Thread: Deaths in TV Series

Default Deaths in TV Series

Never questioned these plots when I was younger but thinking back, not sure if certain "deaths" are possible. Which is why I don't think we see this very often these days.

Character "death" scenarios:

- Tongue Biting (apart from bleeding to death not sure how people end up dying after few seconds since there are well documented cases of living people with their entire tongues cut off)

- Running into Wall and Bang Head

- Falling face down then landing face up (but this is probably more of contination issue)

- Person can make 10 minute conversation with multiple gunshot/knife wounds, but the minor character dies after one shot

- Poisoned wine that is bubbling with acid (usually the reveal happens right after the person drops dead), considering that carbonated beverages are not popular in ancient times

it's tv and probably they have to make do with the censors ...

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    - Poisoned wine that is bubbling with acid (usually the reveal happens right after the person drops dead), considering that carbonated beverages are not popular in ancient times
    Doesn't the wine have to be spilt on the floor/carpet before it starts bubbling? It usually looks very innocent in the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Doesn't the wine have to be spilt on the floor/carpet before it starts bubbling? It usually looks very innocent in the cup.
    The cup is usually dropped before the wine starts to bubble. Must be a reaction to the carpet or floor.

My favorite was always the super palm thrust to the forehead for a quick suicide. I think it's funny and incredibly cool at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer88 View Post
    My favorite was always the super palm thrust to the forehead for a quick suicide. I think it's funny and incredibly cool at the same time.

LOL... along the same lines (but not quite a death) when person throws out a palm and "fei" (handicaps) someone's kung fu whereas the person can function reasonably well but cannot ever perform that particular bit of internal energy.

lol, this thread gave me a great laugh.

my favorite is when someone gets stabbed or slash with a sword, they start coughing blood :P

just remembered "Bleeding from the 7 orifices" death.

Exactly what are the seven orifices?

Mouth
    Nose (2?)
    Eyes (2?)
    Ears (2?)

I guess that makes seven....so many wuxia deaths can be solved by blood transfusion....sigh..

Never questioned these plots when I was younger but thinking back, not sure if certain "deaths" are possible. Which is why I don't think we see this very often these days.

- Tongue Biting (apart from bleeding to death not sure how people end up dying after few seconds since there are well documented cases of living people with their entire tongues cut off)

- Falling face down then landing face up (but this is probably more of contination issue)

- Person can make 10 minute conversation with multiple gunshot/knife wounds, but the minor character dies after one shot

lol ... these remind me of so many funny death scenes in ancient series, hahaha
    My favorite is death after giving all "internal energy" to so else. I call this: Tired to death
    Howerver, out of all the death scenarios, the number one case where a person should die 99% when he/she fails down into a high/deep valley/hill/hole/lake will 99% turn out the other way around where they wont die, but instead will get something really good out of it (eg. a crazie secret kungfu scroll)
    Last edited by michoux36; 08-06-09 at 06:27 PM.

One death scenario that comes to mind is when a character has his/her throat slit, but can still talk for the longest time before rolling the head to the side and finally die. Even if the person doesn't die instantly, he/she would not be able to talk.

- Tongue biting can be deadly
    - Running into a wall head first is deadly, but the shows did over exaggerate those scenes. (P.S why you capitalize wall and bang head?)
    - Agreed with this one, but I can see why they did it. The minor characters are obviously minor so them dieing fast or slow does not change anything. Main character die slowly to add more drama/tension to the scene, but once again they over emphasize the death scenes of main characters.
    - I really don't' know what to say on this one never a fan of those scenes.

Another classic - hitting the death acupoint "sei yuet" on the enemy - for TVB its usually the armpits or bottom of feet that are only parts on body that are otherwise indestructible. Even saw one show where Diamond Body protection even covered the eyeball but didn't apply to adam's apple.

Poison clearing by way of sucking blood or transfering it to someone else (for a period in TVB history it was via sex with a virgin in an abandoned temple - search wuxia boards for more details). The first poisonee somehow survives for days but the poison sucker somehow only has minutes to live and usually gets the antidote in the nick of time.

When a big mob of people chase after the main character through a corridor and the hero turns around and picks them off one by one but they keep on coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ckrazy View Post
    - Tongue biting can be deadly
    - Running into a wall head first is deadly, but the shows did over exaggerate those scenes. (P.S why you capitalize wall and bang head?)
    - Agreed with this one, but I can see why they did it. The minor characters are obviously minor so them dieing fast or slow does not change anything. Main character die slowly to add more drama/tension to the scene, but once again they over emphasize the death scenes of main characters.
    - I really don't' know what to say on this one never a fan of those scenes.
    Capitalized the head bang because it seemed to only happen frequently on TVB series like a trademarked item. I think it is currently out of favor though.

Quote Originally Posted by michoux36 View Post
    Howerver, out of all the death scenarios, the number one case where a person should die 99% when he/she fails down into a high/deep valley/hill/hole/lake will 99% turn out the other way around where they wont die, but instead will get something really good out of it (eg. a crazie secret kungfu scroll)
    This is one of the best thing about wuxia/ancient serials. If you are the protagonist, everything will go your way regardless.

Another classic - hitting the death acupoint "sei yuet" on the enemy - for TVB its usually the armpits or bottom of feet that are only parts on body that are otherwise indestructible. Even saw one show where Diamond Body protection even covered the eyeball but didn't apply to adam's apple.
    This scenario happens a few time but not exclusively by TVB. ATV, Mainland China, Taiwan, ect... also use this as well.

Poison clearing by way of sucking blood or transfering it to someone else (for a period in TVB history it was via sex with a virgin in an abandoned temple - search wuxia boards for more details). The first poisonee somehow survives for days but the poison sucker somehow only has minutes to live and usually gets the antidote in the nick of time.
    Yeah, this happen quite often. It's not always transfer poison to some else. There are lot of cases where a protagonist got fire deviation and having sex with a virgin is the only way to save his life. There is always a virgin heroine willing to sacrifice for him. While this is not logical, but somehow I guess people love it and good for the plot so they use it quite frequently.

When a big mob of people chase after the main character through a corridor and the hero turns around and picks them off one by one but they keep on coming.
    Yeah, not only that. Usually the boss wait until all of his followers die before he start fight the protagonist and got kill knowing he is not as good as the protagonist. My question is why didn't he join the fight when his follower still alive?

Capitalized the head bang because it seemed to only happen frequently on TVB series like a trademarked item. I think it is currently out of favor though.
    This happen quite frequently but not exclusively by TVB.

how about sex to cure deadly poison? that has to be the worst right?

Extras are paid to die not chew up screen time.

The one I really like is when someone gets poisoned and manages to survive so long but when another person that is not the main character does to suck it out thet die right away. After having their moment of glory ofcourse. But than some just get sick and recover.

These people obviously need to learn the art of spitting.

lol this thread got me cracking up, so funny. Its true ppl always jump off the cliff and never dies.