Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sympathy For The Devil: wuxia villains you like more than the heroes

But then again, we judge fictional characters a bit more harshly than ourselves in the same situation.

I've always wondered how moral I'd be if I had access to even mid level kungfu (say like the 4th Evil from DGSD) and can do as I please to any non-wulin member. Would I really be working an honest trade when I can just steal from the rich whenever I want? Would I get easily angry at anyone who displeases and harshly punish them ?

The Yang Kang situation is similar I think; we can all relate to him, but we expect a bit more from a fictional character even though we ourselves would likely fare no better if not worse than him in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    I'm fascinated by Yang Kang too. I don't think Jin Yong put YK and GJ in a fair situation. YK grew up thinking him was a Jin. GJ knew from birth that he's a Song. YK was clearly at a disadvantage when it came to Song patriotism. Say for example, it's WWII era - you grow up thinking you are a Japanese of royal lineage. Then suddenly you are told you are Chinese and must join the Chinese army to fight the Japanese. I'll be like, "HUH?!! WTF!!!!"

Man, even Moses knew he was a Jew from young when he was raised in the Egyptian court.
    Yeung Hong's motives were understandable, but his methods were difficult to sympathize with. If he had gone about his business in a more honorable way, he would have garnered greater sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    GWM had lots of moments of cowardliness, and had other traits that didn't make him more likable than the heroes imo. He loved to take advantage of other people while they were down among other things.
    Shame on him that he didn't have any courage to challenge Kwok Jing for a death match. He instead used a helpless girl to force Kwok Jing to commit suicide. At the same time, he thought so great about himself. He thought he was the best fighter in wulin.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Shame on him that he didn't have any courage to challenge Kwok Jing for a death match. He instead used a helpless girl to force Kwok Jing to commit suicide. At the same time, he thought so great about himself. He thought he was the best fighter in wulin.
    In the 3rd edition at least, he didn't use Guo Xiang, Mongke did.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    In the 3rd edition at least, he didn't use Guo Xiang, Mongke did.

Did he kidnap a helpless girl?? Anyway, did he have any courage to challenge Guo Jing for a fair death match??? I think the answer is clearly NO. He is a wimp that only pick on people who are not as good as him, never have any courage for a fight against good fighter in a fair match.

Well said Xiao Long! I really liked and felt sorry for Yang Kang in the series. He was certainly unfairly judged. Everyone else just loved the dumber Gwok Jing better, but never tried to understand Yang Kang's inner struggles. After 18 years thinking you are a prince, who could just flip over and become a Han overnight and turn one's back on your life?