Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Cheung Mo Gei Glorification Thread

It's obvious that Cheung Mo Gei is a good man and a hero, but I just dislike his love life. Among the 3 heroes of the condor trilogy, Gwok Jing is by far the best then Cheung Mo Gei is a distance second, then Yeung Gor is a close third.

I think the benefit that Wuji received from the pressure chamber effect of the Qiankun bag is often overlooked. Upon reading it again I believe this was the critical moment that propelled his inner power to truly stratospheric levels.

From Foxs translation:

During the several years he was training the Nine Yang Manual, although he had uncovered the mystery of the world's most excellent martial art study, he did not have any expert master to give him directions, he was merely groping in the dark. As a result, the Jiu Yang Zhen Qi was accumulating in his body, but had not been put to use to break through the last major hurdle. He was fine as long as nothing triggering the 'zhen qi'. But Yuan Zhen's 'huan yin zhi' was the Wulin world's most poisonous 'yin' martial art. As soon as it entered Zhang Wuji's body, it was like the gunpowder being ignited. But because he was inside the 'qian kun yi qi' sack, the excited Jiu Yang Zhen Qi had nowhere to go, therefore, it came back and attacked his own body.

In this short period of time, he had experienced the most difficult and dangerous moment a warrior must go through in cultivating the internal energy. It was the moment where life or death, success or failure, were hanging on a thread. Of course Zhou Dian and the others did not know that at that particular time, Zhang Wuji was right at the critical juncture where the water met the fire, the dragon clashed with the tiger; they thought he was simply groaning in pain with his dying breath after being hit by Yuan Zhen's 'fantastical yin finger'...

... In that short time, Zhang Wuji had achieved the full potential of the Jiu Yang Shen Gong; water and fire flowed together, the dragon and the tiger converged. Because the sack was filled with abundant real 'chi', it was as if dozens of masters put forth their strengths and simultaneously massaged the several hundred acupoints on his body. The real 'chi' inside and outside of his body surged together to break the dozens of obstacles all over his blood passages. He felt an incomparable comfort as if a stream of mercury flowed along all his entire network of blood vessels. No one had ever met this kind of destiny, and now that the treasured sack was destroyed, no one would ever encounter such opportunity again.

the sack didn't give him any more extra energy. it just helped him release the internal energy stored within him. it helped him utilize his 9yang and achieve its full potential. this goes to show how powerful 9yang is. a martial arts newbie (like zwj at the time when he read it) can't just unlock its full potential.

What can you say about Zhang Wu Ji?

He's a very nice guy. Intelligent, caring, friendly, thoughtful, selfless. Great set of skills. Got the girls. Leader of the Ming Cult. Saviour of Wulin. Could have also been emperor, but chose to ride into the sunset with the love of his life.

Add all that to the shit that he had to endure in his childhood, and the way everything turned out for him, it's like a damn fairy tale.

Only thing mssing was a fairy god mother.

What's not to like?

I ask myself the same question. And I think the answer is a bit like why I prefer Batman over Superman.

Ahh, finding this thread after a few months away from SPCnet, what a pleseant surprice.

I like ZWJ. This is the second nicest protagonist in JY canon. The first place is taken by SPT.

IMHO the main problem people have with ZWJ is due to the nature of HSDS. This novel deals more on the personal aspects of the characters rather than the events they encounter. JY focuses on the character development. This is a problem for most of the readers of this forum, who is focusing more on who could beat who in a fight and value that more.

As I see it, the characters in HSDS is more complex and developed. Its harder to identify who is evil or who is good. We also see the reasons why they act the way they do. OYF is evil, but why is he evil? Chen Kun is also evil. But we find out the reason why he did what he did.

On the note that ZWJ underachieves during fights. Well I disagree, he achieves exactly what he wants. No more no less. His goals going in a fight isnt always to win the fight. So KO an opponent in one stance isnt always the best thing to do.

Example 1, fights against the persian fighters. They are not some random guys, they are sent from the Ming HQ, which ZWJ is sort of part of. He would want to kill these people, because that would strike a war between Ming Persia and Ming CP. So he doesnt really want to fight them. But disarm them without hurting is more difficult since there stances are wierd.

Example 2, the fight against FY, ZWJ ended that fight by showing FY that he could just had overwhelm him in one blast. FY thought that if he had taken that blow, his body would have just ended in a bloody mess. But ZWJ didnt choose to do this right away. He was confused on why FY wanted to fight and just went along untill he realized that FY wanted to test his skills. What would be the consequence if ZWJ only saw FY as a mongol mercent and just killed him rigtht away before YX or WYX could stop him?

