Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gwok Jing Glorification Thread

Default The Gwok Jing Glorification Thread

Gwok Jing is one of the most well-known and popular of Jin Yong's protagonists, and he does get quite a bit of discussion at this forum, but for some reason...not the scads and scads of concentrated attention that other protagonists do.

For this reason, I've opened this Gwok Jing Glorification Thread dedicated to celebrating the greatness of the Eagle-Shooting Hero...Northern Hero Gwok Jing.

I can offer more accolade for Guo Jing and Huang Rong's marriage than for the individual characters. Theirs is a case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Guo Jing was the greatest athlete in all of Jin Yong's novels.

Can Xiao Feng shoot down 2 eagles with one arrow?

I think not.

that's because everyone here, or most people, all idolize GJ. this guy can beat him and her, but not GJ. that guy can beat him or her, but not GJ. when everyone likes GJ that much, what is there to talk about besides I like GJ, GJ is great.

Actually, Xiao Feng has been far more glorified than Guo Jing in past years. At one time, people ranked Xiao Feng above Xu Zhu and Duan Yu. The only person higher was Sweeper Monk.

Gwok Jing doesn't get as much discussion as some other protagonists because he isn't flashy or controversial. One look at our celebrity culture reveals what happens when celebrity meets substance head on. Compare the public reaction when Michael Jackson died to when Norman Borlaug (uh...who?) died.

Food, water, and air keep people alive, but it's the bells and whistles that get and hold people's attention.

I don't think GJ needs a glorification thread. His deeds speak enough for the man himself. Of all the protagonist, who else besides XF & GJ had sacrificed their lives for the good of their country? YG & ZWJ both retired to live out their lives in seclusion with their beautiful partners. The two who gave out the most actually got the least back in return.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I can offer more accolade for Guo Jing and Huang Rong's marriage than for the individual characters. Theirs is a case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
    what about the sum of their children?

i don't like him. maybe he reminds me too much of myself? *__*

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post

I think not.
    sorry, but that's not how you define atheleticism

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    sorry, but that's not how you define atheleticism
    Just go with the flow, dude. It's not every day that we see a thread specifically for glorifying Gwok Jing, so let's...glorify him.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    In other words, they are in fact what Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl are only *purported* to be.

But this is the Gwok Jing Glorification Thread, not the Yeung Gor Bashing Thread Part MMCCXVII, so I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post

I think not.

Not when Guojing was the student of the great archer of Mongols.

But when it comes to the question of martial supremacy and battle tactics(war planning), Xf wins hands down. Don't look at me, look to the books.

As to the greatest athlete, it depends on what we are talking about. Speed, stamina, strength, lightness?? Guojing excels in archery, wrestling, but does that qualifies him as the greatest athlete, all in competitive unrealistic combat situations.

I do recall Xf soar scaled up the steep high side of an impossibly scaleable cliff. Knowing that it was not humanly possible to do so, he did it still. Now that is an incredible athletic achievement.

Another was when he could on horsebacks poised in anyway while fighting against a heavily armed force of archers. Unarmed against skilled archery. Superb abilities.

*Takes Pepcid tablets*

People: remember the purpose of this thread.

*Points to thread title.*

A little cooperation...PLEASE?

*Writes note to remind self to ask SC for *Vegas lights* around thread titles.*

Okay, Guojing was the greatest archer of all time (next to his teacher), if we count archery as an athletic achievement. (Ken had just pointed his gun at me, i mean, sword)

As well as being the most patriotic person this side of the Condor trilogy, how's that??

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    In other words, they are in fact what Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl are only *purported* to be.

But this is the Gwok Jing Glorification Thread, not the Yeung Gor Bashing Thread Part MMCCXVII, so I'll leave it at that.
    Both Guo Jing and Yang Guo were what the original Greats should have been, if they had been successful heroes. Wang Chongyang aspired to be a patriotic hero in the vein of Yue Fei, but his military skills let him down, leading to him sulking, then reassessing his life aims after the Lin Chaoying episode. Guo Jing, partly due to the accompanying intelligence of Huang Rong, but also due to his own unfailing steadfastness, went through with the ideals of Yue Fei, much more successfully and purposefully than Wang Chongyang. Yang Guo's MO was closer to that of Hong Qigong, but his mindset was closer to that of Huang Yaoshi. However, he was less self-centred than Huang Yaoshi, had a greater sense of purpose than Hong Qigong, and moreover was inspired by Guo Jing.

Yang Guo was the greatest classical xia of the LOCH-ROCH era, but Guo Jing surpassed that as the greatest ying xiong of the era, paralleling Genghis Khan as the exemplar of his society's ideals, with the achievements to match. Yang Guo was probably the pinnacle of what wulin could aspire to be, but Guo Jing's heroism could only find parallels in figures that far transcended wulin.

I urge you to read LOCH ASAP, particularly the passage in Samarkand where he is angered by the cruelty of the Mongols. All the discussion about Guo Jing's martial skills becomes irrelevant when set against that.
    Last edited by Ken Cheng; 09-22-09 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    Okay, Guojing was the greatest archer of all time (next to his teacher), if we count archery as an athletic achievement. (Ken had just pointed his gun at me, i mean, sword)

As well as being the most patriotic person this side of the Condor trilogy, how's that??
    You're starting to see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Both Guo Jing and Yang Guo were what the original Greats should have been, if they had been successful heroes. Wang Chongyang aspired to be a patriotic hero in the vein of Yue Fei, but his military skills let him, leading to him sulking, then reassessing his life aims after the Lin Chaoying episode. Guo Jing, partly due to the accompanying intelligence of Huang Rong, but also due to his own unfailing steadfastness, went through with the ideals of Yue Fei, much more successfully and purposefully than Wang Chongyang. Yang Guo's MO was closer to that of Hong Qigong, but his mindset was closer to that of Huang Yaoshi. However, he was less self-centred than Huang Yaoshi, had a greater sense of purpose than Hong Qigong, and moreover was inspired by Guo Jing.

Yang Guo was the greatest classical xia of the LOCH-ROCH era, but Guo Jing surpassed that as the greatest ying xiong of the era, paralleling Genghis Khan as the exemplar of his society's ideals, with the achievements to match. Yang Guo was probably the pinnacle of what wulin could aspire to be, but Guo Jing's heroism could only find parallels in figures that far transcended wulin.

I urge you to read LOCH ASAP, particularly the passage in Samarkand where he is angered by the cruelty of the Mongols. All the discussion about Guo Jing's martial skills becomes irrelevant when set against that.
    That's great.

What pannonian said hit the spot. What represent GJ best is what he stood for, not his physical, martial arts nor intellectual capabilities.

As much as martial arts books is about killing and maiming, the underlying theme of peace and value of life keeps reappearing book after book.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    What pannonian said hit the spot. What represent GJ best is what he stood for, not his physical, martial arts nor intellectual capabilities.

As much as martial arts books is about killing and maiming, the underlying theme of peace and value of life keeps reappearing book after book.
    Agreed. What Pannonian said was the best thing I've seen around here in a while.

Maybe we should consider putting that as post-RoCH commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Yang Guo's MO was closer to that of Hong Qigong
    What is MO ?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」