Thread: The Founding of a Republic (2009) - Biggest Star-Studded Film Ever

Default The Founding of a Republic (2009) - Biggest Star-Studded Film Ever

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/images/movie/large/founding1_23926e0f70d850b08f987bdb572e3d3d.jpg')

"The Founding of a Republic" (tentative title) or Jian Guo Da Ye (HK Title), directed by SanPing Yang, is scheduled for opening on the 1st of October in celebration of the 60th Anniversary of the People's Republic of China. It's a historical movie that depicts the revolution which brought the communists to power, marking the birth of China. I have high expectations for this, mainly due to the amazing cast.

Features: Chow Yun Fat, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Andy Lau, Donnie Yen, Zhang Ziyi, Vicki Zhao, Leon Lai, Tony Leung Ka-Fai, Fan Bing Bing, Huang Xiao Ming, Chen Kun, Chen Hao and more...

Here's the trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDaY8uTy6ME

So far it stinks of propaganda, but that could be expected...
    And the trailer looks pretty awesome.
    Pity I probably won't have an opportunity to see it on big screen...:-/
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Thank god, the other tony leung is not in this project.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Does the movie stop at 1949? Or will it portray Mao's policies in the 50's and 60's in a positive light? I find it hard to imagine that China would admit that Mao sucks. They've kinda swept Mao's past under the rugs as a silent way of acknowledging that he was an a-hole within an a-hole, but they would never say it out loud.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Does the movie stop at 1949? Or will it portray Mao's policies in the 50's and 60's in a positive light? I find it hard to imagine that China would admit that Mao sucks. They've kinda swept Mao's past under the rugs as a silent way of acknowledging that he was an a-hole within an a-hole, but they would never say it out loud.
    It's set in the forties. And it will probably sweep the Nationalists wrong-doings under the rug a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    I think it's too early for China to properly and objectively deal with Mao and his legacy. Though I've heard it's allowed/tolerated now if you criticize him and some of his policies (I imagine that such criticism is not exactly encouraged, of course) as long as you don't criticize party as such.
    But I really don't expect them to start getting critical in a big-budget, big-scale, 60the anniversary cinematic opus. :-]
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里