Thread: The roof, The roof....

Default The roof, The roof....

...where the bell dropped down from when Yang Guo held Sun Bu'Er captive, where did the debris go when they smashed the bell through? If someone dropped a bell directly on top of me from the roof of my house, I'd be dead not because the bell missed, but because the ceiling parts that it fell through would land on me and crush me.

Also, how could a martial arts master like Yang Guo not detect FOUR people carrying a couple thousand pounds fly onto the roof and walk around to the precise position when people can detect footsteps on grass? Was just re-reading this part and I realized how silly the plan was.

Because Liu Chuxuan had to do something.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quanzhen elders martial arts reached the level that they can drop a bell into the house without breaking roof.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

I know the missing falling debris part was stretching it, however there was debris mentioned.

This is not the reason why I replied to the topic. Actually, many years ago (in the time even before the third edits), there was a poster at the Chinese Jinyong forum using this example trying to prove that the level of the Five Masters were equal to the first generation experts of the Five Sacred Alliance Sword Schools in the Smiling Proud Wanderer.
    This poster stated that three of the six Peach Valley Fairies had the combined strength of more than a thousand 'jin' and moved a stone Dharma statue around.
    Other posters disagreed with this actually.
    First of all, the theory that the martial arts level of the fairies is equal to the average first generation experts of the FSASS has not been established.
    Secondly, the feat that actually all the posters thought was quite impressive was that Liu, Qiu, Wang and Hao of Quanzhen were able to lift a bell of over a thousand 'jin' fly up the roof without being detected by Yang Guo and Xiao Longnu was far more imposing than just turning a stone statue around of an unknown weight. Although the original poster argued that Yang and Long were too much in love at that moment. 3 Peach Fairies combined have the strength of a1000 something 'jin'. Four Masters of Quanzhen combined have the strength of at least a 1000 something 'jin'.
    What most posters agreed upon was that the combined power of the Liu, Qiu, Wang, Hao (and Sun) is formidable. If the four of them could easily lift a bronze bell of over a thousand 'jin' and fly up the roof without detection. If they channel that power through their new invented stance the 'Seven Star Union' the potential is very great. Arguably, the Seven Star Union could be more powerful than any blast of a Great. However, this is of course mere speculation.

After that another point was brought in to discredit the original point:
    In HSDS the three Du generation Shaolin monks used their whips to lift up a rock of a thousand 'jin' with ease. But this does not mean that 3 Peach Fairies = 3 Du generation monks.

Sorry to bring this up, I couldn't resist. I just saw this topic and remembered that topic in the Chinese Jinyong forum years ago. It was one of the few topics that I participated in in the Chinese forum.
    Last edited by Athena; 10-02-09 at 09:11 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Very interesting post. Though there was debris mentioned, I thought it was silly how it magically wouldn't fall on her and kill her.

The whole flying up unnoticed with a thousand jin + their weight unnoticed is really the more unbelievable of the two.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

舉重若輕? I don't know

For me the missing falling debris part was stretching it. I had no problems with the feat itself. Lifting that bell and flying up the roof unnoticed still fits into my beliefs of the wuxia world.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Very interesting post. Though there was debris mentioned, I thought it was silly how it magically wouldn't fall on her and kill her.
    What can you expect after Xiao Longnu survived the unblocked, combined attack of the Big Dipper Formation from 5 Masters of Quanzhen + a hit from Ni Moxing (love blocked it for her!).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」