Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: When Heaven Burns 《天與地》

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    I just had heated argument with someone (couple years younger - who favors more "active" dramas like MR) that said the subject matter is "insane" (cannibalism), women sleeping around, the storyline moves too slow (too wordy), and he hates Charmaine - why couldn't they use a prettier actress like Koni Lui....I told him that I might have to stab someone in the eye if they used Koni Lui for Yan's role.
    Tell your friend Koni Lui would be too young for the role. Yan was at least in her late teen when the incident happen 18 years ago. She shouldn't be too young in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I have had arguments too with people who dislikes this series, saying that everyone is too old to be playing in a band. But they have to understand, that this story is about middle-aged people who are trapped and tortured by their past. Any younger artistes will not suit the storytelling. I like action series too but I do not feel that this story is draggy at all.
    I'm constantly amazed at the inability of some viewers to process the story. I don't claim to understand all the subtle nuances of the series. But, the stuff some of the viewers complained about are very easy to understand.

These men were teenagers 18 years ago. They couldn't be too young in the present. It wouldn't make sense. And they are not playing band now. They each have their on life. Maybe they will play band later to relive their youth or something. But, that wouldn't be wrong either.

I've also read someone said Bowie does not look like someone in a band. . Bowie was in a band 18 years ago when he was a youngster. Can see from the flashback that his look was pretty hippy at the time. He has now changed to a proper vege eating union activist.

I also read another person complain about the dubbing of Tsui Wing's voice.
    Last edited by kidd; 11-24-11 at 11:09 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Kenny's eye condition is Retinitis Pigmentosa which is a heriditary progressive deterioration of peripheral retina and leads to constriction of the visual fields. So it really freaks me up having Kenny drive at night since he would most probably have night blindness.
    Thanks! I've been wondering what's the medical term of Kenny's eye condition. His son just say RP in the series. The freaky driving scene just happened in episode4, won't spoil too much for you.

Kenny character is very 'hung fook' (blissful). He have loving wife, obedient kids, and money (he was a very successful actuary who retired early). Had he not attempt to reunite everyone, he might no remember what happened on the mountains. But in a way, the revelation could also be a form of release to the involved parties.
    Last edited by sehseh; 11-25-11 at 12:01 AM.

Just a trivial thought. Off all the English names the scriptwriter can use, why give Ben Wong's character the name Bowman? Why not give him a proper English name like Peter or William? He seems like a proper kinda guy.

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Kenny character is very 'hung fook' (blissful). He have loving wife, obedient kids, and money (he was a very successful actuary who retired early). Had he not attempt to reunite everyone, he might no remember what happened on the mountains. But in a way, the revelation could also be a form of release to the involved parties.
    Interesting that the scriptwriters choose this as the mean (Kenny's lost of memory and desire to reunite his friends) to bring up the past. Yes, this could be the release they need.

Did episode 4 reveal more info on what happen at the snow mountain?
    Last edited by kidd; 11-25-11 at 12:36 AM.

Nope, episode 4 centered more on Moses, Kenny & Bowie attempt in reconciliation.

To me, Hazel/Yan is definately selfish in how she treats both Bowman and Arthur, but she shows she is not intentionally heartless. It is like a habit and obsession in her cycle of behaviour to act such a way, that she herself is unable to help herself, let alone control herself to stop hurting others.
    It's really sad that Yan cannot get out of the past to truly embrace a good man like Bowman. It's not that she didn't try. She did meet new guys and even married one. But, somehow, deep inside, she just could not let go of the past. Like you said, she cannot help it.

Just finished watching ep 4:
    - Nice to see the bonding between the men. It is hard to appreciate the poignant feelings of the last scene unless you too, have gone through the drifting away between once good friends. It is true that HK's building is forever changing and nothing lasts forever.
    - Emma's naivety is getting on my nerves, but Brenda really intrigues me. I wonder how her love life is since she is so clever, scheming and suspicious. Is she so wary of Angus because of her own past experience?
    - For once, I was happy that Queenie did not get the role of a mistress in big productions, but it seems I might be wrong again. Hope her Jessica turns bad!
    - Somehow, I really like KK's Ben! By why? I find him somehow funny!
    - If my car was ever parked like that, I would just burst out into tears right there and then!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Maggie is so cute.

What do you guys think of the scene of Maggie and Moses in the storm? What is that scene trying to show? I see this scene again and again in the video I saw in youtube. Only when I see the actual scene, I know who are the 2 people in it. The 2 people being blown a slanting position by the strong wind. I wonder what is the inspiration of this scene. Really love it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Maggie is so cute.

