Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2009-2010 NBA Season

Default 2009-2010 NBA Season

Training camps have opened, so might as well get it going.

Kobe vs. LeBron in the Finals at last? Or will both the Lakers and Cavs shockingly miss the Finals?

I'd rather see the Lakers vs. Celtics again. REVENGE TIME!

This is probably the last year for the celtics to contend for a title. With Ray Allen being a FA next season and the big3 getting another year old.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    I'd rather see the Lakers vs. Celtics again. REVENGE TIME!
    I know. The only problem with last year's championship is that it wasn't the Celtics that the Lakers beat to get it.

The Lakers need to punish the Celtics for that debacle in 2008.

Barring injuries, the Lakers should easily make the finals again. I'm not terribly worried about the Spurs because Duncan is getting too old to be ultra-dominant like in the past. I'd say at this point, Gasol is at least as good as Duncan and perhaps even better. Thus more of the burden falls to Ginobili and Parker and now Jefferson as well. Kobe can outplay RJ any day. With an aging Duncan and no more Bowen, Kobe pretty much has a free reign to dissect the Spurs defense. Artest vs. Ginobili is probably the most interesting matchup. Artest is probably not quick enough to handle Ginobili on the wing, but Ginibili would get punished by Artest in the post so its probably a wash with maybe a slight edge to Ginobili. Parker would be the biggest problem for the Lakers, as Fisher is aging. However I really like the development of Shannon Brown and if Farmar can get back on track like the beginning of last year then I think the Lakers have enough solid PG play to minimize Parker's impact. The bench role of Odom and a healthy Bynum will also help, as the Lakers still have by far the deepest bench in the league. Unless the Spurs starters vastly outplay the Lakers starters which is highly unlikely, they don't really have a chance.

As for who comes out of the East, it looks like either Boston or Cleveland with Orlando as the dark horse, although I think Boston is slightly better as their team is more well-rounded. Shaq will help the Cavs overall, but he still brings awful P&R defense that every team can all exploit. Boston when healthy is probably the best team in the East as they basically have 4 all-stars with the emergeance of Rondo. The only team that can wield a lineup to match Boston's is the Lakers. Orlando's success will depend largely on how VC performs. If he phones it in like he does occasionally then they will have a problem. If he goes back to the VC of old and dunks on everyone instead of jacking up bad 3's then Orlando is a serious threat again.

Overall assuming there are no injuries I'd say its Lakers/Celtics again with Lakers getting revenge for 08.

Anybody interested in starting a yahoo fantasy nba league?

The scary thing is that Kobe is much more rested for 09-10 than he was for 08-09. So we can expect slightly more explosion from him. I also learned that he developed Hakeem's dream shake this year, adding another weapon for mid-post against Lebron or KG.

And yes Shannon Brown is coming along nicely, similar to Eddie Jones during Showtime II. These 2010 Lakers look like the 1996 Chicago team with an extra dash of Showtime. Not surprisingly, over 60% of coaches feel that the Lakers are the most exciting team to watch this year.

Another X-factor - Andrew Bynum. Impressive in his first exhibition game, and showing that his legs are back and possibly stronger. If that's the case, the Lakers are now one of the bigger teams in the league.

According to the coach/player polls on NBA.com, not much has changed other than the Lakers being even more highly expected to repeat.
    Last edited by ChuckC; 10-11-09 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added another point

LA looks to be the definite favorite this year...even with spurs,magic, cavs and Celtics looking strong on paper. Wish they showed ariza a little more respect and kept him. Ron Ron is the better player statistically atm...but Ariza was an awesome team player who knew his role + was still improving. Come play off time, artest's emotional/mental instability can be costly

as much as i wish ariza had stayed with the lakers, you can't blame the lakers for picking up artest who is a better deal for the money. Plus, it's partially ariza's (and his agent's) own fault for trying to play hardball. I mean, would you rather take the player who would take less money to be on your team or the player who is trying to milk more money out of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeren of all Trades View Post
    Anybody interested in starting a yahoo fantasy nba league?
    when does it start?

Preseason has just started but we could make a spcnet league and have whoev wants to play

It wasn't completly Ariza or his agent's fault...LA made it pretty obvious that they were out for Artest and made him their top prioriety. Ariza was pissed because kupchuck told him to test the market and did not make him an offer . He played well in the playoffs and was a large part of that team winnning the title (especially vs denver and magic) and he felt that they should have made him an offer (and rightfully so imo). Ron and Ariza make esentially the same money..but Ariza's contract is two or three (?) years longer..which is not much of an issue considering Ariza is younger and still developing.

Anyways, it was a smart (although somewhat risky) buisness move and on paper Artest is a definite upgrade over Ariza in nearly every catagory..they won't have to worry about the bigger three's out there bullying them in the paint like they did with ariza(pierce, melo bron ect)...plus artest's a better scorer overall. The thing i'm most worried about is chemistry (Artest can be quite the blackhole at times) and mental issues. If artest just focuses on playing hard D and only taking shots within the flow of the triangle, LA's gamble will push them over the top...but those are two big if's and imo with ariza and a healthy bynum they would be the clear fav's this year without the possible issues that artest brings. Phil will need to bring his A game to keep artest in check..but he's done it with rodman..so i have faith.

kupchack offered ariza the MLE pretty much the night that free agency opened. but since ariza wouldn't bite, kupchack told him to fish around. he didn't guarantee ariza anything. heck, if ariza can go fish around and look for better deals, why shouldn't the lakers? that's common sense, and ariza should've known better. i suppose his miscalculation was that no one expected artest to come around and offer himself to the lakers for such a cheap price (you think he would sign for MLE on any other team?)

