Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: When Heaven Burns 《天與地》

So many comments all over the forums that this series is too long. I admit sometimes the pacing gets slow especially during the union/political debate scenes but I thought they were all necessary to understand the background of the story. For myself I blame by limited Cantonese for not understanding some of the discussions of minimum wage and safety for construction workers.

In many ways I felt the show was able to shoot and keep every inch of film they had. Certainly if I were in the director's shoes and found the series to be canned for 2 years, I would insist on keeping as much in tact as possible, especially since they are going to leave the network.

I really enjoyed (what might be waste of film for other stories) scenes such as Drummer, Ronnie, and Hak Jia tying themselves to Ka Ming to prevent him from scratching his hives. Or the scenes where the group hauls around furniture and matresses for their band room.

Also read that some people thought the story did not explain the characters well enough (and simultaneously that the show was too long), are people really so lazy to have the entire character bio written out in bubbles during the their scenes or have 15 minutes of voiceovers where the characters talk to themselves or have the villain tell the hero his entire schema including how to take apart his weapons of mass destruction??

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    So many comments all over the forums that this series is too long. I admit sometimes the pacing gets slow especially during the union/political debate scenes but I thought they were all necessary to understand the background of the story. For myself I blame by limited Cantonese for not understanding some of the discussions of minimum wage and safety for construction workers.

In many ways I felt the show was able to shoot and keep every inch of film they had. Certainly if I were in the director's shoes and found the series to be canned for 2 years, I would insist on keeping as much in tact as possible, especially since they are going to leave the network.

I really enjoyed (what might be waste of film for other stories) scenes such as Drummer, Ronnie, and Hak Jia tying themselves to Ka Ming to prevent him from scratching his hives. Or the scenes where the group hauls around furniture and matresses for their band room.

Also read that some people thought the story did not explain the characters well enough (and simultaneously that the show was too long), are people really so lazy to have the entire character bio written out in bubbles during the their scenes or have 15 minutes of voiceovers where the characters talk to themselves or have the villain tell the hero his entire schema including how to take apart his weapons of mass destruction??
    What Ka Ming had was actually shingles... he end up spreading chickenpox to the other 3... hahaha!

I guess we are too conditioned with TVB series style for a long period of time, or rather we are trained to multitask nowadays ie browsing internet, eating, doing household chores, reading papers - all these while watching TV series.

In fact the downside of watching WHB live was that I have to wait for commercial break to go to washroom. LOL...

p.s. About the villain monologue, Jonathan Chik and Chow did parodied that part in Fly with Me. They poke sarcasm of other TVB series format quite a lot in the series.

Thanks AppleDaily for continuing to promote WHB even after it ended

Last edited by sehseh; 01-04-12 at 12:34 AM.

Technically I watched the series 1.7 times already because I rewatched about half the episodes, gotta love streaming! I really liked Come Fly with Me - such a smart 4th wall comedy!

Technically I watched the series 1.7 times already because I rewatched about half the episodes, gotta love streaming! I really liked Come Fly with Me - such a smart 4th wall comedy!
    I guess you, Kidd and I are the minority in spcnet who appreciates Jonathan Chik & Chow combo. Revisited the old thread and man, it was just us discussing there

Btw, Paul Wong was slated to cameo as mature Ka Ming in the ending (it would have made the ending more memorable!). But Charmaine schedule clashed, so in the end Stanley filmed the older version of himself.

They also edited a few scenes out from the ending, including Ka Ming & Yan traveling, Drummer taking family pics (he had two sons), the band annual reunion at restaurant.

Scenes deleted from ending
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.tvb.com/ii/11/20229/000002022855_1321331586.jpg')
    Young Shirley!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.tvb.com/ii/11/20229/000002022847_1321331576.jpg')
    Young Yan, Ka Ming, Gina & Drummer

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.tvb.com/ii/11/20229/000002022839_1321331570.jpg')
    Annual gathering

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.tvb.com/ii/11/20229/000002022831_1321331554.jpg')
    Annual gathering
    Last edited by sehseh; 01-04-12 at 02:13 AM.