About his love life. JY also focused more on the personal level. YG and XLN loved eachother. They know that, everyone know that. Most of the difficulties in there love life is due external circumstances (society rules, falling of cliff etc). The same goes for GJ and HR, but for ZWJ and his love interest, its also more. ZWJ have difficulties in sorting and understanding feelings towards girls. The guy spendt nearly 20 years without interacting with girls, and the first one backstab in the most hurtful way. No wonder he is confused. This doesnt make him wishy washy, this makes him real.

Kudos to Ken Cheng for this thread.
    KC > PJ
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

xf and anhhung hit it right on the mark

CMG is my favourite hero. Yes, he is. So in keeping with the thread's intent (unlike many others who posted before me) I shall now state why.
    Disclaimer : I do not acknowledge the existence of the 3rd edition. It is the work of a rambling old man who had no control of his mind.

1: He had great power to defeat many others. But he did not. It takes a great man to step away from a fight because he sees the bigger picture. To cave in to personal grudges, motives and agenda at the cost of other people is tempting. (Case in point : when he doesn't kill that Shaolin monk for insulting his parents at Guang Ming Peak)

2: He manages to bring peace and reunite differing factions. Ppl easily dismiss that as being "blah". But going in guns blazing really doesn't help in this situation. (See the reunited Ming Sect, the peace between Ming Sect and the other 6 clans. Compare with Bush.) Yang Guo's heroic actions only helped as a short term solution to the invasion attacks. Guo Jing never considered the loss of innocent lives in his mission for vengeance until he saw the effects. CMG's achievements were for a longer term. If only he was alive now to resolve the various disputes between countries.

3: He did not intentionally flirt with every woman (while comparing their beauty to his Gu Gu). Many say he was indecisive in love. For me, I saw a man who was nice to many of his female companions. Being a gentleman is not a flaw. It wasn't his fault that ZZR and XZ fell in love with him. He was not at all flirty with them to mislead them. XZ had a crush on him and his expression of his love on the boat was more from the sorrow of their parting. Did he really love her as the love of his life, the answer is no. And I think XZ knew it very clearly as well up to the very end. ZZR kinda trapped him into a relationship. He was on a deserted island, feeling the betrayal of the one whom he really loved. His godfather was pressurising him. He had this childhood mate who he could seemingly trust. It was such a rebound thing. But he was committed to her once he decided to accept her. He chose to marry her even though it was obvious he had feelings for ZM when he met her again. If not for ZM showing him his godfather's hair, he would have married ZZR. As for Yin Li, theirs was obvious not a love relationship and they both knew it. They made a pact to be companions for life. But even Yin Li would have dropped Ah Niu without a thought if there was really a different CMG who reciprocated her love and she openly thought of her imaginary lover all the time. Theirs was an arrangement much like those best friends who promise to marry each other if they didn't marry by age 30 or something.

So was he really indecisive? I think it is clear he loved ZM. Did he mislead any of the girls? No.

4: He was willing to give up everything to take care of ZM. There are those who criticize him for lack of patriotism. Yes, he is not GJ. But he did not have the benefit that GJ have, a spouse who was accepted by everyone. ZM is Mongolian and the country was rebelling against Mongols. He could not have ZM and his position at the same time. Was he right to give up his position instead of ZM? He posed this question to ZSF. To him, he has never felt the ambition to rule. His ideals were for peace. He has already set the groundwork and there were many talents in Ming Sect to follow up the work. He has never felt he was vital and that is due to his humility. The country seemed quite well taken care of or had the ability to be taken care of. Compare with ZM, who is a traitor amongst her own people. She did not have a sect to belong to. She is effectively orphaned in the world because of him. Perhaps, yes, it is self-centred to retire. But would you respect him more if he had abandoned ZM and continued to lead Ming Sect to overthrow the Mongols and become king? Or was he supposed to continue his relationship with ZM while being leader of Ming Sect and force her to support and witness his bid to overthrow her family (she IS part of the royal family)?

CMG, I salute you. For the work you had done in your short career and for taking the crap from trigger happy fans of action films that blow up everything they see.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues View Post
    CMG, I salute you. For the work you had done in your short career and for taking the crap from trigger happy fans of action films that blow up everything they see.
    You've missed out another merit of Zhang Wuji. In the Condor Trilogy, he's the only protagonist who casually checks out girls' butts and thinking to himself how attractive these girls are. However much Yang Guo flirts, once he's grown up, he doesn't admire the talent quite as blatantly as Zhang Wuji does. Which makes Zhang Wuji all the more admirable.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues View Post
    CMG is my favourite hero. Yes, he is. So in keeping with the thread's intent (unlike many others who posted before me) I shall now state why.
    Disclaimer : I do not acknowledge the existence of the 3rd edition. It is the work of a rambling old man who had no control of his mind.

