Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old TVB Series

Wink Old TVB Series

Hi everyone. I have just joined this forum and so am not sure how things go. I'm a real fan of the old TVB series - mainly made around the 1980s and 1990s. Has anyone seen "Songbird" by Nnadia Chan and Leon Lai Ming. Its rather sad and a bit depressing at parts but the music was great. I also loved "The Breaking Point" Leon made with Kathy Chow and Derec Wan. Has anyone seen it and if so, what's your views?Sau Han

Song Bird is series based somewhat on Zhou Xuan, the 1930s+ singer. I think i've seen both, I can't remember for sure if I've seen Breaking Point or not. I might've.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I haven't seen Song Bird. Heard it was a depressing series.

Regarding Breaking Point, it was an ok series. The person that held the series together was Deric. Leon as the lead was dead boring. I didn't really like Kathy's character either. I was rooting for Maggie to have a good ending, but that didn't go well. Overall, I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Welcome Sau Han. We have reviews for both dramas too in the reviews section:

Song Bird:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/TVB-Series/Song-Bird-p964.html

Breaking Point:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/TVB-Series/The-...oint-p485.html
    -SC

Hello,

Those two that you listed were among the first TVB series that I watched. I liked Breaking Point more than Songbird although I did like Nadia in it a lot.

As for Breaking Point, I actually liked Leon in it. I thought he was believable as the rebellious young stuntsman. Deric was great as the villain, truly hateable. You have to see Deric in the Blood of Good and Evil to appreciate how big of a change between characters it was.

The 1990s dramas were more dramatic and were not afraid of ending on a tragic note.

Thanks for all your views and comments. I did wonder how other people felt about those series that I loved since they were made such a long time ago. Since I do not reside in Hong Kong, TVB has become my best friend as I am so hooked on the Chinese dramas especially the older ones. I am now watching "The Challenge of Life" also by Leon but with Lau Ching Wan (another favourite of mine). Leon set out to take revenge on Lau Ching Wan's family because of a big misunderstanding about his evil father. I saw this many years ago but thanks to the Classic TVB Channel it is now being shown again.I do like one or two of the modern series like "Burning Flame III" which I am watching now. I know that it finished in Hong Kong about 2-3 weeks ago. Naturally I don't know the ending but my guess is that Mylie Wu would probably go back with Wong Hei. If I was her I would certainly choose Kevin Cheng. His character seems to be more stable than Wong Hei I think. What's your views?

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Song Bird is series based somewhat on Zhou Xuan, the 1930s+ singer. I think i've seen both, I can't remember for sure if I've seen Breaking Point or not. I might've.
    Hi,Can you please tell me whether I can buy the Songbird cd (if there is one of course). I'll be going back to Hong Kong soon and would love to buy it as the songs in that series was great. I loved all the songs by Joseph Ku Ka Fai and no doubt he must have written all the songs in that drama series.

Default I'm a FAN!!

Hi Sau Han
    I'm also a great fan of Nadia's Songbird series, I used to watch it many many times in the 90's.....she plays the role well in the series and her voice is really pleasant to listen to....
    I know Nadia has a website: Nnadia.com
    I agree , some parts of the series were a little sad , but that added more to the enjoyment of it.....I had a cassette tape compilation of all the Songbird songs before - unfortunately I can't remember where I got it, and I'm pinching myself for losing it.

I also loved the Hong Kong series 'The Vengeance' starring Irene (Wan Bik Ha)....anybody remember the series 'Return of the Condor heroes (1983)'? ....that is an old classic too, reminds me of my childhood years,
    'Shanghai Beach' or is it 'The Bund' theme song by Francis Yip also sticks in my head.
    I watched an awful lot of Hong Kong series' growing up , I live in N.Ireland, my parents used to rent Chinese series' all the time from the local Chinese supermarket!! That is also how I learnt to speak Cantonese - I am Hakka originally...
    my blog : http://jenthewen.blogspot.com

Best wishes, Jen
    Last edited by Jenny8022; 01-25-10 at 11:50 AM.

