Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: When Heaven Burns 《天與地》

Re-listen to Bowie, Moses, Kenny's live performance of the subtheme. This time, I pay attention to the lyrics. Really love the lyrics. Talk about the spirit of youth and how when one gets older, one compromises and lost the idealism. Meaningful lyrics. Quite sad actually.

So, is it inevitable that when one grow 'wisdom', idealism is lost? When one grow older and experience more, one seem to lost the courage and spirit of the youth as one become more careful.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-18-11 at 10:42 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I read this analysis of Drummer's talking with Ronnie in the hospital from golden forum. Quite interesting.

http://forum9.hkgolden.com/view.aspx?message=3428357

click to show/hide spoilers
    保怡在醫院同BunBun講個番話其實係同自己講

保怡本來後生已經自私底, 後來發生家明放題事件, 佢過唔到自己個關所以只係做幫人的事
    而家佢同BunBun 講家明唔會番黎要放低 其實都同自己講, 應該放低呢件事向前望, 即係佢想自己放低件事做番自己

所以呢一Scene 之後保怡就黑化了

Translation:
    The speech Bowie gave to Kenny in the hospital, he's actually telling himself.

Bowie has always been a selfish person. After the Ka Ming incident, he cannot get pass himself, so, he get involved in a lot of activities that help people.
    Now, he tell Kenny to put down the incident of Ka Ming, that Ka Ming won't return. He's actually telling himself, he need to put down this incident and look to the future, i.e. he need to put down the incident and become his true self again.

So, after that scene, before turn bad.

Does Ronnie still like Ah Yan? Or is it just infatuation because he specially made a folder with Ah Yan's face. But I personally feel that he love his wife more. Ah Yan was more like his "first love" whereas Drummer and Angus really like Ah Yan.

It's so funny when Brenda said to Angus in the carpark

Brenda: 本来不知道为什么你这么狠心。现在我知道。你连人肉都吃过,谁能斗得过你?

I like the accent that Brenda has. Is she from Hong Kong in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by ycdahiong View Post
    Does Ronnie still like Ah Yan? Or is it just infatuation because he specially made a folder with Ah Yan's face. But I personally feel that he love his wife more. Ah Yan was more like his "first love" whereas Drummer and Angus really like Ah Yan.

It's so funny when Brenda said to Angus in the carpark

Brenda: 本来不知道为什么你这么狠心。现在我知道。你连人肉都吃过,谁能斗得过你?

I like the accent that Brenda has. Is she from Hong Kong in real life?
    It's just infatuation, like Drummer.

Elaine Jin is from Taiwan.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Jin

Wanna punch Drummer so badly in episode 19. Angus redeemed himself a bit, while Ronnie... sigh... I'm rather shocked at Yan choice at the end of the episode, can't figure out what she's going to do next.

Yan recorded so many sound clips but we never see her using it. There should be a scene showing her using those clips. So far, we only see Yan hosting a music program similar to Timothy Cheng's Music Lover which does not need to use those sound clips.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Yan recorded so many sound clips but we never see her using it. There should be a scene showing her using those clips. So far, we only see Yan hosting a music program similar to Timothy Cheng's Music Lover which does not need to use those sound clips.
    Yan only used her recordings once, which is the raining sound in (Central?), the part where Katie ran outside after being slapped by Shirley.

Episode 15.

Seeing Ronnie cried when reminiscing the time the 4 friends have shingles together is so sad. Even though Ka Ming joined the group later, it can be seen that they have become very good friends, like brothers. Ronnie's tears is quite heart-breaking.

Episode 15.

Revelation scene.
    Moses acted the best in that scene. When Ronnie told him Ka Ming wasn't dead at that time and they killed him, he reaction was done very well. Can see his emotions written on his face. Kenny was a bit lacking I feel. Although he's shouting and all, I still feel he's not emo enough for a person who just remember everything and cannot lie to himself anymore.

I can see Drummer reveal his manipulative side in this scene. He has allowed his manipulative side to come back/come out again. But, at the same time, I can still see his conscience and kindness. He stopped Angus from hitting Ronnie. I still don't believe that Drummer is totally bad at heart.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-20-11 at 10:10 AM.

