Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actors/actresses who really convey that "wuxia" spirit...

Default Actors/actresses who really convey that "wuxia" spirit...

Wuxia stories have been adapted for film and television for decades, and literally hundreds of actors and actresses have been cast in these adaptations over the years.

In your opinion, which wuxia actors and actresses, historically, have best captured the true "wuxia" spirit? We're not talking personal favorites or best-looking, but performers who were, in looks, presence, and performance, able to most successfully create a believable wuxia persona. The key is that you look at this actor/actress in character and say, "Yeah...that's totally a wuxia character from medieval times," not "Eh...it's a 20th/21st Century person *trying* to act like a wuxia character, but still looking/acting unmistakably modern."

My picks:

Wong Yeun Sun, who portrayed Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Ah Fei in TVB's 1970s Gu Long adaptations

Leung Ga Yan, who portrayed Kiu Fung in DGSD '81 and the older Gwok Jing in ROCH '83

Bao Fong, who portrayed Cheung 3 Fung in HSDS '86

Idy Chan, who portrayed Wong Yu Yin in DGSD '81 and Little Dragon Girl in ROCH '83

Sharon Yeung, who portrayed Muk Yeun Ching in DGSD '81 and Muk Lim Chi in LOCH '82

Kwan Chung, who portrayed Ging Mo Meng in THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN and a host of other wuxia characters during the 1970s and early 1980s

Gong Ngai, who portrayed Gong Nam 7 Freaks leader Ohr Jen Ngok in both the 1980s and 1990s TVB LOCH and ROCH adaptations.

Kwan Hoi San, who portrayed Mo Yung Bok in DGSD '81 and many other wuxia characters during the 1970s and 1980s.

Kenneth Tsang Gong, who portrayed East Heretic Wong Yerk See in LOCH '82/ROCH '83 and Golden Haired Lion King Tse Tsun in HSDS '86

Cheung Lui, who portrayed Kau Mor Tze in DGSD '81, Jebeh in LOCH '82, and the Golden Wheel Monk in ROCH '83.

Cheung Ying Choi, who portrayed Emperor Deun Jing Ming in DGSD '81 and Ma Yuk in LOCH '83/ROCH '83.

These were, I believe, the most convincing wuxia performers I've seen. You might notice that other than Idy Chan, there aren't too many big, headlining stars. That's no indictment of those stars or their acting abilities. Felix Wong, Barbara Yung, Michael Miu, Andy Lau, Tony Leung, etc., are all fine actors who played their roles well, but I still felt like they were modern people performing as wuxia characters. The above named actors, however, really seemed to become wuxia characters from the distant past.

Adam Cheng,
    Jet Li,
    Brigitte Lin,
    and Idy Chan.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Oooh, yeah. Forgot about ol' Adam Cheng. He does this kind of thing better than just about anybody else.

Damian Lau and Michelle Mie hsieh (sp?)
    back w/ a vengeance ^_^

Noel Leung, Yammie Lam, Anne Heung.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Adam Cheng
    ♥ Adam

Hu Jun & Su You Peng

All very good choices, agree with all of them.

Would like to add Au Yeung Piu San who played Huang Rong in ROCH 84 and Liu Yifei who's acting is only so so, but she definitely looks like a gracious wuxia beauty in the newest ROCH/TLBB

Edit: Who's Jia Jing Wen btw? Is it Alyssia Chia who playd Zhao Min in HSDS 2003? If not, could you name some shows she's played in?

yes, it s Alyssa Chia i was referring to, TEH best TEH most charming Zhao Min ever !!

Quote Originally Posted by Xiang Yu View Post
    All very good choices, agree with all of them.

Would like to add Au Yeung Piu San who played Huang Rong in ROCH 84 and Liu Yifei who's acting is only so so, but she definitely looks like a gracious wuxia beauty in the newest ROCH/TLBB

Edit: Who's Jia Jing Wen btw? Is it Alyssia Chia who playd Zhao Min in HSDS 2003? If not, could you name some shows she's played in?
    I actually liked Alyssa Jia Jing Wen more in Xiao Li Fei Dao as Xiao Hong. She is exactly how I expected the character to be(in the first half of the series anyways). I also liked Xiao Qiang and Wu Jing as Lin Shi Yin and Ah Fei.

I liked Hugo Ng as Fu Hong Suet in Bian Cheng Lang Zi as well. I think he did a good job walking with the limp and portraying the pain of that character.

I liked Liza Wang as Zhao min in the 70s version of HSDS.

I like Lau Dan as Hong 7 Gong too. He did a great job. Chun Wong was the best ZBT that I have seen so far...

Yammie was not in any JY novel was she??? I heard that she was supposed to play ZM but didn't get the role in the end since TVB gave it to Kitty(Sadly...).

I liked Ray Liu as Hu Fei and Hu Yi Dao. He did a good job playing the father and son role.