What do you guys think of the scene of Maggie and Moses in the storm? What is that scene trying to show? I see this scene again and again in the video I saw in youtube. Only when I see the actual scene, I know who are the 2 people in it. The 2 people being blown a slanting position by the strong wind. I wonder what is the inspiration of this scene. Really love it.
    For me I think it highlighted Emma & Angus craziness and willing to take risk personality. Emma is very childish, she was amused by people outside the restaurant (walking against wind). The two of them were actually dancing in the storm.

Just watched episode 5, the ending part had me chuckling (Bowie, Kenny, Moses is still childish like 18 yrs ago), then the next scene with Charmaine made me

I wonder how come Emma already not young, but, still so childish, naive and immature. Is it because of inborn or because she's too sheltered? Her level of naivete and childishness is not normal for her age. With her age, she should have enough live experience to be not so naive and childish. Also, despite growing up in a privileged environment, she doesn't have a lot of self-confidence as evident from her conversation with Angus on Astrid Chan's character (when she suspect Angus likes her).

Btw, does 'would you marry me?' have grammatical error? Shouldn't it be 'will you marry me?'
    Last edited by kidd; 11-26-11 at 01:50 AM.

Btw, does 'would you marry me?' have grammatical error? Shouldn't it be 'will you marry me?'
    TVB and good English doesn't belong to the same group. Lol...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6655/a8ec8a13632762d04f8be5f.jpg')

Episode 5 highlights the personality Bowie and Ka Ming during their youth.

Bowie is the resourceful one, full of ideas and a bit cunning
    Ka Ming is gullible and easy to bully

I like the part they lift the car together. Finally united. Ronnie's effort has not gone to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    For me I think it highlighted Emma & Angus craziness and willing to take risk personality. Emma is very childish, she was amused by people outside the restaurant (walking against wind). The two of them were actually dancing in the storm.
    I thought they were trying to kiss each other?

My interpretation of that scene is how people become immune to the plight of others through time, and constantly do dangerous acts to being upon a adrenaline rush. Most people are trying to get away in case they get injured by the thunderstorm yet they willingly go out into the open and play in the harsh winds.

Can someone pls tell me what direction is the storm blowing so that both Moses and Maggie do not fall over?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8866/76d3f4ffjw1dnhge18nh3j.jpg')
    Credit to Hazel天與地

This week TVB mag cover. Also added Maggie & Charmaine interview clip in my blog, if anyone is interested

A nice interpretation of episode 5, where Kenny family read The Little Prince as bedtime story while he rushes back to the banquet hall for Yan

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/672c5440jw1dnhrx3ldw3j.jpg')

Love the conversation between Angus and Brenda in the beginning of episode 4. Moses's acting was great in that scene. He perfectly portrayed the bad boy 'mou chi' persona of Angus. I know I shouldn't, but, I actually cheered for him when he one up Brenda.

But, in the next scene
    click to show/hide spoilers
    I feel sad for Brenda, seeing her looking at her little sister so happy preparing her wedding, having full of trust for Angus, and she knowing that Angus doesn't really love Emma. Kam Yin Ling portrayed her dejectedness well. Her 'mou noi' is clearly shown. Seeing her sister going to marry someone who doesn't love her and she couldn't do anything about it.
    Last edited by kidd; 11-27-11 at 04:53 AM.

Why everyone wear black to people's wedding? The costume designer purposely do so to set the mood of the scene/series? I know men have very few choice in the color of their suit, but, the women can wear other colors. But, Hazel, Gina, Shirley, Jessica, Brenda (black and white) and Ronnie's daughter (Black sweater) all wear black.
    Last edited by kidd; 11-27-11 at 05:39 AM.

I guess they are matching the mood of the series?

But it also depend on personal preference. I've been wearing black before (mostly not so superstitious friends weddings), but I will ask first if their parents or in-laws are superstitious. Black looks good on everyone and easy to buy.

Spoof banquet menu from hkgolden forum. How come I don't find it funny?
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/672c5440jw1dnilda0jecj.jpg')
    Last edited by sehseh; 11-27-11 at 07:51 AM.

The menu is not funny at all.

Why did all the guys like Yan? What is so special and likable about Yan? From the flashback, she seems like a bossy girl with princess sickness.

The menu is not funny at all.

Why did all the guys like Yan? What is so special and likable about Yan? From the flashback, she seems like a bossy girl with princess sickness.
    Well, young guys like challenges. To older people, Yan might be spoilt and annoying, but to young guys like Angus, Ronnie and Drummer, she was fun, pretty and cool. Plus they spend all this time together. It is inevitable that romantic feelings got entangled with friendship and emotional attachment. Yan was probably like this trophy that they guys were fighting over.

Did anyone find how Ronnie's family fumbled around in the darkness funny? I love their warm family scenes. Very fuzzy feeling!
    Cyril Connolly