Thread: Wrestling vs MMA

Default Wrestling vs MMA

I don't get the appeal of Wrestling. We all know it's fake. If you want to see violence, there's MMA. If you want to see muscles there's also MMA. The only reason I can think of is the drama they display (which is half the show time) around the ring. Which makes me think, hmm...drama, lots of muscly men -> closet gays.

That's my random vent for the day.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

It's the drama. the ongoing fued between wrestlers and sometimes opposing factions. I never did get into it myself but one of my best friends is and he's not gay. They know it's fake etc. Just like watching drama/tv shows they get hooked. And yes...it still doesnt exclude them from watching MMA also...so I understand.

on another note, I've always wondered if you get one of them Gigantic Wrestlers in a MMA ring, would a mmartist even be able to arm bar, or choke them out? LOL
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Just to clarify. I wasn't serious about the gay comment. There's a huge wrestling following and my bet is it's under-represented by that population.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    It's the drama. the ongoing fued between wrestlers and sometimes opposing factions. I never did get into it myself but one of my best friends is and he's not gay. They know it's fake etc. Just like watching drama/tv shows they get hooked. And yes...it still doesnt exclude them from watching MMA also...so I understand.

on another note, I've always wondered if you get one of them Gigantic Wrestlers in a MMA ring, would a mmartist even be able to arm bar, or choke them out? LOL
    If you follow Brock Lesnar in UFC, then it will answer how formidable it is for ex Giant Wrestler in the UFC.

Imagine people like Sid Vicious or Batista in UFC

Quote Originally Posted by rosely View Post
    If you follow Brock Lesnar in UFC, then it will answer how formidable it is for ex Giant Wrestler in the UFC.

Imagine people like Sid Vicious or Batista in UFC
    Brock has a little more practical fighting history than a lot of WWE. If you put someone like the Undertaker in the ring with a mid-card UFC fighter I think the results would be pretty shameful for the Undertaker.

Brock is also starting a little bit of drama in the UFC with his interviews. Anyone see his tirade after beating Frank Mir at UFC 100? He sounded an awful lot like Stone Cold Steve Austin except he claims to drink Coors instead of Bud because Bud won't give him any money.

Missouri.slim

yep....former NCAA heavyweight wrestling champ. The guy has a better wrestling pedigree than 99% of MMA athlete's out there.

Not sure about the WWE thing. I used to be a fan back in 1998...then I grew up..and that was the end of that.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

WWE is basically soap opera for males. Big hulky guys with oil rubbed over their bodies is not the most fun thing for me to watch, personally. But I certainly respect anyone else watching it for whatever reason. I can see how it would be entertaining.

As for application of wrestling in MMA, it is indeed a formidable skill.

GSP has a karate base, but is considered to be the best wrestler for MMA. If you watch his last 5 or so fights, it's most often just pure dominance at the wrestling end.

And yeah Brock is not just a wrestler anymore. He has deceptively quick reflexes and athleticism for a guy over 260 lbs., and that allows him to get quick power punches in. However, his wrestling base has made him one of the very best fighters at the top position when it goes to the ground.

We'll definitely see more people coming from WWE into MMA, but Brock is exceptionally good. Wrestling is proven to be a solid foundation on which you can build up your striking and jiu-jitsu skills.

The cinematic moves seen in WWE are just more entertaining to watch for some people. "Flying" moves are highly impractical in a real fight but they're cool to watch.

Plus here's just something campy yet exciting when a fighter pulls a named move or has a themed intro. I especially like the Undertaker's intro (the mist and lightning one -not the motorcycle one).
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Surely if you want to see violence, you should watch kick boxing etc. which shows disciplined violence. Its people fighting and teaches respect and sportsmanship...

Personally, I've never seen the attraction of wrestling etc.

Its the corruption and pollution of the younger generation's minds (like twilight).

Yeah, it's really true that Wrestling is scripted and fakey etc. LOL, but I challenge you to try it, if you can survive like 5 minutes in it. Those drop and things is still real. They just know how to minimize the impact to reduce the pain using various techniques.

But hey, pain is pain, however much you can reduce it LOL. Should check those TNA fight where people use tack or barbwire to fight. You can also ask you friend to hit you using a ladder or throw a chair to your face or hit your back and see how you can stand the pain LOL.