Tony Leung as Wei Xiao Bao.... I loved his performance.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Yammie was not in any JY novel was she??? I heard that she was supposed to play ZM but didn't get the role in the end since TVB gave it to Kitty(Sadly...).
    The topic only ask which actors and actresses have wuxia feel. It doesn't state that the actress/actor has to be in a JY adaptation.

Yammie was not in any JY adaptation, but she has acted in wuxia series and movie before.

Wuxia series:
    The Possessed (六指琴魔)
    The Final Combat (蓋世豪俠)
    The Lone Sabre (大刀王五) (telemovie)

Wuxia movie:
    The Bride With White Hair (白发魔女传 )
    Last edited by kidd; 10-01-09 at 08:56 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I kinda like Leslie Cheung in ashes of time.

In fact, all of the cast of Ashes of Time were good IMHO. Of course, they were all BIG name actors/actressess.

And yeah, Hugo Ng was really perfect for playing the pale faced anti-social misfit Fu Hongxue.

I think Francis Ng would make a good FHX too. Except that he isn't pale enough.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I always thought Jimmy Au looked fairly good in wuxia adaptions too, especially the older ones like The Grand Canal. His newer stuff is usually quite poor though like his role in Lethal weapons of love and passion.

The guy who plays Ouyang Feng from the 80's LOCH. He's such a badass wuxia character whenever he appears. Even when he's a good guy, I always expect him to turn out evil.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    The guy who plays Ouyang Feng from the 80's LOCH. He's such a badass wuxia character whenever he appears. Even when he's a good guy, I always expect him to turn out evil.
    楊澤霖 (Yeung Jak Lam, Yang Ze Lin)

The Guy played Guo Jing in ROCH 95 and some old folks with full white hair.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Wuxia stories have been adapted for film and television for decades, and literally hundreds of actors and actresses have been cast in these adaptations over the years.

In your opinion, which wuxia actors and actresses, historically, have best captured the true "wuxia" spirit? We're not talking personal favorites or best-looking, but performers who were, in looks, presence, and performance, able to most successfully create a believable wuxia persona. The key is that you look at this actor/actress in character and say, "Yeah...that's totally a wuxia character from medieval times," not "Eh...it's a 20th/21st Century person *trying* to act like a wuxia character, but still looking/acting unmistakably modern."

My picks:

Wong Yeun Sun, who portrayed Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Ah Fei in TVB's 1970s Gu Long adaptations

Leung Ga Yan, who portrayed Kiu Fung in DGSD '81 and the older Gwok Jing in ROCH '83

Bao Fong, who portrayed Cheung 3 Fung in HSDS '86

Idy Chan, who portrayed Wong Yu Yin in DGSD '81 and Little Dragon Girl in ROCH '83

Sharon Yeung, who portrayed Muk Yeun Ching in DGSD '81 and Muk Lim Chi in LOCH '82

Kwan Chung, who portrayed Ging Mo Meng in THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN and a host of other wuxia characters during the 1970s and early 1980s

Gong Ngai, who portrayed Gong Nam 7 Freaks leader Ohr Jen Ngok in both the 1980s and 1990s TVB LOCH and ROCH adaptations.

Kwan Hoi San, who portrayed Mo Yung Bok in DGSD '81 and many other wuxia characters during the 1970s and 1980s.

Kenneth Tsang Gong, who portrayed East Heretic Wong Yerk See in LOCH '82/ROCH '83 and Golden Haired Lion King Tse Tsun in HSDS '86

Cheung Lui, who portrayed Kau Mor Tze in DGSD '81, Jebeh in LOCH '82, and the Golden Wheel Monk in ROCH '83.

Cheung Ying Choi, who portrayed Emperor Deun Jing Ming in DGSD '81 and Ma Yuk in LOCH '83/ROCH '83.

These were, I believe, the most convincing wuxia performers I've seen. You might notice that other than Idy Chan, there aren't too many big, headlining stars. That's no indictment of those stars or their acting abilities. Felix Wong, Barbara Yung, Michael Miu, Andy Lau, Tony Leung, etc., are all fine actors who played their roles well, but I still felt like they were modern people performing as wuxia characters. The above named actors, however, really seemed to become wuxia characters from the distant past.
    Wow, good choice. I totally agree. Especially Leung Ga Yan was a great older Guo Jing (broad-shouldered, speaking with authority, etc.). All later actors were inferior to him.
    Last edited by muidi; 10-02-09 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by muidi View Post
    Wow, good choice. I totally agree. Especially Leung Ga Yan was a great older Guo Jing (broad-shouldered, speaking with authority, etc.). All later actors were inferior to him.
    The only thing that Leung Ga Yan lacked in his roles was height. He's a relatively short guy (especially when standing next to the likes of Felix Wong). If Leung were a foot taller, he'd be perfect in those roles.

How tall was he? He looked alright for the 80's, but probably would be out of place among actors nowadays. He can't be any shorter than 5'8-5'10 right?