Thread: Equal effort, unequal results: how "personally" do you take it?

Default Equal effort, unequal results: how "personally" do you take it?

The world is not an innately a fair place. "Fairness," in fact, is a human construct...something that matters greatly to most people, but a concept that probably does not exist (at least not as human beings understand it) in the natural universe.

Taking that principle to an everyday level, we all know that in life, equal efforts are not always rewarded by equal results. Two people can do more or less the EXACT same thing, but whereas one is richly rewarded for his/her efforts, the other gets nothing but frustration and disappointment out of more or less the same effort.

When you're on the losing end of this equation, do you take it personally and become resentful about it? Or do you accept that that's simply the way life is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The world is not an innately a fair place. "Fairness," in fact, is a human construct...something that matters greatly to most people, but a concept that probably does not exist (at least not as human beings understand it) in the natural universe.

Taking that principle to an everyday level, we all know that in life, equal efforts are not always rewarded by equal results. Two people can do more or less the EXACT same thing, but whereas one is richly rewarded for his/her efforts, the other gets nothing but frustration and disappointment out of more or less the same effort.

When you're on the losing end of this equation, do you take it personally and become resentful about it? Or do you accept that that's simply the way life is?
    only thing to do is work harder, if you work and work at it and there's not enough time, then there's nothing you can do about it.

Suck it up and move on. If everything was fair and equal, life would be boring.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Suck it up. Life isn't fair. If you feel that your efforts do not correspond to the results you want to get, then try and see if you can do something different. I always believe that if you truly wish to accomplish something, you will be able to as long as you really try.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

What's fair and how much effort you gave is subjective anyhoo. If you feel like you got short changed, next time slack off a little. No use getting mad over it. It's not gonna change anything unless you do something about it.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

I should say, it's a bliss to have limited memory power in this instance. So, you won't have the mental strength to extend further thoughts and rather just pass on and move forward after taking a deep, deep breath.

It's just like, you unintentionally let out gas in a room, why bother to surrender yourself and tell the whole room "I did it!" when you can simply say "Excuse me" to the small group surrounding you?

Simply learn from mistakes and be less gungho next time.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Two people can do more or less the EXACT same thing, but whereas one is richly rewarded for his/her efforts, the other gets nothing but frustration and disappointment out of more or less the same effort.
    That is rarely true. The one losing tends to think that he's doing the exact same thing or even more, but often he isn't. Effort alone doesn't get you rewarded handsomely. You gotta be good with people who hand out the rewards. Usually the ones who get shafted are bad with people.

Those little extra things complete the rules of the Game. However that's not what it's supposed to be on paper, which is why some people get frustrated as they don't understand all the rules.

There's a reason why they say "Work Smarter, not Harder".

One of my previous co-workers only ever did the bare minimum in any job but he was very good with people so he kept getting promoted and now is in a great job with crazy $$$$. If you don't know how good with people he is, you'd think that it's grossly unfair, but when you compare him with his harder working co-workers who are a bunch of socially clueless geeks, it's obvious why he gets rewarded and they don't.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."