I'm a big fan of the 80s and early 90s as well, but I wonder if that's because we grew up watching series from that era first, and tend to favor them over the more recent series due to nostalgia. What about today's younger generation, the teenagers who grew up watching stuff from the 2000-2009 period. If we get them to watch older series too, will they also think that the older series have better acting, better writing, or will they think stuff like Gem Of Life, Born Rich, Beyond Realm of Conscience are better than Greed Of Man, Looking Back In Anger, Legend of the Condor Heroes etc.

What do you guys think?

Default Question regarding old 罗嘉良 drama serial

Dear all,
    would much appreciate help for the following question: I have been looking for an old 罗嘉良 drama serial, in which the final or 2nd last episode featured a girl washing his car in the indoor car park, then[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]recognising that one of his car tyres was spoilt and proceeded to change it for him.
    May I know what is the name of this drama serial and where to view it ?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Thank you very much for your help ![/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Can someone help to recap my memory about "Men in The Net" and "亲情" by providing a link to reviews if any.
    1. In which series did Chow Yun Fatt's character act as a newspaper boy?
    2. In which series did the Carol Cheng's character die?

I think if we had ppl who grew up watching series from 2000-2009, they may feel that stuff like looking back in anger or the greed of man is too old. But who knows, they may appreciate it.

Between Breaking Point and Song Bird, I like breaking point more but both had a very sad ending. I thought Leon and Deric did a very good job.

I started The Breaking Point awhile back and left off at episode 5. Gonna pick up again and finish the series. Then I'll come back and share my thoughts. Heh. One thing about older series is, they're very thorough in their storytelling and detailed.

hello guys,
    does anyone know where to find
    love in a decadent city (1987) by kathy chow?
    i tried searching everywhere but cant find it. would really love to watch it.
    anyone knws , will be deeply appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    I started The Breaking Point awhile back and left off at episode 5. Gonna pick up again and finish the series. Then I'll come back and share my thoughts. Heh. One thing about older series is, they're very thorough in their storytelling and detailed.
    Two years later and I'm still at episode 5.

Has anyone watched When Things Get Rough with Kitty Lai and Frances Ng? I liked their chemistry in Land of the Condors. Too bad they didn't have a happy ending in there.

hehhe still on episode 5? You need to start watching again =)

If I recall correctly, I think in Land of the Condors, Kitty Lai plays a twin in the series. One twin was with Frances and the other one was with David Siu. Don't remember much about that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post

If I recall correctly, I think in Land of the Condors, Kitty Lai plays a twin in the series. One twin was with Frances and the other one was with David Siu. Don't remember much about that series.
    I just remember the weird costumes.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I just remember the weird costumes.
    lol....
    I cannot recall, need to look up this series to watch later just for David =)

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I'm happy to report that I finished The Breaking Point. I think it's an OK series. It's sad that Deric's character got away with murder and getting the inheritance that rightfully belonged to Kathy. The death of Leon's dad was so unnecessary. I feel like they make it tragic for the sake of making it tragic, though not farfetched considering Leon's dad has always been rash and impetuous. I would have liked the series more had Leon's sister successfully poison Deric. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    I'm happy to report that I finished The Breaking Point. I think it's an OK series. It's sad that Deric's character got away with murder and getting the inheritance that rightfully belonged to Kathy. The death of Leon's dad was so unnecessary. I feel like they make it tragic for the sake of making it tragic, though not farfetched considering Leon's dad has always been rash and impetuous. I would have liked the series more had Leon's sister successfully poison Deric. Haha.
    I thought that part was really sad when the sister tried to poisen Deric. If I recall correctly, he pushes her out of the balcony then eats the poisen cake and pushes the blame on her. I think she was probably the most tragic character in there.

I feel a lot of the modern series in late 80's early 90s are sad but quite memorable.