Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: missing Yale student's bod found

I'm wondering whether raising the fire alarm would have helped. I would imagine that it notifies the wardens and tells them where the alarm was raised so they'll come and investigate. And what would the killer do if he hears the alarm?

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    How about a quick and strong push to the nose? Someone once told me that would be a quick way to stop someone, though you could probably kill them if the nose were to get pushed up to the brain.
    I was told the same thing by a friend who did tae kwon do.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Yeah actually most freaks and losers do wear jeans... @_@

- I wonder if a pocket knife can pierce through jeans?? If not, will it still hurt a guy enough?
    - How about punching the balls behind jeans (assuming hands are free)?
    - punching the throat?

- so you're saying that one needs to put in her weight when kneeing the balls to work?
    - how about kicking the shin?

Sorry to be persistent, just trying to identify potential life-savers here. This is important stuff!

Ah, good point. And I guess the problem with self-defense techniques is: nobody actually knows how well it will work under real circumstances.
    AHHHH Dammit, I wrote a long *** post and it didn't go through, now I have to type it again.

- I don't think a pocket knife will go through denim, you'd have to sharpen it alot, and you'd have to be quite strong because the crotch area is pretty thick. Then you have to make sure you avoid the zip. Overall, unlikely against jeans.

-Punching the balls, it could work, but alot of things could go wrong. The testicles are hidden between the thighs, he has to spread his legs somewhat. If you miss or don't hit hard enough to stun or incapacitate, you can assume that your life is forfeit.

Punching to the throat is great, but what's even better is grabbing it, then squeezing to crush the trachea, then pull just to be safe. Because your punch might not be hard enough.

I'm not a big believer in women's self defense for a few reasons. In my experience, most girls freeze up under duress. And normally, they don't know how to put their weight behind a strike. So I think if a woman wants to learn self defense, she has to first learn confidence, the desire to cause maximum damage and be still act even when she gets hurt. Then she has to learn to put her weight behind strikes and make it worth all the weight in her body, not just the swing of her arm.

There are some women that are vicious, they'd take down a full grown man if he's not careful, but most girls aren't like that. So before a girl learns to punch or knee anything, she has to learn to do it with enough force to cause damage.

- Kneeing the groin, could work out great, but if he legs are closed together, it might not fit through and there will be hell to pay.
    Also the kneeing motion is upwards, hitting up is harder than hitting downwards, so you gotta be sure that you can put alot of force into it.
    If you have a friend who will let you try. Get him to let you knee him in the stomach as hard as you can. If he doubles over in pain, loses his breath, or throws up, then you got something going. If he just complains about the pain, then you can still generate more force.

Kicking the shin bone, not a good idea. Stomping on the kneecap, great so far in theory. You'd need the knee to be positioned correctly though, that is the knee has to be staight or near straight. Then you stomp down on the flat of your foot as hard as you can on his knee cap to hyper extend.
    Again, you have to put weight behind it, but it's easier because a stomp is a downward direction, gravity can assist you. I haven't done this, so I would have to assume it's harder than it seems.

I think one of the best strategies I've heard with no weapon, is if you can't get resist and get away, play along with it, hold his head in your hands, then reach and shove your thumbs into both eyes and try to touch his brains.

Thanks Banh for his patience and expert opinion.

To summarize:

- if he's in front of you, punch/grab/twist throat
    - if see a chance, punch/grab/twist balls
    - run and scream while he's stunned/in pain
    - try to put your weight behind punches to add force

- if he's already on top of you, pretend to go with the flow, hold his head and thumb his eyes HARD

- but I'd think ANY fight is better than nothing - nose, shins, kicking, biting, whatever you can do, just let your fury overcome your fear.

- What about if he's grabbing from behind? Should one bite his arm/stomp his feet to cause a lapse, then turn and follow up with a punch to the throat/balls?

- I was also thinking, if I happen to have my keys in hand, maybe I can use the key to stab his throat/balls/eyes?

- I'm not sure if raising the fire alarm would have helped, actually it may make it worse because everyone's instinct is to walk out of the building. By the time the firemen came, the freak could have killed you already or kidnapped you to somewhere else... assuming you are free enough to pull alarm, better to keep running and scream HELP along.
    Last edited by expression; 09-24-09 at 06:27 PM.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Thanks Banh for his patience and expert opinion.

