Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009/2010 Football Season

Default 2009/2010 Football Season

Arsenal is off to a great start with the 6-1 drubbing of Everton and with the 2-0 win over an unlucky Celtic in Glasgow have taken a big step toward qualifying for the Champions League group stage. Interestingly Arashavin was not much of a factor in either game.

Burnley gets its first top flight win in 33 years with a win over the defending champs.

wow, you got me so confused for a moment until I realized you were talking about Soccer...

Man Utd once again proved how poor their penalty-taking abilities are. Perhaps the best way to deal with them in tournaments, is to drag them all the way to penalties. No doubt who would lose!

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    wow, you got me so confused for a moment until I realized you were talking about Soccer...
    It's football. Soccer is an American word and they are probably the only ones who use the term. They've kept the name 'football' to their own... erm, ball game which doesn't involve kicking the ball.

To differentiate, the full name is association football.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Man Utd once again proved how poor their penalty-taking abilities are. Perhaps the best way to deal with them in tournaments, is to drag them all the way to penalties. No doubt who would lose!

It's football. Soccer is an American word and they are probably the only ones who use the term. They've kept the name 'football' to their own... erm, ball game which doesn't involve kicking the ball.

Yea, I get that. Its just I'm more used to discussing American Football. Had I known it was about Soccer, I wouldn't have read the thread because quite frankly, I don't have a clue about Soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    Yea, I get that. Its just I'm more used to discussing American Football. Had I known it was about Soccer, I wouldn't have read the thread because quite frankly, I don't have a clue about Soccer.
    The same can be said for me. You don't know how many times I've been lured into football threads only to find out it's American 'football'.

I was wondering if you saw the game? I didn't but just looking at the match stats for possession, shots and corners it looks like United was dominant but just couldn't get the ball in the net.

I saw the second half of the Barca-Man City game. Neither team played their best 11, but Barca just couldn't score despite being being in complete control. It was entertaining if frustrating to watch.

I debated whether or not to put soccer in the title in affter football but didn't bother. I guess I should have. One thing though, soccer actually isn't an American word although we use it. The term is a shortening of association whose origin usually credited to Charles Wreford Brown, a student at Oxford who played for England and who was involved in the FA.

The game is also called soccer in Canada and Australia, and I believe New Zealand.
    Last edited by Wanlie Tong; 08-20-09 at 09:16 AM. Reason: I can't spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    I was wondering if you saw the game? I didn't but just looking at the match stats for possession, shots and corners it looks like United was dominant but just couldn't get the ball in the net.

I saw the second half of the Barca-Man City game. Neither team played their best 11, but Barca just couldn't score despite being being in complete control. It was entertaining if frustrating to watch.
    No, because I couldn't and didn't have the chance to watch it. That was why I was commenting on the penalties.

I debated whether or not to put soccer in the title in affter football but didn't bother. I guess I should have. One thing though, soccer actually isn't an American word although we use it. The term is a shortening of association whose origin usually credited to Charles Wreford Brown, a student at Oxford who played for England and who was involved in the FA.

The game is also called soccer in Canada and Australia, and I believe New Zealand.
    I stand corrected! I learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info!

All right. Arsenal continues to score goals for fun by beating Portsmouth 4-1, while Man Utd beats Wigan 5-0.

Any comments and thoughts on these two matches, Wanlie Tong?

All right. Arsenal continues to score goals for fun by beating Portsmouth 4-1, while Man Utd beats Wigan 5-0.

Any comments and thoughts on these two matches, Wanlie Tong?
    I didn't see any EPL games this weekend. Guo Xiang ( : played in an out of town tournament so I was at her games all weekend. Her team looked good but the competition was weak. They finished second losing lost 1-0, in the finals in a game they dominated. They created all kinds of scoring chances but couldn't find the back of the net.

Without having seen either of the games you mentioned I would say that United's win was more impressive since Portsmouth will likely be playing in the Championship and not the Premiership next next season.

As you said Arsenal has been scoring goals almost effortlessly, I hope they can keep it up. This weekend's game should answer a lot of questions about both Arsenal and United.

Besides Guo Xiang ( : 's games the big result for me this weekend was Barca winning the SuperCopa 5-1 on aggregate for their first trophy of the season.

Chelsea has surprised me, I thought they would have problems with Fulham who are tough to score on. Instead they handled them with ease. Of course they looked great at the beginning of last season as well.

Edit: Liverpool has managed to equal their loss total for all of last season in only three games. The scousers are going start calling for Rafa's sacking again.

Also, I forgot to ask for your opinion of Tottenham. Can they qualify for the Champions League as some say? They are off to a great start but will they fade as Aston Villa did last year? I would love to see some new teams finish in the top four. (But not City.)
    Last edited by Wanlie Tong; 08-24-09 at 06:56 PM.

Another nice win for Arsenal (even though the penalty call was absurd) 3-1 over Celtic which moves arsenal into the group stages of the Champions League. It will be interesting to see if they can keep it up against United at Old Trafford. I think they will.

Default Champions League Draw

Champions League Draw

Arsenal looks to have the easiest draw with no opponent from one of the big European leagues. Eto'o will have the chance to show that Pep made a mistake.

Group A - Bayern Munich, Juventus, Bordeaux, Maccabi Haifi
    Group B - Manchester United, CSKA Moscow, Besiktas, Wolfsburg
    Group C - A.C. Milan, Real Madrid, Marseille, Zurich
    Group D - Chelsea, Porto, Atletico Madrid, APOEL Nicosia
    Group E - Liverpool, Lyon, Fiorentina, Debreceni
    Group F - Barcelona, Inter Milan, Dynamo Kyiv, Rubin Kazan
    Group G - Sevilla, Rangers, Stuttgart, Urziceni
    Group H - Arsenal, AZ Alkmaar, Olympiacos, Standard Liege
    Last edited by Wanlie Tong; 08-27-09 at 02:54 PM.

United must win according to Sir Alex. I think this is more a motivational speech on his part than a statement of reality. If Arsenal beats them for the league by 3 points or less then you can look back at this game and say it was critical. For now it is just the best match up of the young season to date.
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle134861.html

The Sun reports that Arshavin admits that he is not fit yet. I he didn't know when the season started so he could't start working out and eating less.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ig-Andrey.html

Adebayor says he joined City for "football reasons". Yes, they gave him millions of reasons to play football for them.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/englan...asons-emmanuel

That's what I think too. Things seem to be going well for Arsenal this season. Now we will just have to see if they can maintain their form.

That's what I think too. Things seem to be going well for Arsenal this season. Now we will just have to see if they can maintain their form.
    Well, they played fairly well but still lost to United thanks to an own goal and a questionable penalty. Arsenal has to be stunned that they lost because United showed absolutely nothing and looked like a team that will be lucky to qualify for the Champions League next season. United's midfield looked simply awful.

Lucky win for Arsenal yesterday. Never rated Mannone but he did well yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by thesoothsayer View Post
    Lucky win for Arsenal yesterday. Never rated Mannone but he did well yesterday.
    Arsenal didn't play particularly well, but I am, not sure that luck had much to do with it. Mannone played very well as you wrote and saved the day for for Arsenal. The goal was was the result of a nice pass followed by a nice finish.

They played better than man utd did against Wolfsburg.
    Pretty sad/good (depends how you look at it) to see that they need Giggs to play such a big role. Berbs had a good game though.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    They played better than man utd did against Wolfsburg.
    Pretty sad/good (depends how you look at it) to see that they need Giggs to play such a big role. Berbs had a good game though.
    I would go with sad. The good news is that Chelsea looked worse than both United & the Gunners.