Thread: Hero

Default Hero

I revisited the film HERO recently, and found that to my surprise, that there are many many feats of martial prowess that rivals and exceeds many legendary GL or JY characters.

Jet Li's Wu Ming (Nameless) and Tony Leung's Broken Sword can be placed near the top of any wuxia list.

Opinions?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Not surprising. Most wuxia movies tend to have more flashy moves and powers compared to written stories for the big-screen effect.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Yeah, even the crappiest of movie martial artists can make rocks explode, after all!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

yep, one could've mistaken XL18Z as an atomic bomb...

JY often describes that his wuxia heroes can take on few dozen soldiers easily but they will not withstand against combined force of hundreds of men. But Flying Snow and Broken Sword singlehandedly took down 3000 best troops of Qing dynasty. They are more of parallel to Yue Maiden.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Apart from taking on "unnumbered hordes" and the display of lightness skill on the lake at Jiuzhaigou, what other outstanding feats were there?

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Apart from taking on "unnumbered hordes" and the display of lightness skill on the lake at Jiuzhaigou, what other outstanding feats were there?

Turning the Universe Black and White?

Well the list of things that i found impressive in hero, that we would have positively gush if it is in a novel. I'll just use the actor's name for convenience.

1) Speed.
    In Jet Li and Donnie Yen's fight, he literally went through 3 or 4 droplets of water in a matrix-time-sequence before stabbing donnie yen. That is just fast.

2) Physical Strength
    Donnie Yen used his spear to bend the heavy looking swords of the Qing palace experts. Haven't read anything like that in a JY novel.

3) Agility
    In the famed Tony Leung and Jet Li fight, these guys can walk on water, and reverse their movement with ease, and still not fall into water

4) Accuracy
    In the white section of the movie, Jet Li singled out a white arrow amongst the thousands of other brushes while in the air.

5) Arrow breaking
    Better than any DGQB's description of the arrow breaking stance against an organised army

6) Mass fighting
    When Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung were storming into the palace, they made Ah Qing looks bad.

7) Qi
    Jet Li's killing Qi can literally move the direction of lamps. Also in Maggie Cheung and Zhang Zi Yi's fight, Maggie can keep ZZY many feets away using a Long distance shove-like attack.

8) Mastery of martial arts
    Tony Leung's character thought to gone past the stage where neither the hand or the heart has the sword. This is the highest level of martial arts in GL's world.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

actually those feats seem the same as described in both gulong and jinyong novels.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    1) Speed.
    In Jet Li and Donnie Yen's fight, he literally went through 3 or 4 droplets of water in a matrix-time-sequence before stabbing donnie yen. That is just fast.

2) Physical Strength
    Donnie Yen used his spear to bend the heavy looking swords of the Qing palace experts. Haven't read anything like that in a JY novel.

5) Arrow breaking
    Better than any DGQB's description of the arrow breaking stance against an organised army

6) Mass fighting
    When Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung were storming into the palace, they made Ah Qing looks bad.

Han Solo
    1. Dunno how to translate moving past water droplets into speed but I imagine DFBB could do that too.

2. Guo Jing busting the Chuan Zhen swords in ROCH?

5. According to Feng Qingyang's fanboy gushing of DG9J, the arrow breaking stance would have sent all those 'Hero' arrows _back_ to the firers....

6. Make Ah Qing look bad? I envision Ah Qing storming the palace the same way. And she was _alone_.

*In fact, given how the 2 of them stormed the palace, why the heck did Nameless have to go thru all that trouble? If he rustled up Moon/Swallow , Sky and himself (assuming Broken Sword did not play along), the 3 of em should have wiped out the palace.
    Last edited by CC; 07-04-09 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    6. Make Ah Qing look bad? I envision Ah Qing storming the palace the same way. And she was _alone_.

*In fact, given how the 2 of them stormed the palace, why the heck did Nameless have to go thru all that trouble? If he rustled up Moon/Swallow , Sky and himself (assuming Broken Sword did not play along), the 3 of em should have wiped out the palace.
    And Ah Qing was disarming them all too, not just storming through and killing. I'd imagine disarming all those guards to be much harder than simply going for killing strokes.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post

Well, there will be no movie then.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    And Ah Qing was disarming them all too, not just storming through and killing. I'd imagine disarming all those guards to be much harder than simply going for killing strokes.
    There's also the difference of speed/scale. Ah Qing moved through the whole of the army and disarmed them with such speed that it seemed like their weapons clanged to the ground in a long chorus. The Hero movie has nothing like that.

I actually came to the opposite conclusion. Despite the obvious visual embellishing and expensive special effects, I felt like nothing they did matched or exceeded the high tier abilities in the GL or JY novels.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    There's also the difference of speed/scale. Ah Qing moved through the whole of the army and disarmed them with such speed that it seemed like their weapons clanged to the ground in a long chorus. The Hero movie has nothing like that.

I actually came to the opposite conclusion. Despite the obvious visual embellishing and expensive special effects, I felt like nothing they did matched or exceeded the high tier abilities in the GL or JY novels.
    Well, at least it's a very entertaining and dazzling movie.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."