ever wanted to know.

Suffice it to say I hate the little bastard more than you'd think it'd be possible to hate a fictional character.

Eh...I don't particularly want to revisit that. Some stuff floating around the Wuxia Forum and the Open Debate Forum from six months to a year ago will tell you all you need to know.

Just type in "Yeung Gor" in a search of thread titles for those two forums and you'll probably find more than you ever wanted to know.

Suffice it to say I hate the little bastard more than you'd think it'd be possible to hate a fictional character.
    will do. curious to know how this "little bastard" ruined your life

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    What's new about the US and whites?
    With this statement aren't you expressing basically the same atitude toward whites as the 25% of Americans (who if the poll were conducted with any sort of statistical validity were probably not all white) have expressed toward Chinese Americans?
    Well, who isn't a racist at all? That opinion from GX is a needed instance (to make comparism) at least, which she is entitled to sound.

Plus, you can't compare an apple with a cherry, even though they're red.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    well how long have blacks been in the US? how big is their population compared to asians/hispanics/etc in the US? u gotta factor in everything...

not to mention, obama is half black half white and.... he technically is not american black but african black, huge difference imo in terms of this topic becuase american black are the people stereotyped(not my views) as the gangsters that u dont want to mess with, while african blacks are nice people that u can pick on
    Well, sorry, after all your factorisation, the reality is still the same. To change that, you have to quit stomping on your feet and show what an Asian you can be.

I guess I would stop demoralising you when few of the rest had already said enough (of reality - the past that influenced present, that is).
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 06-23-09 at 05:47 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

No one is saying that Asians are actually all "geeks" or "pushovers." People are talking about stereotypes, which is what others perceive Asians to be, and stereotypes may or may not be true.

To be frank, I've heard all the positive and negative Asian stereotypes mentioned, more positive ones being Asians are "smart," "good at math," "hard-working," etc., and the bad ones being Asians are "geeks," "can't drive," "weak," "pushovers."

Every race/culture/group will have its positive and negative stereotypes. If you don't want it to affect you, break out of the stereotypes.
    i dont get it, why do i have to break out of the stereotype and not live my life the way i want it? so even if im good at math (which im not), i should fail math on purpose? if im a bad driver, i should go drive 24/7 so i can master driving?

i dont know about u guys and trying to break out of the asian stereotype, but for me i enjoy what i do everyday and some of it fits in the asian stereotype and some dont, but i surely dont give a shit what other people think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post

Well, sorry, after all your factorisation, the reality is still the same. To change that, you have to quit stomping on your feet and show what an Asian you can be.

I guess I would stop demoralising you when few of the rest had already said enough (of reality - the past that influenced present, that is).
    im not demoralized at all, im not going to show what asians can be, i'll just show what i can be. im not going to go berserk on a person just because they talked some shit about asians, hell i talk shit about asians all the time and whites and blacks and latinos and w/e. but if they touch a hair of mines, then i'll kick their ***.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    The better question is where are YOU from, and why are you oblivious to the rest of the world.

Most Asians are tough? Haha, that really made my day!
    im from san francisco and u dont want to mess with asians here, we have guns and we control the black market, so ur not getting any weed if u do.

o come on, when u live in a city, when do cars care about pedestrians safety ever
    Last edited by LuNaR; 06-23-09 at 06:34 AM.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

im not demoralized at all, im not going to show what asians can be, i'll just show what i can be. im not going to go berserk on a person just because they talked some shit about asians, hell i talk shit about asians all the time and whites and blacks and latinos and w/e. but if they touch a hair of mines, then i'll kick their ***.
    Good! Whatever you want to be, you know at where you are, you're not livin in a world of your own but you make a reflection of your race.

im from san francisco and u dont want to mess with asians here, we have guns and we control the black market, so ur not getting any weed if u do.
    I'm sure that was not a question for you.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I agree that Asians tend to be not directly confrontational. Isn't 'ren' the word we are told to aim for?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

There are some who drive recklessly, but probably more who are just "bad" at driving. I.e. no sense of direction, don't know what to do, etc.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Most asians are normal asians. You can't possibly tell me most viets or most chinese are pushovers. You ever been to Vietnam, Korea or China? You're telling me most of the population are weak push-overs? Give me a ****ing break.
    China was and still is a Confucianist society where civil arts are respected much more than the fighting arts. That mentality hasn't changed much today. Chinese parents still want to put a leash around their children's neck. There's no wonder that these kids excel at academics but can't necessarily stand up for themselves when pushed over.