Red face

Would have been brilliant if Paul Wong can cameo as older Ka Ming!I tried to start watching another show and one of the scenes were so loud and jarring I could not finish it. Might need a couple days to finish processing WHB. I was actually inspired to watch Chik Chak 903 Music Awards today - it was really good. I haven't paid much attention to HK music scene for years - ever since there was mass exodus to catering to Mandarin China audience. Loved Paul Wong, Eason Chan, Joey Young, William So, and Hacken's live performances - these artists really have persistently followed their dreams. Even William So said he will sing Cantonese songs as long as there are people willing to listen to him - its like Ka Ming and Yan all grown up.Also very funny where they made references to WHB almost every 15 minutes! If Jonathan Chik and Chow can continue to produce great shows, I will be a follower. Hope WHB will come out on DVD - I will support.

Ok..i have to admit this series got a little draggy for me so I had a hard time watching all chapters..watched here and there....

If someone don't mind telling me...I think Charmaine forgave them for eating Kaming..but did they explain to her "why" -- I think Kaming was very injured and they thought he was going to die anyway...its not like they right out coldblooded killed Kaming for food, right?

*SPOILERS* - Sorry I don't like using the tags because its hard to read afterwards. I am assuming anybody that is interested has already finished.

I may be wrong, it was inferred that Ka Ming was sick and they thought he had died already but when Ronnie stabbed him, he grabbed his arm.

I don't think the story dealt with why and left it up to the audience to decide how much guilt the characters should assign to themselves. Are they less guilty for doing it accidently vs intentionally vs if he was already dead? Does this further justify how they run their lives as "adults"?

Bowie, Kenny & Moses interview at Sina Music Award
    http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/69261154-1935844695.html

Bowie Lam will make arrangements for SINA MUSIC award winner 'Sober Band', won't rely on TVB

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.ihktv.com/image/2012/01/0916045AP.jpg')

After TVB series When Heaven Burns (WHB), Bowie Lam, Moses Chan and Kenny Wong popularity jumped tremendously. The other night, the group attended SINA MUSIC PUBLIC OPINION INDEX MUSIC AWARDS 2011 along with Kay Tse, Fiona Sit, Eason Chan, Hins Cheung, Ivana Wong, Raymond Lam and many other singers. Although singers such as Kay Tse and Hins Cheung won several big awards, the limelight was stolen by 'Sober Band' (Bowie, Moses, Kenny). Depending on the WHB sub theme Youth Ignorance (年少無知), Sober Band won the 'TV Series Song Award' and then performed the song live. Audience from the entire venue sang along, screamed and cheered. Sober Band frankly said it was surprising that there was such a hot response from the public. They hope to continue developing Sober Band in the future. Kenny expressed will just have to wait for TVB to make the arrangements, but former TVB artist Bowie Lam immediately opposed: "This arrangement is not good, I will go make the arrangements for us myself and then give you all a 'secret second job'!"

As Youth Ignorance didn't make it on the JSG charts, Bowie feels TVB should comply with the public response: "Even a 7 year old kid knows how to sing this song! (The series was pushed back too long and got affected?) We do not need to research this. If WHB released earlier, it would have won all, TV King/Queen and the Theme Song. Why not just get Charmaine Sheh back and make our own secret awards presentation." When speaking of TVB refusing to sell the Youth Ignorance copyright to Paul Wong, Bowie continued to criticize TVB: "When talking about justice, the current generation should be universal, there is no reason why you should monopolize everything!"

Moses avoided taking about politics, he just expressed his happiness for the success of the finale rating: "Seeing the ratings go from a low 23 points to a high 34 points, proves that many are slowly accepting this series. I am very pleased." It was rumored producer Jonathan Chik and editor Chow Yuk Ming are planning to leave TVB. Sober Band expressed they are unsure. Bowie reassured: "I don't believe this. If they are leaving, I will return to TVB and work for free!"

Source: Mingpao
    Translated by aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net/forums/
    Attached Images Attached Images

*SPOILERS* - Sorry I don't like using the tags because its hard to read afterwards. I am assuming anybody that is interested has already finished.

I may be wrong, it was inferred that Ka Ming was sick and they thought he had died already but when Ronnie stabbed him, he grabbed his arm.

