Thread: Chen Bao Guo

Default Chen Bao Guo

I can't believe there isn't a thread about Chen Bao Guo here. My favorite veteran Chinese mainland actor, his acting props is at least on par with Chen Dao Ming, and in my opinion he is even more versatile. He has appeared in at least 90 TV series since 1981 in addition to more than 20 movies, winning a whole slew of acting awards.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.chenrujia.com/CBG1.jpg')

As the title character in Han Wu Da Di

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.chenrujia.com/CBG2.jpg')

As Vicky Zhao's dad in Moment in Peking

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.chenrujia.com/CBG4.jpg')

Man in Black being interviewed

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.chenrujia.com/CBG3.jpg')

Chen Bao Guo collectors' stamps
    Last edited by lilywhite; 08-23-09 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilywhite View Post
    I can't believe there isn't a thread about Chen Bao Guo here. My favorite veteran Chinese mainland actor, his acting props is at least on par with Chen Dao Ming, and in my opinion he is even more versatile. He has appeared in at least 90 TV series since 1981 in addition to more than 20 movies, winning a whole slew of acting awards.
    This is probably not what you meant, but appearing in a whole slew of productions doesn't necessarily make an actor versatile...sometimes it just means he's less selective than he should be. A friend of mine was actually so sick to death of Chen Bao Guo after seeing him in so many series that he swore him off for awhile. Personally, I do think Chen Bao Guo is a decent actor, just not one of my favorites. I don't think I've seen enough of his works to appreciate his versatility. Anyone seen Da Ming Wang Chao 1566? I heard it's a good one.

Thanks for your reply, Lady Zhuge, although I know you are not a CBG fan.

One thing that I love about CBG is that his reputation in the acting circle has always been solidly based on his work, not his personality or looks or gossip intrigue. I'm sorry your friend is sick of seeing CBG on TV, and 90 plus TV series do seem to be an overkill to onlookers, but I don't think he can help it, and I know a workaholic when I see one.

Even before the resurgence of his popularity in 2000 with the character of Bai Jing Qi in Da Zhai Men, he had been constantly appearing in a wide range of roles, covering from the lowest facets of society to the supreme rulers and everyone in between. My personal favorites are his portrayal of antiquated intellectual Master Zha from the 90's series Xiao Jing Hu Tong, and the street hooligan "Glasseye" from the movie Shen Bian, quintessential blasts from the past for Old Beijing and Tianjin respectively. I can't sing enough praises for his deft handling of such complex and quirky characters. To give you an idea, think Ge You's scene-stealing birdcage-toting Master Yuan from Farewell My Concubine. Another standout is the cowardly incompetent emperor from Wu Ze Tian (1995), just watch that in contrast with his straight-arrow heroic Captain Deng from Bei Yang Shui Shi (1996).

Of CBG's recent work, the role of King Gou Jian of Yue from the series of the same name (2007) certainly highlighted his ability to channel the almost schizophrenic personality of this character and transit among polar-opposite emotions with enviable ease. As far as Da Ming Wang Chao 1566, I have only seen clips of it so far which already look very impressive, I read rave reviews online as well for the series, I will likely buy this series in the near future.

It is expected that CBG does not have many fans overseas, most of the TV series he has been in are historical dramas requiring considerable familiarity with Chinese history and culture to fully appreciate. Even in China, most of his fans are of an older generation and don't tend to be as active on the Internet. Nonetheless, he is well known and well-liked by Chinese TV audience, judging by the almost 30 million votes he received in a 2007 Sohu online poll about favorite actors which won him the title of "King of TV" for that year.