Yes, I visit China frequently and am going to Vietnam this year.

Remember, we Asians have historically let our own governments step all over us. The Cultural Revolution and the Cambodian Genocide are just 2 painful reminders of how weak we were as a society. We let our oppressive leaders take the lives of millions of our brothers & sisters, directly or indirectly, and we couldn't do anything about it.

Kinda hard to think of Asians as anything but weak and pushovers if you know your history.

It's also difficult to rise above this hell hole that we were in for so long. If we've learned anything from the past century, we've got to make sure we're strong so that we can stop taking this kind of crap from other people, including our own leaders. I don't think we're quite there yet, but we are making progress.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

If you are interested to know, I'm a racist not because I was brought up that way, but because of racism from the other side of the world. Yes, I know how ironic that is. But it's hard not to loathe them when they keep giving Asians the middle finger and 'kiss-my-***-you-low-class-human-beings' attitude, and the way they keep trying to lord it over us as if we are still in the colonial era.
    On one hand I understand your frustration - but on the other, your vague "they" and "them" frustrates me considerably...:-)
    You look at a very large and diverse group of people, focus on one of the worst of the many aspects of the culture and decide that this is "what they are". Who the hell are those "they", anyway? Do people who hate Bush, protest against war in Iraq or promote affirmative action count as well?
    BTW - when it comes to ethnocentrism and racism, Asian cultures have a long tradition in that, too. Chinese could tell stories about the Japanese, ethnic Tibetans, Uighurs or the modern Mongolians might have a story here or there to tell about Han Chinese...
    That sort of attitude is as old as culture itself - and (unfortunately) quite universally human.
    I suppose I can't change your attitude, neither am I in any position to preach (sorry for doing it)... But if it hurts you being negatively stereotyped, why making the same mistake...
    But you can of course dismiss it as a white rant...;-)
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

haha same with the asians in toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    China was and still is a Confucianist society where civil arts are respected much more than the fighting arts. That mentality hasn't changed much today. Chinese parents still want to put a leash around their children's neck. There's no wonder that these kids excel at academics but can't necessarily stand up for themselves when pushed over.

Yes, I visit China frequently and am going to Vietnam this year.

Remember, we Asians have historically let our own governments step all over us. The Cultural Revolution and the Cambodian Genocide are just 2 painful reminders of how weak we were as a society. We let our oppressive leaders take the lives of millions of our brothers & sisters, directly or indirectly, and we couldn't do anything about it.

Kinda hard to think of Asians as anything but weak and pushovers if you know your history.

It's also difficult to rise above this hell hole that we were in for so long. If we've learned anything from the past century, we've got to make sure we're strong so that we can stop taking this kind of crap from other people, including our own leaders. I don't think we're quite there yet, but we are making progress.
    i understand the history and the whole 'sick men of asia' during the hua yuan jia days. which is part of the reaosn why hua yuan jia stepped up for chinese pride against those foreigners.

maybe some of the older generations are civil pushovers, i dunno. most of the teenagers in china don't give a damn about confucius and civility. they care more about yao ming and basketball,working out and hitting the clubs on the weekend.
    just like any normal kid in north america.

Vietnam has a tough history. most are no pushovers either.

I guess you don't get the asian import-scene in north america? the flashy side of asians. import models. night clubs. rice boys. azian pryde. hip hop culture (like Jin for example) I don't know if you equate with that or not, but asian american culture is anything but weak or pushover-ish.