Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: chivalry is still alive?

Check out this piece on why nice guys don’t have gfs LOL. The writer sounds like a disgruntled person who seems to think being a “nice guy” means always having one’s panties in a bunch and that women are idiots. (Surely, some women do stupidly judge a guy by fashion – shoes, shirts like he says, but most don’t)

He does make some valid points, but he's basically stereotypically men into two groups.

http://ask.koubei.com/question/1408032101761.html
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

That article very poorly stereotypes men into two groups with no grey area, and also stereotypes women into some form of gold-digging, stupid beings. I'm surprised I was able to get through the whole thing (and what is up with the idiotic pictures on each page?).

I guess he may consider himself to be one of the "good guys" who doesn't get any. But rather than finding the problem with his own point of view (since if the article reflects his viewpoint on relationships and dating, then he clearly knows very little about either), he writes some self-deprecating article. Boohoo, if you can't get a girl, it's not because you're a "good guy," it's because you whine and ***** too much. I know of many guys who fit the "good guy" description, and they seem perfectly capable of getting girls. The difference is that they actually have self-esteems and don't whine and ***** about things.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Nice guys are perfectly capable of getting girls. Whiny, shy, passive guys, on the other hand...
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    lol Trinie, he didn't say it was right or wrong for the girl to do things for the guy.
    the topic of this thread IS about chivalry.. something people associate with the GUY doing things for the girl.
    Oh yea, I forgot about that.. Thanks for reminding me Kay. But then again, I still could not stand it so I tried to be fair too. Also, I think it is normal for us to go off topic in these threads too...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Check out this piece on why nice guys don’t have gfs LOL. The writer sounds like a disgruntled person who seems to think being a “nice guy” means always having one’s panties in a bunch and that women are idiots. (Surely, some women do stupidly judge a guy by fashion – shoes, shirts like he says, but most don’t)

He does make some valid points, but he's basically stereotypically men into two groups.

http://ask.koubei.com/question/1408032101761.html
    I just skimmed the article since I got lazy to read it but I don't really agree with everything the writer says. He is being to stereotypical and I don't like that at all... He also seems to whine and complain on and on about why he can't get a girl.... I just could not get pass the first page since I got really mad just skimming it.... That guy sounds kind of idiotic...
    Last edited by Trinie; 07-15-09 at 02:17 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Nice guys are perfectly capable of getting girls. Whiny, shy, passive guys, on the other hand...
    One of my pass crushes was a really shy guy and he had a girlfriend. I guess it just varies or maybe that girl "chased" him??

The problem with the writer and the article is everything is based on assumptions. And of course, the writer has very poor and unconvincing logical train of thought. To be a devil's advocate, I could probably write the same article but make it sound true.

The greatest weakness I found as a whole is assuming that any gender behaviour can be remotely, so singularly, generalised.

As to the writer, it seems he equates 'getting attention' with 'getting the girl'. Yes, maybe some girls may have an inclination towards bad guys (that James Dean syndrome), but 'falling in love' and staying with them is another issue.

The writer also doesn't seem to believe that a 'good guy' can be smart, have strong self-esteem, or attractive either.

More folly to when he believes that arguments would not ensue between a 'bad guy' and his gal. I don't believe a 'bad guy' would necessarily have the emotional understanding or sensitivity not to indulge in an argument - well maybe he may punch a wall, but I'd rather have an argument than violence.

And yes, obvious from the flavour of his argument, there is the assumption that all women have an IQ < 10.

Then of course, the definition of 'bad' is different for different people. I know a 'bad guy' in my own sense of the word, but he's so intelligent and sensitive (potentially insensitive at times too), that it blows my mind (and I don't consider myself an 'un-intelligent' person).

Though, the writer seems to adopt the 'juvenile deliquent' as the definition of a 'bad guy'. I believe a woman who is professional, well-educated, in touch with her emotional and intellectual faculties wouldn't look twice at such a guy. I'm sure there are better fish in the sea .

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    I believe a woman who is professional, well-educated, in touch with her emotional and intellectual faculties wouldn't look twice at such a guy.
    Would you like to buy a bridge and a flying piglet?
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Would you like to buy a bridge and a flying piglet?
    Forgive me for not getting the 'point' of what you are trying to say/suggest.

To break it down however, no one really wants to 'buy' a bridge (own one for profit and highway taxes yes). Flying piglet seems to suggest the impossible - technically possible if you strap a flying contraption to a piglet as you haven't ruled out 'non-organic' methods of flight. So, can I assume ridiculous impossiblity?

Whatever I've said I've made it quite clear with "I believe", I never made a statement, so it is a belief or even opinion. Especially in regard to the type of 'bad guy' described by the writer...by the way, did you read the article Candide?

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    Forgive me for not getting the 'point' of what you are trying to say/suggest.

To break it down however, no one really wants to 'buy' a bridge (own one for profit and highway taxes yes). Flying piglet seems to suggest the impossible - technically possible if you strap a flying contraption to a piglet as you haven't ruled out 'non-organic' methods of flight. So, can I assume ridiculous impossiblity?

Whatever I've said I've made it quite clear with "I believe", I never made a statement, so it is a belief or even opinion. Especially in regard to the type of 'bad guy' described by the writer...by the way, did you read the article Candide?
    Well the article is in Chinese so I think he did not read it. I just skimmed it since what the guy said was sooo ridiculous that I could not bare to read it all because it just made me really mad!!!! I think the guy who wrote the article is such an idiot!!!