Thread: Jose Mourinho Under Fire From Islamic Leader Over Ramadan Criticisms

Default Jose Mourinho Under Fire From Islamic Leader Over Ramadan Criticisms

Jose Mourinho Under Fire From Islamic Leader Over Ramadan Criticisms

Aug 25, 2009 3:44:30 PM

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.media.goal.com/g/47207_news.jpg') Photo Gallery
    Zoom

Mourinho - Juventus-Inter Serie A (Grazia Neri)

Jose Mourinho has come under fire once again after the head of the Union for the Communities and Organisations of Islam in Italy (UCOII), Mohamed Nour Dachan, slammed the Inter coach for his recent comments relating to Sulley Muntari and Ramadan.

The 'Special One' replaced the Ghana midfielder after 30 minutes following a poor showing on the pitch. Mourinho claimed Ramadan was having a negative influence on Muntari who practices Islam.

"Muntari had some problems related to Ramadan - perhaps with this heat it's not good for him to be doing this [fasting]," Mourinho told reporters after the game.

"Ramadan has not arrived at the ideal moment for a player to play a football match."

The comments have shocked the Islam world and have caused a considerable storm of criticism as the Portuguese coach finds himself caught up in another row.

"I think Mourinho should talk less," Dachan told La Repubblica.

"A player who practices Islam does not perform less on the pitch. We know that medicine in Sport and mental stability, and psychology make players perform well.

"A player who is Christian, Hebrew or Muslim will have a tranquil mind and will always perform better on the pitch."

Muslims fast between daylight hours during Ramadan, abstaining from food and drink from dawn until dusk.

This means Muntari would have had to play games in searing temperatures without adequate hydration. Experts claim sportsmen and women can suffer if they do not receive good hydration during hard physical exertion.

The Link
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy...r-over-ramadan

Is Jose right ?Do you think fasting will affect player performance ?

Erm... drinks? Strange. My Muslim lecturer said it's fine to drink beverages, even flavoured ones.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Having competed in badminton tournaments when younger, I needed to eat 1 hour before the scheduled time for my matches. I wouldn't have energy to play if I don't eat. One national team coach also mentioned that his badminton team athletes eat 1 hour (at least half full) before the matches so they have energy to play in high intensity for the next hour or two.

I am not sure how is fasting with Ramadan. Are Muslims allowed to eat after dusk?
    Personally I do not think anything wrong with Mourinho's words. He is the coach and responsible for his team's results. If he sees his player is not playing at his best, don't see any problem substituting with another.