Thread: Gu Long 7 Weapons Discussion

Default Gu Long 7 Weapons Discussion

I admit I never liked Gu Long much and has always been an JY fan. But since starting these short stories, I am drawn to them and came to appreciate Gu Long style. So I thought I'd start a thread in tribute to the stories and the moral ending they have.

ps Hope there isn't another thread on 7 weapons.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Ok dearest, what's the stories about.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Ok dearest, what's the stories about.
    I guess appreciating the style is partly because I am reading the Chinese rather than the English translation. No disrespect to translators, but Gu Long's out loud thoughts are mores sensible in Chinese and a touch of wisdom rather than stating the obvious.

The stories also have interesting characters and not too much outlandish kungfu so far that PJ/CC have highlighted in the past in some of GuLong's other text. Characters are more relatable, not over the top whorish, intelligent/cunning, evil, honourable; with a more sensible background story.

Plot is shortish, yet manages to convey the theme adequately and to the point, none of the repetitive crap Gu Long has known to do in his more famous text.

I am up to book 3. So I can't speak for the later books. I expected weaponary discussion, but instead it was life themes that was signified by the respective weaponary.

Member of TC fanclub.

Which one is your fav. so far?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

I am kinda hoping someone would translate the third book so I can get a taste of a different Duan Yu lol.

From what I saw of the half baked version it seems awesome though it was too halfbaked so i dropped it after like 1 chapter or less lol.

I've on read 'Kong Que Ling'. I like the female lead Shuang Shuang. Can't comment much or it will spoil the ending. Wait until you finish first.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Which one is your fav. so far?

Han Solo
    I've only completed first two. The first one was very short, but it was sufficiently interesting to get me onto the second book. I like the second book better. Like kidd said, the female lead was very unique and interesting. I can see why characters within the book are drawn to her. Supporting characters, from the two male leads and other surrounding characters also generated interest in addition to the interaction the GuLong allows us to witness. I still have no idea what the weapon looks like, but who cares, the weapon is merely a symbol in the book.

I just begun the third book. This Duan Yu is infinitely more likeable than JY's 2nd edition TLBB DY. But that's still not saying much. Now I am trying to guess what the sabre symbolises.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I've only completed first two. The first one was very short, but it was sufficiently interesting to get me onto the second book. I like the second book better. Like kidd said, the female lead was very unique and interesting. I can see why characters within the book are drawn to her. Supporting characters, from the two male leads and other surrounding characters also generated interest in addition to the interaction the GuLong allows us to witness. I still have no idea what the weapon looks like, but who cares, the weapon is merely a symbol in the book.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    It's sad that the novel has to end this way. But, I guess it made the story more powerful than a happy ending where Gao Li just return the weapon to his friend after he defeated the bad guy. But, it's really really sad. I was so happy for the couple when GL defeated the bad guy, but it's so short live.

Too bad Xiao Wu just couldn't trust GL enough to let him live. Too big a burden is on his shoulder.

I've read a comment on this story on the net and I agree with the comment. Not only did XW not trust his friend, he did not trust his own ability and his family's ability either. Seeing the calibre of the servants that protected the weapon, the martial arts of the family is very high. But, he still feel the need to use the legend of the weapon to protect his family. Both he and GL did not have confidence in their own ability.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