Episode 16

I feel most for Ronnie now. He just remember everything. His pain and guilt just started. In Ronnie, we can probably see how Angus and Drummer were at that time. How they felt.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-21-11 at 05:53 AM.

The writing is brilliant. They reveal the growing relationship of the 4 friends slowly. They let us have different changing assumption when we watching along.
    Initially, the story show us the beginning of their relationship where they still kinda dislike Ka Ming for joining in the group and dating Yan. So, I thought that's why they can eat Ka Ming. But, later, it was shown that their relationship has grown very close before they went to snow mountain. So, my view changed again.

I wonder what did the young actors ate when they film the flashback scene. Bread? Cake?

Episode 16.

The scene of Angus extracting a 'I forgive you' from Yan is so heart-stirring. Nice scene. Yan thought he was talking about Emma, but, he's actually talking about Ka Ming.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-21-11 at 05:52 AM.

I wonder what did the young actors ate when they film the flashback scene. Bread? Cake?
    If you are talking about the mountain, it was bacon strips

Episode 16.

The scene of Angus extracting a 'I forgive you' from Yan is so heart-stirring. Nice scene. Yan thought he was talking about Emma, but, he's actually talking about Ka Ming.
    I guess I like and dislike Angus at the same time. Dislike him for being wishy washy, but like him because he's such a pining lover (or was it pity I feel for him?)

Btw Kidd, maybe no need use spoiler box anymore, unless it's a huge plot point (and the ending, of course) in the series. I think maybe the spoiler box (need to click reply with quote) is chasing some ppl away from reading and sharing their thoughts in the series.

Just a suggestion though, no worries if you feel uncomfortable with it. I'm reducing my spoiler box usage, but lemme know if you feel certain part of my post(s) should be covered

Special editorial from AM730

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.am730.com.hk/uploads/newspaperarticles/132441308721276.jpg')

在Dying的時代,為甚麼要用眼睇《天與地》
    (2011年12月21日)

http://www.am730.com.hk/article.php?...e=86453&d=1651

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Btw Kidd, maybe no need use spoiler box anymore, unless it's a huge plot point (and the ending, of course) in the series. I think maybe the spoiler box (need to click reply with quote) is chasing some ppl away from reading and sharing their thoughts in the series.
    Ok sure. I'll unspoiler some of my comments.

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Just a suggestion though, no worries if you feel uncomfortable with it. I'm reducing my spoiler box usage, but lemme know if you feel certain part of my post(s) should be covered
    Up to your own discretion. Don't let my outburst in Jaynestars scare you. I only have problem with that particular spoiler because it was posted under MWNS review and I consider it kinda big. Like I said, people visit MWNS review page might expect MWNS spoiler but not Othros spoiler. I won't make a fuss for WHB spoiler posted in the WHB thread. Just like I can't blame no one but myself when I saw a major spoiler of Othros in Othros thread in AF.

Another magazine interview. One week old.

http://forum9.hkgolden.com/view.aspx?message=3427600
    Last edited by kidd; 12-21-11 at 06:07 AM.

I really like the new duo teaming up in ep 20. Their personalities are so similar and suited to each other. I expect lots of sparks from them in the upcoming week.
    Brenda and Drummer are probabaly the two most intriguing personalities in the whole series. Both maintain a certain level of mysteriousness and are multi-faced. This vicious pairing will either kill everyone else in their way or they will kill each other. It is like trapping two tigers on the same mountain. I like this twist from TVB. I wonder if they would be brave enough to make it a romantic pairing?

I like how Emma is getting stronger and more mature. Really can't take her childish behaviour any more longer.
    I too am surprised by Yan's choice in ep 19. Their friendship probabaly run deeper than either we or she really realises.
    Right now, I really feel very sad for Uncle Chuen. What is he going to do about his loan?

Strangely enough, I find Drummer speech near the end of ep 20 quite true. People are selfish and politics is all for show. Before standing forward to represent and satisfy the common people, the representative will first satisfy his own ambition and desires. True justice never gets served.