I don't think the story dealt with why and left it up to the audience to decide how much guilt the characters should assign to themselves. Are they less guilty for doing it accidently vs intentionally vs if he was already dead? Does this further justify how they run their lives as "adults"?

Thanks...I thought it did matter because in the story, Charmaine's character isint' the most forgiving -- before she even knew about the whole cannibiliasm thing, she was mad at them for 18 years leaving kaming...so after she finds out about the cannibalism without knowing why i thought she would not forgive them...

I think there would be a difference between intentionally vs for survival (and I don't think if kaming was not injured they would have eaten him -- I thought they think he was basically dieing...but then they made the stabbing like murder for ronnie)...I think it fueled the 18 years of their lifes..cause Joe at that time out of guilt just contributed his wholesale to society -- and gave up a career having gina support the family...its only until later he changed for his reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by sufan View Post
    Thanks...I thought it did matter because in the story, Charmaine's character isint' the most forgiving -- before she even knew about the whole cannibiliasm thing, she was mad at them for 18 years leaving kaming...so after she finds out about the cannibalism without knowing why i thought she would not forgive them...

I think there would be a difference between intentionally vs for survival (and I don't think if kaming was not injured they would have eaten him -- I thought they think he was basically dieing...but then they made the stabbing like murder for ronnie)...I think it fueled the 18 years of their lifes..cause Joe at that time out of guilt just contributed his wholesale to society -- and gave up a career having gina support the family...its only until later he changed for his reasons...

I had a different take on Charmaine after the ending.

** SPOILER **

I thought Yan blamed herself for letting them go camping (i.e. break up of the group) and not saying goodbye (she parted on bad terms that last time she saw Ka Ming). For the last 18 years she assigned all of her own guilt/regrets to the 3 guys under the guise of "you left him to die!!" Towards the end she just wanted to free herself and in order to do that she needed to forgive everyone, including letting go of Bowman and Arthur as her backups.

RTHK's 'Free As Wind' talkshow program discussing WHB

http://programme.rthk.hk/channel/rad...1-04&m=episode
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Vote for your favorite WHB scene here. You can choose 3 scenes (remember to login first)
    http://programme.tvb.com/drama/whenh...vote/index.php

You may stand a chance to win WHB limited edition t-shirt and poster!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.b.tvb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/drama/files/2012/01/t.jpg')
    Last edited by sehseh; 01-06-12 at 12:14 PM.

Fanmade MV for WHB

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Scenes deleted from ending
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.tvb.com/ii/11/20229/000002022855_1321331586.jpg')
    Young Shirley!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.tvb.com/ii/11/20229/000002022847_1321331576.jpg')
    Young Yan, Ka Ming, Gina & Drummer

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.tvb.com/ii/11/20229/000002022839_1321331570.jpg')
    Annual gathering

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.tvb.com/ii/11/20229/000002022831_1321331554.jpg')
    Annual gathering
    These scenes make me remember again how Gina said Yan and gang are not really her friends just Drummer's friends and that they also did not consider her their friend. In the alternate version, it seems like Gina has really become friends in the gang. If this is Yan's imagination, it shows that Yan really considers and wants Gina to be her friend.

I still think Gina judged the gang wrong. Many flashback scenes show Yan really treated Gina like her friend. And in the scene where Drummer borrowed money from the band for Gina to go for abortion, Ka Ming actually was concern about Gina and asked whether the abortion was only Drummer's idea or both.

Talking about the WHB in china in a funny way.

http://programme.rthk.hk/channel/rad...3927&m=episode

Official DVD released in Msia already.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.b.tvb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/tvbi/files/2011/12/poster_when-heaven-burns_e5a4a9e88887e59cb0_39x20-01.jpg')

This is a funny version of the WHB subtheme, singing about old people. The lyrics are very wicked!

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Earlier today, I got the song stuck in my head.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    This is a funny version of the WHB subtheme, singing about old people. The lyrics are very wicked!

Thanks. Hahaha getting senile means acting crazy and doesn't get scolding

Another interesting radio recording talking about WHB

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Earlier today, I got the song stuck in my head.

The songs, especially the ending theme is very nice. It's a shame that it was on HK songs chart, EXCEPT TVB own Jade Solid Gold.