A fine job of highlighting some of his works, lilywhite. I'm trying to recall what dramas I've seen him in...Yi Shou Tuo Liang Jia, Da Zhai Men, Han Wu Da Di, Wu Ze Tian, Jian Lin Tian Xia, Jiang Shan Feng Yu Qing, Ping Zong Xia Ying. Some of them were just guest roles, though. I can't say I really liked any of the characters he played and none have jumped out or stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by lilywhite
    It is expected that CBG does not have many fans overseas, most of the TV series he has been in are historical dramas requiring considerable familiarity with Chinese history and culture to fully appreciate. Even in China, most of his fans are of an older generation and don't tend to be as active on the Internet. Nonetheless, he is well known and well-liked by Chinese TV audience, judging by the almost 30 million votes he received in a 2007 Sohu online poll about favorite actors which won him the title of "King of TV" for that year.
    Just imagine how many more votes he would have garnered if more of his fans were active internet users. The problem with his lack of overseas fans is shared by almost every other Chinese veteran actor if the level of activity at this forum provides any indication. And at least he has a thread here now, whereas ones for Wang Gang or Zhang Guo Li are nowhere to be found. Off topic here, but I've recently developed a much better appreciation for ZGL's acting chops and popularity after watching Jin Hun.

Of the series you mentioned, the only one I've seen in its entirety is Da Zhai Men. I also watched several episodes of Wu Ze Tian, and thought CBG was almost unrecognizable in there, which is certainly a tribute to his acting skills. He rarely portrays upstanding characters, but I generally have no problem distinguishing between a character actor and the roles they play.

As for Zhang Guo Li, I haven's been exposed to much of his work so I can't comment on his acting. I did watch several episodes of Ji Xiao Lan but gave up since I did not like the series. Honestly I am a bit upset that he was cast in the role of Generalisimo Jiang in the upcoming film Jian Guo Da Ye, I think it's a huge mistake on the part of the director.

Quote Originally Posted by lilywhite View Post
    Of the series you mentioned, the only one I've seen in its entirety is Da Zhai Men. I also watched several episodes of Wu Ze Tian, and thought CBG was almost unrecognizable in there, which is certainly a tribute to his acting skills. He rarely portrays upstanding characters, but I generally have no problem distinguishing between a character actor and the roles they play.
    I'm with you here. Some upstanding characters can be boring and nowhere as interesting as skillfully portrayed, multi-faceted antagonists. Some that stand out for me are Wang Hui Chun's 8th Brother in Yong Zheng Wang Chao, Bao Guo An's Cao Cao in Rot3K 1994 and Wallace Chung's Gu Xi Zhao in Ni Shui Han. I didn't recognize anyone in Wu Ze Tian the first time I saw that series 'cause I was nowhere as attuned to Chinese thespians as I am now. The second time I watched it, I was able to recognize Chen Bao Guo and others (including Bao Guo An as Li Shi Min) despite the relatively heavy makeup because I actually knew who to look for.

Have you seen Gong An Ju Zhang by any chance? I was wondering if it focuses more on police cases or drama in the lives of the police officers?

As for Zhang Guo Li, I haven's been exposed to much of his work so I can't comment on his acting. I did watch several episodes of Ji Xiao Lan but gave up since I did not like the series. Honestly I am a bit upset that he was cast in the role of Generalisimo Jiang in the upcoming film Jian Guo Da Ye, I think it's a huge mistake on the part of the director.
    I never thought much of Zhang Guo Li until I saw Jin Hun. He's not a looker by any means, I didn't find him to be that funny or charismatic, and his performances never wowed me. Ji Xiao Lan was okay, but overrated.

I agree with you on his casting as Jiang Jie Shi. Chen Dao Ming would have been a much better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    Have you seen Gong An Ju Zhang by any chance? I was wondering if it focuses more on police cases or drama in the lives of the police officers?
    No, I've not seen that series, actually I can't say I've seen any police drama produced by mainland. Generally I prefer series set in ancient times.

Btw I did like Bao Guo An as Cao Cao in the TV series Romance of the Three Kingdoms (he also did a great job as Wu Zi Xu in King Gou Jian of Yue opposite CBG). I think he was the only actor in that series whose portrayal of the character was very close to what I had in mind. Romance of the Three Kingdoms have been my favorite book since childhood, no screen version would be good enough for me. I was certainly appalled by John Woo's film version, it made you wonder if he had ever read the book.