Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst wuxia movie adaptation?

Default Worst wuxia movie adaptation?

What is the worst wuxia movie adaptation?

I watched this horrible horrible DGSD rip-off called Dragon Chronicle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_KFa...e=channel_page

Arrgh.... Bad.

Han Solo
    P/s: A bit OT for this forum.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

The one that left me with the worst impression was the HSDS starring Jet Li. The actor and the storyline was grotesquely unsuitable when measured up against what was written.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Yes, now that you mentioned it, Jet Li's portrayal of ZWJ grossly strayed from the character depicts from the book. The movie version of ZWJ was self-serving, ambitious, unforgiving, and even slightly evil.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    Yes, now that you mentioned it, Jet Li's portrayal of ZWJ grossly strayed from the character depicts from the book. The movie version of ZWJ was self-serving, ambitious, unforgiving, and even slightly evil.
    I think the director forgot that Jet was portraying as ZWJ. The whole movie appear more like a stand-alone wuxia movie instead of DGSD.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

That role was unsuitable for Jet Li.

But Chingmy Yau and Zhang Min were fantastic. Hottest and cutest and most lovable Xiao Zhao ever!

And casting Sammo Hung as Real Man Zhang was a riot! Esp. when he ***** slapped Mei Jue and challenged everybody to a fight.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Zhang Min is pretty great in every wuxia movie she's in. She was one of those rare women from early 90's that were legitimately HOT in both wuxia and modern series, even by today's standards. Most of the cute wuxia chicks in modern movies are donotwants. Especially compared to women now.

I'm certain that I have seen Jet Li's version of ZWJ before but I don't remember anything about it. I might need to dig it up again to rewatch it.

I forgot what year this was but its a satire version of LOCH with an allstar HK cast. Tony Leung was OYF. That movie also included Carina Lau, Maggie Cheung, Leslie Cheung, Jackey CHeung. It was a comedy but the humor was awful and in poor taste.

ASHES OF TIME might be acclaimed as a triumph of modern Asian cinema, but as an *adaptation* of a Jin Yong story, it was practically false advertising.

I tend to enjoy unfaithful--but nevertheless high-content--adaptions.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

As for Ashes of Time... A good adaptation IMHO need not be a faithful one.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

In defense of Kung Fu Cult Master (HSDS) with Jet Li, it may be an unfaithful adaptation of the novel, but I thought it was hugely entertaining. A true star studded cast with a hilarious script. I love it! In all the adaptations, this movie version has the hottest and best looking female cast - Chingmy Yau, Sharla Cheung, and Gigi Lai. Sammu Hung was a delight to watch and I like Jet's arrogant, slightly evil ZWJ. If only there was a part 2 to complete the movie .

I've watched all the versions you guys mentioned and have them all on dvd.

The first one, based on DGSD was starred by Brigitte Lin, Gong Li and that hong kong chick thats in a lot of films, i actually liked this story...a bit. there were some very nice looking girls but everything else was bad.

i dislike Royal Tramp, DOMD wannabe.

loved Eagle Shooting Hero's, cheap version of Ashes of Time, but dislike Ashes of Time. utterly boring and had no connection to the storyline what so ever, at least ESH was trying to make fun of itself.

The Swordsman, XAJH based, was ok, 2nd movie was better, simply cos Brigitte Lin was there as DFBB.

there was also that other one staring Andy Lau and Anita Mui, that was loosely base on ROCH, Aaron Kwork had a cameo as the blue super bad guy. horrible film, didn't get a thing.

theres bound to be more...i feel like digging them all up so i can remember how much i dislike a lot of them.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

I'm so horrible with titles but I remember Jet Li starring as Z3F. Its an action movie and was very entertaining.

It was called something like Taichi Master or maybe Shaolin Brothers or something. IIRC Jet li and his martial arts brother was kicked out of Shaolin for learning advanced martial arts on their own. His brother wound up becoming a corrupt official and Jet li couldn't beat him and went crazy until he realized the principals of Taichi.

thats not based on a jin yong novel, it was called Taichi Master, Fennie Yuen and Michelle Yeoh was also in it.

He's martial arts brother is the new ZWJ father, what ever his chinese name is.

what movie was jet li as Z3F? was it Taichi Master?
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Possibly the HSDS with Liza Wang as ZM, whereby ZM "died" in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    And casting Sammo Hung as Real Man Zhang was a riot! Esp. when he ***** slapped Mei Jue and challenged everybody to a fight.
    Never could agree more. That has got to be one of the best on screen Z3f ever casted and redeemed the movie but for those brief cameos. Sammo's hale and hearty Z3f, done differently from the conventional image of a shrivelled old man mould was a most excellent choice. But what that topped it off was how the legend himself slapped a lesson onto those two scummy LDA palm blasts shooting Xuanming elders like as if they were beneath contempt.
    Last edited by timeless; 09-14-09 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    The guy was just following the script. Blame Wong Jing for modifying the character's personality.

I actually find the movie entertaining despite the lack of faithfulness. I was disappointed when they didn't release part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    I forgot what year this was but its a satire version of LOCH with an allstar HK cast. Tony Leung was OYF. That movie also included Carina Lau, Maggie Cheung, Leslie Cheung, Jackey CHeung. It was a comedy but the humor was awful and in poor taste.
    I had great fun watching this movie. It made me laugh every single time I watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    thats not based on a jin yong novel, it was called Taichi Master, Fennie Yuen and Michelle Yeoh was also in it.

He's martial arts brother is the new ZWJ father, what ever his chinese name is.
    New ZWJ's father? What do you mean?
    Last edited by kidd; 09-14-09 at 02:59 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    What is the worst wuxia movie adaptation?

I watched this horrible horrible DGSD rip-off called Dragon Chronicle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_KFa...e=channel_page

Arrgh.... Bad.

Han Solo
    P/s: A bit OT for this forum.
    I watched it. I would say like many of the HK films from that era, SO MUCH WAS WASTED. With those powerhouse actresses like Gong Li, Lin Chin Hsia and Zhang Min, they could have made a really really good show. But the director just went slapstick.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

The articles will give the details but I think the new mainland ROCH may have potential for worst ROCH adaptation if the director gets his way casting.

He wants:
    XLN = Angelababy ??
    Guo Jing = Dicky Cheung ????

This comes from the guy that adapted SPW and made Dong Fong Bubai into an actual female.

http://www.jaynestars.com/features/h...comment-217178