Thread: "District 9" and parallels to Jin Yong wuxia

Default "District 9" and parallels to Jin Yong wuxia

In watching the excellent sci-fi thinkpiece, I was reminded of some Jin Yong parallels, and I thought I'd just share those thoughts

***SPOILERS***

In particular, the way that everyone in the movie wanted the arm, evokes how many individuals in Smiling Proud Wanderer wanted the Sunflower Manuscript. Both the arm and the manuscript were actually damaging to the body (I consider eating alien arm and/or undergoing inter-species mutation to be damaging), yet the power-hungry people lusted all over for it, as if it was the best thing since fried chicken.

The "interracial" Wikas also evoked Xiao Feng from Demi Gods Semi Devils. Both were torn over their new-found race. The difference is that while Xiao Feng was neutral and did not favor a side, Wikas seems to have chosen to become an enemy of his original race (not much of a choice for him, but he was definitely more aggressive to his original race than Xiao Feng).

Any other parallels you see?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I won't be able to draw any comparisons but thought that District 9 was a really great movie, lining up with Star Trek as my favorite films so far this year.

it's nothing to do with ur theme istrict 9" and parallels to Jin Yong wuxia anyway , i luv this movie as well really great

Saw D9 3 times so far. Yeah I rate it up there with Star Trek as the top two films of the summer, as well as top 10 Sci-Fi films of the decade.

Christopher Johnson is my favorite character. I liked him right away because I tend to like savior characters in film and in literature. I'm not religious, but it's always fun trying to identify that type of character. If you take the initials CJ, it is the opposite of JC (Jesus Christ). I got this idea because I read the American classic Grapes of Wrath, in which there is a Jesus character named Jim Casey whos initials were intentionally "JC" .

I like how Van der Merwe is like the unwilling savior character and paired up with CJ. I really loved that character interaction. At the beginning you have Van der Merwe showing complete disrespect for CJ, but eventually is willing to give up his life for him. It's probably the most powerful moment of the film and that's why I'll remember it.

Movies like GI Joe and Transformers failed to create that type of emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    Saw D9 3 times so far. Yeah I rate it up there with Star Trek as the top two films of the summer, as well as top 10 Sci-Fi films of the decade.

Christopher Johnson is my favorite character. I liked him right away because I tend to like savior characters in film and in literature. I'm not religious, but it's always fun trying to identify that type of character. If you take the initials CJ, it is the opposite of JC (Jesus Christ). I got this idea because I read the American classic Grapes of Wrath, in which there is a Jesus character named Jim Casey whos initials were intentionally "JC" .

I like how Van der Merwe is like the unwilling savior character and paired up with CJ. I really loved that character interaction. At the beginning you have Van der Merwe showing complete disrespect for CJ, but eventually is willing to give up his life for him. It's probably the most powerful moment of the film and that's why I'll remember it.

Movies like GI Joe and Transformers failed to create that type of emotion.
    You really like to bring out the worse in everything do you? Hanna Montana, Megan Fox and now GI Joe and Transformers. Obviously you won't find any valuable substance with such blockbusters, that's a big DUH!

District 9 was very original IMO and I liked it, but I didn't like it as much to go watch it three times! How many time did you watch Star Trek then?
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?