Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2009-2010 NBA Season

kobe's posting up then fadeaway is unguardable still and its still a high % shot for him at this stage of his career, i agree w/ ken, hes not dunking on people night in and night out anymore, but theres no way kobe is declining
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

agreed....physically kobe might not be able to do the things he used 2 do when he was 24-25...but ability wise and mentally he's arguably the best kobe i've seen...including the one that went on the offensive tear 4 or so years ago. This kobe is > leader...taking smarter shots (shade under 50 for the first time ever)..still a defensive stopper when he wants to be...plays within flow of offense.

Right now bron and KB are most likely number 1-2 in the league.

Melo is on a tear atm...and he kif eeps this up he's a definite top 5 player in the L. I guess the fact that everyone keeps talking about wade and bron finally sparked something. Karl mentioned earlier in the season that Melo was goin for the mvp.

that said i'd still take bryant over him

oo...and i saw that kobe and hakeem vid.....kobe does a mean dream shake lol...

Kobe was locked down by D-Wade in the 4th the other night in the forum...then he got lucky and hit the bank 3 to bail the Lakers out.....before he got Gasol and Bynum on the squad, he couldn't win a hot dog eating contest. I still have respect for his skills, but I stand by my declining statement. Of course a declining Kobe is still better than all but 3 players, IMO...not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    Kobe was locked down by D-Wade in the 4th the other night in the forum...then he got lucky and hit the bank 3 to bail the Lakers out.....before he got Gasol and Bynum on the squad, he couldn't win a hot dog eating contest. I still have respect for his skills, but I stand by my declining statement. Of course a declining Kobe is still better than all but 3 players, IMO...not bad.
    but remember, wade without shaq and odom led the miami heat to the worst record in the nba or something. carmelo and the nuggets were never anything without chauncy billups.

although carmelo is getting better, he could be a lot better. at 6'8 i dont see how he doesnt get close to 10 rebounds a game, given he plays like 35 min a game.

at this moment, i would put nowitzski above carmelo and its not even close
    Last edited by LuNaR; 12-08-09 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    but remember, wade without shaq and odom led the miami heat to the worst record in the nba or something. carmelo and the nuggets were never anything without chauncy billups.
    Every great player needs good teammates to win in the NBA. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell...you name it. Nobody has singlehandedly won an NBA championship without some good teammates.

If the NBA ever reaches a point where one superstar and eleven scrubs can win the championship, the league will be in *serious* trouble.

Actually Wade missed the most part of two seasons when the Heat's record went in the toilet due to injury, a lot of people thought his career was basically over. He was definitely the best player in the Olympics once he was healthy -- including LeBron and Kobe.

AFA Nowitzki over Melo....What the heck are you smoking, and can I have some??? Nowitzki is the NBA's premiere one dimensional player, jumpshot - jumpshot, and no defensive skill whatsoever. Melo can take you down low, drain any shot from anywhere on the court, and lock you down defensively. And you say not even CLOSE??? In the words of Charles Barkley "Carmelo Anthony is the best offensive player in the NBA today."

I agree about every superstar needing teammates, but it's what you do when you don't have them that matters. Shaq is no longer on the Heat but now that Wade is healthy they're contending in the East again. I think of the 5 players I named, LeBron has had the least amount of talent to work with though, followed by Melo, then Wade....I'm sorry but the consensus among almost every basketball expert is that the Lakers are stacked with All-Stars or potential All-Stars at all 5 positions, and that just doesn't merit props from me.

I agree about every superstar needing teammates, but it's what you do when you don't have them that matters. Shaq is no longer on the Heat but now that Wade is healthy they're contending in the East again.
    Wade is a great player and definitely one of the best in the leauge and I don't want to sound like I'm putting him down or anything, but if by "contending" you mean "barely winning half your games" then you might as well have called the '06 & '07 "contending" (which may be the overstatement of the decade).
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 12-08-09 at 07:21 PM.

I'm sorry but the consensus among almost every basketball expert is that the Lakers are stacked with All-Stars or potential All-Stars at all 5 positions, and that just doesn't merit props from me.
    I say...why quibble? Just sit back and enjoy it. A team this laden with cohesive talent has not been seen since those Jordan/Pippen/Rodman/Kukoc Chicago Bulls teams of the late 1990s (the 2004 Lakers had Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton, but that was no *team*). They're going to be fun to watch, and who knows when such an elegant assembly of talent will be seen in the NBA again?

Actually Wade missed the most part of two seasons when the Heat's record went in the toilet due to injury, a lot of people thought his career was basically over. He was definitely the best player in the Olympics once he was healthy -- including LeBron and Kobe.