To summarize:

- if he's in front of you, punch/grab/twist throat
    - if see a chance, punch/grab/twist balls
    - run and scream while he's stunned/in pain
    - try to put your weight behind punches to add force

- if he's already on top of you, pretend to go with the flow, hold his head and thumb his eyes HARD

- but I'd think ANY fight is better than nothing - nose, shins, kicking, biting, whatever you can do, just let your fury overcome your fear.

- What about if he's grabbing from behind? Should one bite his arm/stomp his feet to cause a lapse, then turn and follow up with a punch to the throat/balls?

- I was also thinking, if I happen to have my keys in hand, maybe I can use the key to stab his throat/balls/eyes?

- I'm not sure if raising the fire alarm would have helped, actually it may make it worse because everyone's instinct is to walk out of the building. By the time the firemen came, the freak could have killed you already or kidnapped you to somewhere else... assuming you are free enough to pull alarm, better to keep running and scream HELP along.
    This is such an extended subject it should have its own thread - "How to maim a guy".
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Heh... yeah, maybe the MODs can split out the thread?

But this is important stuff you know.

True story: I have a relative who was walking down a street under BROAD DAYLIGHT (3-4 pm) - not a super busy street but a regular street with a scatter of shops open - when suddenly a guy just sprang out of a side alley and grabbed her. HE WAS SMART ENOUGH TO USE CHLOROFORM! She felt dizzy instantly but fortunately she hang on to a pole or something... the guy was dragging her in when suddenly she broke out screaming and THANK GOD he got scared and ran away.

Girls, this can happen to anyone. Not to be paranoid but, just be alert and prepared, and stay safe!
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Heh... yeah, maybe the MODs can split out the thread?

But this is important stuff you know.

True story: I have a relative who was walking down a street under BROAD DAYLIGHT (3-4 pm) - not a super busy street but a regular street with a scatter of shops open - when suddenly a guy just sprang out of a side alley and grabbed her. HE WAS SMART ENOUGH TO USE CHLOROFORM! She felt dizzy instantly but fortunately she hang on to a pole or something... the guy was dragging her in when suddenly she broke out screaming and THANK GOD he got scared and ran away.

Girls, this can happen to anyone. Not to be paranoid but, just be alert and prepared, and stay safe!
    Wow. That was one close call!

My coworker's friend wasn't so fortunate... she was walking from her car to medical school (that is THE FAMOUS med school) in the morning when she got raped. Somehow she persuaded the freak to wear a condom.

Turns out the freak got AIDS.

Fortunately she was not infected, but the physical and more importantly, emotional scar remains... forever. Yeah this is a nice girl who worked hard to go to a famous med school.

These things happen much more often than we'd like to imagine. Both cases happened under BROAD DAYLIGHT in a regular, non-shady area.

So, take a moment and think out how you can avoid danger, and what you can do if things do occur.

>> I'm starting to think keys may be a good weapon to add harm when punching or stabbing. When walking to/from your car/house, perhaps it might be a good idea to make it a habit to hold your key bunch firmly, perhaps with part of one key sticking out of your fist?

This is the reason why I do not feel sorry and have no compassion for criminals.

That depends on what's important to you. If you fight back, you run more the risk of being hurt really bad or killed than if you didn't. But if you don't fight back, you might get killed anyway if they're a murderer to begin with. That's a decision you'll have to make.

Stomping his feet won't do much other than annoy him, even if you're wearing heels I don't think you'd slow him down or really stun. If you can find something to bite, then take a chunk out of him. But I don't know how people respond to a bite on the arm, since it doesn't really affect any major organs I would er on the side of caution and assume they could still throw a punch at you.
    I would think that the wisest thing to do is make your first strike your deadliest because atleast you have the element of surprise, once you get him, he's on alert.

Keys aren't really sharp unless you're really strong. So I don't think you'd want to be stabbing his nuts with it. Punching his throat could work if you're strong enough to make the keys penetrate, but grabbing it is more guaranteed. Stabbing his eyes is excellent. At the very least it'll affect his vision, that gives you another chance to strike as he's grabbing his eyes. You might want to hurt him enough that he can't pursue you.

