Thread: Wong Yung's armored vest vs. Little Dragon Girl's protective gauntlets

Default Wong Yung's armored vest vs. Little Dragon Girl's protective gauntlets

If Person A were to put on Little Dragon Girl's protective gauntlets, then use his/her hands to strike Person B, who is wearing Wong Yung's armored vest, with full force, would Person A injure his/her hands?

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

no because both the gloves and vest are interpenetratable. they are defensive mainly. the gloves could only used as a weapon in that the user can strike the opponent full force without worrying about injury to ones own hands. the vest had thorns but unless you get into wrestling moves, the opponent only gets injured when hitting you. heaven sword, and dragon sabre. can they cut the gloves or vest? that would be an interesting question.
    Last edited by kyss of the sword; 08-26-09 at 08:42 AM.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

The HS and DS might not be able to cut through - giving the vest and gloves the benefit of the doubt. But there is no way that the wearer would be uninjured unless backed up by some inner power.

What Kyss said. Vest still better imo. Both not that useful against highlevel fighters.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

The vest was never that grea to start with, neither were the gaultlets.

I recall heaps of people hitting the vest and only got a few pricks, but counted as defensive power, then the vest beats the gaultlets but if your counting more offensive power then they gauntlets would win.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post

I recall heaps of people hitting the vest and only got a few pricks, but counted as defensive power, then the vest beats the gaultlets but if your counting more offensive power then they gauntlets would win.
    Lacing the spikes with OYF poison however makes it the ultimate taking the enemy down with you when vsing a palm user.

Member of TC fanclub.

Meaning one has to put oneself in danger to acquire the poison on the vest, evne if she laced her vest with poison before hand its still more of a defensive object the ofensive, its not like she can wave the vest around to hit people.

the gauntlets however can be used to bypass weapons and attact the enemy.

I always find it interesting that the vest seems to work selectively - Guo Jing manages to hold Huang Rong without getting pricked once.

Probably only Ken might find this interesting, but one of my D&D characters has a vest modeled after the 'soft hedgehog armor'.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    Probably only Ken might find this interesting, but one of my D&D characters has a vest modeled after the 'soft hedgehog armor'.
    Wong Yung's armor is actually one of the most practical items I've seen in wuxia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Wong Yung's armor is actually one of the most practical items I've seen in wuxia.
    care to give your thoughts? i've never really thought about her vest being anything special. like neither did i find xln's gauntlets to be anything special. once they come up with anyone with a bit of skill it didn't seem as 'great' anymore.

the gauntlet however did wow me in her one-4 fight, allowing her to juggle so many swords.

sadly, not one production so far has managed to capture is overly cool fight adequately, i had high hopes for 2006 but was disappointed. well, only another 6 more years to wait until they remake the next one.

I think Ken was refering to the AI in the HR's vest. It allows GJ to cuddle her while YK gets poisoned to death. I guess it's force activated.

Member of TC fanclub.

i was asking more of why he thought it was 'practical' compared to other items in wuxia. i could understand it was something you could have on all the time, it not being obtrusive and all, but what else?

care to give your thoughts? i've never really thought about her vest being anything special.
    Non-cumbersome and unobtrusive, the vest nevertheless served the primary purpose of any defensive weapon: preserve the life of its wielder. The vest was not difficult to use or maintain in any way, but it saved Wong Yung and her allies' lives on many occasions. Anybody who wore the armor could not be injured by anyone with less than Greats-level martial arts, and even a Great's otherwise lethal blow could be blunted just enough to preserve the wearer's life (as was the case when Wong Yung was stricken by Kau Cheen Yan; she was grievously injured despite the vest, but if she hadn't worn it, she likely would have been killed instantly).

ah true true...

it did save her life...i remember that now.

when you say her allies, who were you refering too? who else wore it.

sorry i read it about 4 months ago but i still can't remember. must be old age.

question, what size is that vest? it seemed to be a one size fit all.

when you say her allies, who were you refering too? who else wore it.
    Don't know if the novels say so, but in LOCH '82 and ROCH '83, Gwok Jing, Gwok Fu, Gwok Seung, and Yeh Lut Chai each wore it on one occasion or another.

I know for sure that Chow Bak Tung wore it during the final battle of ROCH. He used it to deliver the deathblow to the Golden Wheel Monk in the earlier editions of ROCH.

after having rewatched ROCH 83, 95, 98 and 06 (in that order) i was wondering, what happened to both items by HSDS?

The yellow lady didn't have the gauntlets (or she didn't use it) and CCY didn't have the vest even though it should have logically been passed down through the sect.

I imagine the vest would suffer serious downfalls when in ROCH half the characters were weapon users.

I'd take the gauntlets, I fold my arms unconsciously all the times, I would die a pathetic death if I were to wear a spiked shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I imagine the vest would suffer serious downfalls when in ROCH half the characters were weapon users.
    The vest was as effective against sharp weapons as it was blunt strikes by hand. In the 1982 adaptation, at least, the vest proved capable of warding off arrows shot at Wong Yung by Jin Empire archers. Don't know if there was a similar demonstration against sharp weapons in the novel.