The more I watch this series, I more drawn to it I get. It has no flash action scenes or unforgettable love stories. But it really picks at the areas of real life that we are faced with everyday, but wither intentionally or unintentionally ignore. The harshness and poignancy of the issues being drawn out from the interaction between the main characters really appeals to the audience who are willing to see and listen.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I really like the new duo teaming up in ep 20. Their personalities are so similar and suited to each other. I expect lots of sparks from them in the upcoming week.
    Brenda and Drummer are probabaly the two most intriguing personalities in the whole series. Both maintain a certain level of mysteriousness and are multi-faced. This vicious pairing will either kill everyone else in their way or they will kill each other. It is like trapping two tigers on the same mountain. I like this twist from TVB. I wonder if they would be brave enough to make it a romantic pairing?

I like how Emma is getting stronger and more mature. Really can't take her childish behaviour any more longer.
    I too am surprised by Yan's choice in ep 19. Their friendship probabaly run deeper than either we or she really realises.
    Right now, I really feel very sad for Uncle Chuen. What is he going to do about his loan?

Strangely enough, I find Drummer speech near the end of ep 20 quite true. People are selfish and politics is all for show. Before standing forward to represent and satisfy the common people, the representative will first satisfy his own ambition and desires. True justice never gets served.

The more I watch this series, I more drawn to it I get. It has no flash action scenes or unforgettable love stories. But it really picks at the areas of real life that we are faced with everyday, but wither intentionally or unintentionally ignore. The harshness and poignancy of the issues being drawn out from the interaction between the main characters really appeals to the audience who are willing to see and listen.
    Poor Uncle Chuen, poor and old, lost his flat also. I wonder how he met Drummer, and why the latter was willing to tell him abt what happened 18 years ago.

Angus is probably the happier person among the 3 guys right now. I like how the three of them keep walking past Yan apartment to check if she's home. For Drummer and Angus, I'm sure it's intentional. For Ronnie, really dude, you think throwing yourself under oncoming van will make Yan feel better. A splat right outside her apartment?

What does the heart shape (created by the red lens) on Ronnie book means?

I just finished episode 9 last night - so I'm way behind.

Just wanted to comment on the reasons I enjoy this story:
    1) Willing to spend time on character development and nuance

2) Not willing to spoonfeed the audience plot and history (using voice overs or just saying them aloud - you know the usual device where someone has a monologue to explain why they are a villain or why I hate/love this person)

3) No weird nicknames to force you to remember by way of nonstop repetition and singsong chorus (i.e. Happy Mui, Si Lai Mui, Ah Sing Gor, Laughing Gor, Pro Sir)....I'm looking at you Bottled Passion, it still makes me flinch when I hear them say "Boon Si Gor" (Raymond Wong's alias Tong Boon Sin). The simple nicks makes sense here and make distinction between their younger former selves and "mature" adult selves. "Hak Jai" is happier and more carefree; "Angus" is temperamental hard driving stockbroker.

4) Having 20 yr old friendships really are as depicted (normal relationships). You don't hang out everyday, when you do, you might reminisce of old stuff (sometimes), usually you talk about boring stuff, these are people you can avoid talking shop/business because they probably don't understand or care, and you can goof off.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    3) No weird nicknames to force you to remember by way of nonstop repetition and singsong chorus (i.e. Happy Mui, Si Lai Mui, Ah Sing Gor, Laughing Gor, Pro Sir)....I'm looking at you Bottled Passion, it still makes me flinch when I hear them say "Boon Si Gor" (Raymond Wong's alias Tong Boon Sin). The simple nicks makes sense here and make distinction between their younger former selves and "mature" adult selves. "Hak Jai" is happier and more carefree; "Angus" is temperamental hard driving stockbroker.
    Yes, some nicknames in TVB series are really cringe-worthy and deliberate like 'Sai Lei Mui' and 'Pro Sir'. This kind of nicknames are especially used in abundance in police drama. Does HK police really use so much nickname in their everyday life? Nicknames in this series are more natural. Joe played the drummer in the band, so, they called him Drummer.