Thread: He Who Can't Marry (Korean Version of Kekkon Dekinai Otoko )

Default He Who Can't Marry (Korean Version of Kekkon Dekinai Otoko )

Korean TV producers have done it again. They've borrowed something from Japanese dramas and remade it. This time, they've remade Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. Somehow I really do not like K-dramas or even C-dramas "borrowing" from Japan.

http://asianmediawiki.com/He_Who_Can...uth_Korea-KBS2)
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

This to me is actually quite funny, because I am in complete contradiction to your stance.

I personally find this drama to be 910% better then the Japanese version [Kekkon Dekinai Otoko]!

I was originally a big anime fan who moved onto watching a few jdramas [denshan otoko being the only one i really have fond memories for anymore; though i vaguely remember liking hero and dragon zakura], but it wasn't my cup of tea so I went back to anime before discovering wuxia/cdrama/hkdrama/kdrama.

Recently I have went back to TRYING to watch J-drama, but i just find it to be absolute crap, and highly annoying to boot. It must be some kinda cultural thing that makes their dramas like that [kinda like tw drama], but they so frikking suck and seem so fake.

As far as I can see J-drama fails in comparison to anime.

There should be absolutely no reason to dislike Korean remakes of Japanese dramas since personally I find them to be way better. [This coming from a Canadian background, so maybe I just find Japanese/tw drama just to ALIEN in comparison to hk/c/kdrama]

I have watch both Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, and The Man Who Can't Get Married[as far as I could release wise], and personally The Man Who Can't Get Married is way way better. In the japanese version the main character was just a very uptight douchebag, but in the Korean version the guy was a classic Asperger's Syndrome case.[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome ]; Imo it is funnier when the main character is suffering from Asperger's then when he is just an uptight Douchebag.

Suet Seung have you tried watching the drama? Ordid you form an opinion strictly based off your annoyance in regards to Korean remakes of Japanese dramas? If you did watch the drama, and you are still annoyed please point out to me where exaclty the korean version fails to match/SURPASS the Japanese version.

There goes my long rant, sorry I have been drinking tonight and previously posted something about The man Who Can't Get Married in another thread so felt challenged lol.

Sorry for getting all anal!

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Somehow I really do not like K-dramas or even C-dramas "borrowing" from Japan.
    Remake makes reselling it back to Japan a lot easier.

The Devil King remake was a big hit in Japan, giving the original Devil King a chance to make the Japanese network broadcast slot by fan's demand. I doubt if the original would have made the Japanese airwave if the remake didn't introduce the series to Japanese audiences first.

Shooting these dramas cost millions of dollars, and currently the most reliable way of securing production funding is to get advance Japanese funding. And Japanese investors are most interested in remake of Japanese stuff for broadcast in Japan, the known quantity to them. The most notable series falling to this category was the Boys Before Flower, the "Made for Japan" series shot with mostly Japanese funding. The Korean network airing Boys Before Flower was so sure it would bomb in Korea that they took out a single broadcast license for pennies. Those executives must be banging their head against the wall now.

Obviously The Man Who Can't Marry is funded by Japanese investers too; it even stars Jee Jin Hee, the male lead from Dae Jang Geum.
    Last edited by JonDoe; 07-05-09 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    Obviously The Man Who Can't Marry is funded by Japanese investers too; it even stars Jee Jin Hee, the male lead from Dae Jang Geum.
    Even Im Ho, the king from DJG, is in here.

I started watching this show the other day as I was curious to see how it compares to the Japanese version. Frankly I'm not sure if it's worth my time continuing since the story is pretty much the same (duh) and the Korean version doesn't really bring anything fresh to the table in terms of the acting or otherwise. I also prefer the pug to the chihuahua.

JJH looks so awkward and stiff inhabiting the character of Kuwano which Abe Hiroshi pulled off so well. And the scenes seem so much more exaggerated for dramatic effect in He Who Can't Marry than the economical, subtlety portrayal of Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. Well, I guess it's just my personal preference for Japanese production which pretty much reflects the nature of its culture and people.

It's hard watching the Korean version when it duplicates much of the Japanese drama and well yeah, I love Ken-chan more. Those expressive, inquisitive and knowing expressions!

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts View Post
    JJH looks so awkward and stiff inhabiting the character of Kuwano which Abe Hiroshi pulled off so well. And the scenes seem so much more exaggerated for dramatic effect in He Who Can't Marry than the economical, subtlety portrayal of Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. Well, I guess it's just my personal preference for Japanese production which pretty much reflects the nature of its culture and people.

It's hard watching the Korean version when it duplicates much of the Japanese drama and well yeah, I love Ken-chan more. Those expressive, inquisitive and knowing expressions!
    I guess it also depends on which style of comedic acting one prefers.

My mum and sis watched the Japanese version with Abe Hiroshi years ago and they're quite delighted with the story and how The Dog in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko could have such chemistry with Abe Hiroshi. I watched the first episode and then I stopped, because I don't find the two lead ladies interesting. Abe's comedic moments felt just fine to me. His acting in other shows were also great.

When Arafa came out, I had great hopes for it. Then, I watched the first episode and then bits and pieces, then I stopped. I start to think comedic series with marriage as the theme doesn't appeal to me. But watching Amami Yuki in her other roles, I could say her acting style had always been great.

I did not watch the Korean version He Who Can't Marry, but it was reviewed in the local newspapers as being better executed than the Japanese version. I'd say the korean version probably improved on parts of the plot and put in a lot of methodical comedic acting style, so it'd become mainstream comedic fluff. As for the Japanese version, the comedic moments stems from Abe's character himself, so traditional Asians who love shows from the 90s will probably enjoy this version more.

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko is one of the best shows in that season right? Maybe that's also the reason why one would feel the Japanese version is superior to the Korean one. I agree the way the story developed was very original for its day, and it also reflected why Japanese are pushing off marriage.
    Last edited by Nefertari; 12-15-10 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Add on

^^It was one of the best rated back in that year I believe. But I don't think it's the reason why it's superior to the Korean version. I guess it depends on how you like your story told. I liked the progression of the story in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, and the lead characters. It was understated but well done without the dramatics that characterise The Man who Cannot Get Married. It was definitely a commentary and reflection of Japanese society and the trend for males and females to put off marriage. And Abe's breakout role.

^^It was one of the best rated back in that year I believe. But I don't think it's the reason why it's superior to the Korean version. I guess it depends on how you like your story told. I liked the progression of the story in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, and the lead characters. It was understated but well done without the dramatics that characterise The Man who Cannot Get Married. It was definitely a commentary and reflection of Japanese society and the trend for males and females to put off marriage. And Abe's breakout role.
    i'm watching The Man Who Can't Get Marry Now. It is funny, but I'd say JJH is not cut out for comedic roles. His facial expressions are not natural at all acting petty and fastidious. I've seen him act better in a lot of other shows. I like the rest of the cast in this show. It's quite well-balanced. As far as I remembered, Abe Hiroshi was great in his role. Cranky, prefectionistic and unintentionally funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    i'm watching The Man Who Can't Get Marry Now. It is funny, but I'd say JJH is not cut out for comedic roles. His facial expressions are not natural at all acting petty and fastidious. I've seen him act better in a lot of other shows. I like the rest of the cast in this show. It's quite well-balanced. As far as I remembered, Abe Hiroshi was great in his role. Cranky, prefectionistic and unintentionally funny.
    Yes, I caught bits of The Man Who Cannot Get Married. He seemed v uptight and I think he was trying to imitate Abe's delivery tooo much. I'm not sure why they needed so many episodes to tell the same story in the Korean version though.