And consider your environment. If there is somewhere with people close by, run there for help. If there's a weapon close by and you can't outrun him then grab it.

If he's just a robber, grab your purse and throw it in one direction while you run the other way.

How useful are sprays and those alarms?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I don't think alarms work... would you even peer out the window when a car alarm goes off on the street nowadays? By the time someone does decide to check it out, the freak could have dragged the girl somewhere else, leaving the alarm on the original spot. @_@

There are too many regulations around sprays, and each state is different.

But, I did get some useful tips from this discussion. So thanks.

Back to a topic a couple pages back, if you're going to try to slice someone's throat, be sure you have a sharp blade. Not to mention, it will take a couple to a few minutes for the person to bleed out. Which goes back to just stuffing it into your attacker's neck.

The blade only has to be reasonably sharp. I'm willing to bet a person with a slashed throat will go down in seconds, whether you get his trachea, jugular or carotid arteries. Alot of people freeze up at the same of their own blood, but that's irrelevant, no one can stop you from running away with an open neck.

I agree that you can thrust the knife. I like to go for a slashing motion because it's convenient with a reverse grip that conceals your knife.

Okay, supposedly the guy died. So won't the woman still go to jail? Or would she be acquited, since it's an act of self-defense? Or jailed with a manslaughter charge?

I'm not a lawyer, I won't know the answer to that. The self defense law of Australia says something roughly like you're allowed to resist with equal force against an attacker, but you have to back off once he's stopped being a agressive. So if you punched him once and he went down, and you backed off, you'll be ok.
    If you kept hitting him, that's not good. If you're the same size, you can't use a weapon, cause that's not equal force. If you are physically weaker, like a smaller person, or a woman, you might be able to make a case if you did use a weapon.
    That's how I understand the law in Australia, but even then, take that with a grain of salt.

In the end, if that happens, all I know is, I'm alive. I did only as much as necessary and no more to keep myself safe.

Though from what I read, that girl died from strangulation. In that case, with both arms around your neck, if you can't break his grip, then Dennis advice would be best, stab him.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, I won't know the answer to that. The self defense law of Australia says something roughly like you're allowed to resist with equal force against an attacker, but you have to back off once he's stopped being a agressive. So if you punched him once and he went down, and you backed off, you'll be ok.
    If you kept hitting him, that's not good. If you're the same size, you can't use a weapon, cause that's not equal force. If you are physically weaker, like a smaller person, or a woman, you might be able to make a case if you did use a weapon.
    That's how I understand the law in Australia, but even then, take that with a grain of salt.

In the end, if that happens, all I know is, I'm alive. I did only as much as necessary and no more to keep myself safe.

Though from what I read, that girl died from strangulation. In that case, with both arms around your neck, if you can't break his grip, then Dennis advice would be best, stab him.
    Yes okay then. Assuming that the girl managed to do that, but the guy died. How would the case be handled? Anyone familiar enough with the law?

There used to be a number of lawyers around... guess not anymore. They probably got rich.

I think Banh is correct: you have to stop when he's down. So the key is to get a hit in one or two critical areas - throat, eyes, balls, knees - that will slow his motion enough while you escape. They probably need enough reason to believe the guy was intending harm to the girl, and the girl only did that much to protect herself.

ANY case that involve a death is gonna be messy. I say, better report to the police about the assault than to let them come to you after discovering the body... I'd think that most cases will favor the girl, and the freak may have some bad record already (drugs, past assaults, on parole etc) that will clear doubt.

I'm still uncomfortable with carrying a knife, because using it to kill the freak can really get the police thinking about weird things... it just doesn't fit with the "damsel in distress" model. Yeah even self-defense needs packaging. That's why I favor using keys as weapon. Using it to stab will add much more harm than plain fists, totally reasonable to be in your hands at the scene... and, strange to say, but it carries a lower chance in actually killing the freak.

It is not that easy to kill a person in real life, especially for a physically weaker person to kill a stronger person.

With a knife, she'd probably need a huge knife and stab him in the neck. A pocket knife won't do.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Just an update: Raymond Clark got 44 years in prison for murder.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Annie_Le