that was a bad gamble on trevor's part, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 10-13-09 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    kupchack offered ariza the MLE pretty much the night that free agency opened. but since ariza wouldn't bite, kupchack told him to fish around. he didn't guarantee ariza anything. heck, if ariza can go fish around and look for better deals, why shouldn't the lakers? that's common sense, and ariza should've known better. i suppose his miscalculation was that no one expected artest to come around and offer himself to the lakers for such a cheap price (you think he would sign for MLE on any other team?)

that was a bad gamble on trevor's part, unfortunately.
    exactly my thought, i still love ariza tho
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

hrrmmm....from the way i remember it...there was no deal. Kupchuck told Ariza that he was worth the MLE and to "test the market" and IF he got a MLE deal then they would match. There was no real offer on the table and no real neogtiation...that's what offended Ariza. Then they went and signed Artest before seeing what Ariza would do.imo it was a respect and not a money thing with ariza...he had better deals than what Houston offered him but signed with them because they guranteed him a starting spot. (which was why he did not sign with cavs from what I read)

Not criticizing what kupchuck did...but I would have prefered to have Ariza back over artest due to the previously mentioned reasons.

I completly understand why Kupchuck did what he did, it was a smart buisness move..but I would have loved for Kupchuck to show some loyalty....ive been watching Ariza develope the last 3years and it was great to see him finally breakout during last years run and I wanted him back this year as well.

As for wether Ron would have signed with any other team for the MLE...not too surprised about what he did. In the past he's mentioned that he would be better off being a second options somewhere (i think he specifically mentioned backing up bron). Even this year he was pretty close to signing with the cavs for the MLE..but chose LA instead.
    Last edited by JoeLee; 10-13-09 at 05:47 PM.

i can't say exactly what happened, since i have no inside resources.

but i do remember on the first day of free agency, the media was making a big drama about how "inside sources" were saying that negotiations were at a standstill because the Lakers refused to go above the MLE and ariza felt insulted by that fact (at least from his agent's comments) and threatened to leave for other teams (even if they also only offered the MLE). the rumor i heard had it that ariza (his agent) were looking for about 7M/yr, thus kupchak told them to go test the market. this was all before any news of artest popping up. it could all just be media drama, but i'm thinking if there's no negotiations in the first place, there can't be too much fictitious drama.

though, i wouldn't say the lakers weren't looking out for ron artest since the begining. it could be perhaps why the lakers were stubborn enough not to budge to ariza's agent's demands. still, ultimately, i think it came down to whoever bit the offer first and artest showed that he wanted it more.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 10-13-09 at 08:43 PM.

Well so far this season is as I expected, with a few obvious surprises.

I did not expect the Suns to do well at all. I always knew that Steve Nash should never be counted out, but it is just amazing what he's doing right now. One of the greatest running point guards of all time, I think he's better than John Stockton.

Kobe Bryant, more rested this year with a new arsenal of mid and low post moves. Age 31, currently leading the league in scoring with jordanesque stats (check out his steals). It's becoming a real privilege just to watch him play, just like it was to watch Jordan. The Torch and the Spotlight is still with Kobe and LA.

Boston, just sick sick sick. I knew since last year they are a huge threat to the Lakers' title defense. This has the makings of another classic showdown and I hope for a rematch. I would like to see Boston at their very best when that happens, so we can definitively see who owns this decade.

Spurs. I've always hated but respected them, and to see a team like this suddenly lose steam actually makes me sad. I love Tim Duncan and I've been so accustomed to fearing this team. Always a worthy adversary for the past 10 years for LA, it looks like Denver is now surpassing them.

Denver. George Karl is a badass coach, no doubt. Melo is a phenomenal player, but I don't see him quite at the level of Kobe or D-Wade yet. He can get there, but I don't see it happening right now. Nonetheless, this is probably the second best team in the west.

Orlando - not bad, not bad. I think they'll be sleepers again, and if KG or someone in Boston gets hurt, they'll be back on top pretty fast.

I said last year that the Cavs are a joke. I would like to be proven wrong, but they've just supported that statement so far. I would like to see a Lebron-Kobe showdown, but there are just too many distractions surrounding Lebron's future that they aren't playing in the present. His numbers are down, too -- I expect that to pick up soon.

The Lakers have the best-starting five in the NBA, and perhaps one of the best sixth men as well.

The rest of their bench, however, stinks to high heaven...especially on "D."

ya LA has been killin it since gasol came back. I have a hard time seeing any team beat them 4 times in 7 games series even with home court...

Orlando has been doing alot better lately...and cleveland lookin pretty strong after their 0-2 start...expect 2 see spurs back in the mix by all-star break barring anymore injuries...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    ya LA has been killin it since gasol came back. I have a hard time seeing any team beat them 4 times in 7 games series even with home court...

Orlando has been doing alot better lately...and cleveland lookin pretty strong after their 0-2 start...expect 2 see spurs back in the mix by all-star break barring anymore injuries...
    TRULY Elite players in the NBA (in my order)....Carmelo, D-Wade, Lebron, Kobe, Dwight Howard....

Rising: Melo
    Falling: Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    TRULY Elite players in the NBA (in my order)....Carmelo, D-Wade, Lebron, Kobe, Dwight Howard....

Rising: Melo
    Falling: Kobe
    I think Kobe has plateaued. In other words, he's not going to get much better than he is or has been, but he hasn't started to slip in any noticeable way yet. He seems to be adjusting his game now that he's older and doesn't have quite the same level of youthful athleticism he had in seasons past, including learning some aspects of Hakeem Olajuwon's post game.

In this recent interview, Kobe discusses his approach to longevity.

Barring catastrophic and unforeseen injury, Kobe should remain among the elite in the NBA for at least another two or three seasons.