1: He had great power to defeat many others. But he did not. It takes a great man to step away from a fight because he sees the bigger picture. To cave in to personal grudges, motives and agenda at the cost of other people is tempting. (Case in point : when he doesn't kill that Shaolin monk for insulting his parents at Guang Ming Peak)
    True. He could have used his powers to punish evil as well as pursue a personal vendetta, but he didn't do either. So that's a plus? I guess.
    2: He manages to bring peace and reunite differing factions. Ppl easily dismiss that as being "blah". But going in guns blazing really doesn't help in this situation. (See the reunited Ming Sect, the peace between Ming Sect and the other 6 clans. Compare with Bush.) Yang Guo's heroic actions only helped as a short term solution to the invasion attacks. Guo Jing never considered the loss of innocent lives in his mission for vengeance until he saw the effects. CMG's achievements were for a longer term. If only he was alive now to resolve the various disputes between countries.
    Zhu Yuan Zhang turned against his former comrades after becoming emperor. ZWJ no where to be found. Nice job.

3: He did not intentionally flirt with every woman (while comparing their beauty to his Gu Gu). Many say he was indecisive in love. For me, I saw a man who was nice to many of his female companions. Being a gentleman is not a flaw. It wasn't his fault that ZZR and XZ fell in love with him. He was not at all flirty with them to mislead them. XZ had a crush on him and his expression of his love on the boat was more from the sorrow of their parting. Did he really love her as the love of his life, the answer is no. And I think XZ knew it very clearly as well up to the very end. ZZR kinda trapped him into a relationship. He was on a deserted island, feeling the betrayal of the one whom he really loved. His godfather was pressurising him. He had this childhood mate who he could seemingly trust. It was such a rebound thing. But he was committed to her once he decided to accept her. He chose to marry her even though it was obvious he had feelings for ZM when he met her again. If not for ZM showing him his godfather's hair, he would have married ZZR. As for Yin Li, theirs was obvious not a love relationship and they both knew it. They made a pact to be companions for life. But even Yin Li would have dropped Ah Niu without a thought if there was really a different CMG who reciprocated her love and she openly thought of her imaginary lover all the time. Theirs was an arrangement much like those best friends who promise to marry each other if they didn't marry by age 30 or something.

So was he really indecisive? I think it is clear he loved ZM. Did he mislead any of the girls? No.
    of course he did. He made out with XZ. He tickled ZM. He said some nasty S&M stuff to ZZR. Etc. etc.

4: He was willing to give up everything to take care of ZM. There are those who criticize him for lack of patriotism. Yes, he is not GJ. But he did not have the benefit that GJ have, a spouse who was accepted by everyone. ZM is Mongolian and the country was rebelling against Mongols. He could not have ZM and his position at the same time. Was he right to give up his position instead of ZM? He posed this question to ZSF. To him, he has never felt the ambition to rule. His ideals were for peace. He has already set the groundwork and there were many talents in Ming Sect to follow up the work. He has never felt he was vital and that is due to his humility. The country seemed quite well taken care of or had the ability to be taken care of. Compare with ZM, who is a traitor amongst her own people. She did not have a sect to belong to. She is effectively orphaned in the world because of him. Perhaps, yes, it is self-centred to retire. But would you respect him more if he had abandoned ZM and continued to lead Ming Sect to overthrow the Mongols and become king? Or was he supposed to continue his relationship with ZM while being leader of Ming Sect and force her to support and witness his bid to overthrow her family (she IS part of the royal family)?

So that's a good thing? Turn one's back on one's country for an enemy state's woman? If it is a good thing, then ok, score a point for ZWJ.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

It's the Cheung Mo Gei GLORIFICATION Thread.

Do people even read instructions anymore? No wonder IKEA uses only pictures in the assembly instructions for their furniture.

Ok ok. Back to glorifying our favorite softy.

I once learned how to turn some crazy chick on by biting her hand, thanks ZWJ!

I was once able to get away with sexual harassment after tickling some random chick’s foot by showing her my scar. Thank you again ZWJ!
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It's the Cheung Mo Gei GLORIFICATION Thread.
    The fact that he is not bashed by 9 out of 10 people (as is usually the case) can be considered GLORIFICATION.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Zhu Yuan Zhang turned against his former comrades after becoming emperor. ZWJ no where to be found. Nice job.
    In the Jin Yong universe, out of all the main heroes, Guo Jing and Xiao Feng are the only 2 who sacrificed their lives for the people (which is why they're considered Da Ying Xiong). Almost all the others retired to a farm and did nothing to aid the (inter)national cause.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Babyblues >>> everyone else
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?