AFA Nowitzki over Melo....What the heck are you smoking, and can I have some??? Nowitzki is the NBA's premiere one dimensional player, jumpshot - jumpshot, and no defensive skill whatsoever. Melo can take you down low, drain any shot from anywhere on the court, and lock you down defensively. And you say not even CLOSE??? In the words of Charles Barkley "Carmelo Anthony is the best offensive player in the NBA today."
    lol melo never locks down anyone defensively (not to mention, he plays the SF position which is never where the other team's best player is, and he also never guard the opposing team's best player), his post move is basically post post and jump shop/fadeaway (which nowitzski does too), and he drives to the rim as often as nowitzski, basically when its 1v1 and no support defenderS. and carmelo turns the ball over a lot for a forward

Frankly Lunar, you don't know anything about basketball if you don't think Melo has a loaded offensive arsenal, so no sense in my continuing that discussion. There are nuances to the offensive game that only people who have played it at a certain level can comment on and fully appreciate.

As far as Wade is concerned, the Heat will contend once DWade brings the young guys around -- they always come on late every year.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.yellowbeardedfreak.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Kobe-Carmelo-Final-1-1024x509.jpg')

D Wade is solid, but he's going to need a better team around him before he wins another championship. The eleven he has isn't going to cut it in a league that has such juggernauts as the Lakers and Celtics.

Wade said as much to the media earlier this week. He needs and wants some more help. If he doesn't get it in Miami, he might bolt somewhere where he has a more solid supporting crew.

Frankly Lunar, you don't know anything about basketball if you don't think Melo has a loaded offensive arsenal, so no sense in my continuing that discussion. There are nuances to the offensive game that only people who have played it at a certain level can comment on and fully appreciate.

As far as Wade is concerned, the Heat will contend once DWade brings the young guys around -- they always come on late every year.
    Loaded arsenal or not really depends on who you're comparing him to. In comparison to Dirk, they're range of moves are similar. Though, Dirk's offensive load in Dallas is a lot heavier than Carmelo's in Denver.

as for the Heat, Beasly has the potential to be an all star someday, but that's not for another few years (at his current rate of improvement). Wade doesn't have the time for that. Barring injuries to the other 3 in the East, the Heat won't be contending for the east this year.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 12-10-09 at 09:38 PM.

oh no i never said melo was not a great offensive player, i just said dirk was similar offensively but overall better at everything else on the court. u said melo was a lockdown D player which i just clearly do not see. but anyways i guess its our opinions anyways.

what do u guys think about tmac starting in the alls tar game lol, hes currently 2nd in all west guard votes

Kobe's capacity for hitting game-winning buzzer beaters has gotten supernaturally scary.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    oh no i never said melo was not a great offensive player, i just said dirk was similar offensively but overall better at everything else on the court. u said melo was a lockdown D player which i just clearly do not see. but anyways i guess its our opinions anyways.

what do u guys think about tmac starting in the alls tar game lol, hes currently 2nd in all west guard votes
    I've always liked T-Mac......wish he could have made Toronto a winner, but I think the NBA set those franchises up to fail personally.....

I've always liked T-Mac......wish he could have made Toronto a winner, but I think the NBA set those franchises up to fail personally.....
    You mean the Canadian expansion clubs? The Vancouver (now Memphis) Grizzlies certainly have never had much success, but during the Vince Carter years, the Toronto Raptors got within striking distance of the NBA Finals.

As for the late 1980s expansion teams in general, well...the Orlando Magic have made the NBA Finals twice in the twenty years since they were established and the Miami Heat have actually won the NBA title. The Minnesota Timberwolves got as far as the Western Conference Finals once, and the Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets did pretty well a few seasons ago with Chris Paul.

That might not sound all that impressive...just one NBA title and two Finals visits in twenty years for six franchises, but the lion's share of NBA titles have been held by just a few franchises: Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Pistons, Spurs, Rockets, and 76ers. Other than the Heat in '06, those seven franchises hold pretty much all the NBA titles of the past thirty years.

bigger markets certainly do make an impact (especially in the past). they just happen to attract bigger stars. though, at lot of it is also management and it's luck in putting together a team. the spurs are a small market team but they were lucky enough to get the personelles for championsips this past decade (as opposed to the knicks of this decade)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Kobe's capacity for hitting game-winning buzzer beaters has gotten supernaturally scary.
    yet somehow, he can't get the rest of his 3's to fall. maybe that's nature's way of equalling out the law of averages

Anyone ready for an avatar bet on the Lakers/Cavaliers game?

Loser needs to change to the winner's avatar for a few days.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Anyone ready for an avatar bet on the Lakers/Cavaliers game?

Loser needs to change to the winner's avatar for a few days.

Han Solo
    o u got it on, im rooting for the lakers