Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling dread amid happiness

Default Feeling dread amid happiness

Here's the story: one time when I was in the best of moods, suddenly, out of nowhere a sense of dread swept me away. I could not shrug off this terrible dread, nor could I return to my feeling of happiness. I suspected this had to do with my past, where once the peak of my happiness resulted in jumbo grief; I suspected I was getting a subconscious warning from my past.

Is there an explanation from psychology?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

It could be manic depressive or bipolar. But you'd have to fit a whole other range of symptoms before it's classified as something that serious, and it'd have to be reoccuring.

If something traumatic happened, it might be Post traumatic stress disorder. But again, it's useless to throw around prognosis like this. Maybe talk to a counsellor about.

But again, it's useless to throw around prognosis like this.
    No, it isn't. It gives me some ideas.

You have to understand that the DSM, the diagnostic manual used in the psychology profession is very vague.

It's not that it's vague, but rather - too rigid. The specific categories and amount of symptoms needed for diagnosis are too rigid. This is why many psychologists are pushing towards a continuum-based or trait-based re-model of the DSM. If you look at the specifications for each disorder in the DSM, it's pretty detailed. It's because of frequent comorbid occurrence of disorders that makes it difficult to properly diagnose and treat patients.

PJ - if it was an isolated period in your life not lasting very long, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if you want more speculations, there needs to be more details about these feelings.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Yes the criterion are specific, but what's vague is that you only need to meet a number of criteria to qualify, and then there's the overlap and comorbidity. You can have symptoms from this disorder, and symptoms from that disorder and thus a handful or psychologists may have different diagnosis for the same person.

But in this case, we're just people who are throwing around disorders, we don't have the experience and training to make a reliable evaluation. I mean, we could just label it as depression. But that doesn't help at all and could heavily mislead.

Best to talk to a counsellor about it.

Speak to a professional. Us crack psychologists online ain't gonna cut it
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Here's the story: one time when I was in the best of moods, suddenly, out of nowhere a sense of dread swept me away. I could not shrug off this terrible dread, nor could I return to my feeling of happiness. I suspected this had to do with my past, where once the peak of my happiness resulted in jumbo grief; I suspected I was getting a subconscious warning from my past.

Is there an explanation from psychology?
    Hmmm, I don't quite understand.

Have you consider what is the cause of your current dreaded feeling? It may not be link (in any way) to your past, which you may have wrongly taken it. Just my opinion.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

OK, this happened again. I just got done with a highly stressful period yesterday; as soon as I was done, I felt relieved and able to breathe again. Last night, I was organizing some things in the house, which I wanted to do for a long time but couldn't during the busy period. I suddenly realized that I was glad the stressful period was over and I could do things I enjoy again, but just then, I was swept away by the sensation that I was still stuck in stress, that I wasn't free from it. Since then I've been stuck in this semi-depressed mode and haven't been able to bring myself to be productive. I don't quite understand why

Maybe it's b/c I was stressed out for so long that even after it's done, the stress will retain for a while. Also I didn't do anything fun to celebrate, like a party, maybe that will help release the stress. Hopefully this unresolved sensation will diminish with time.
    Last edited by PJ; 08-12-10 at 09:52 AM.

You probably need to rest, or take a break. Sometimes, we move from one busy period with one type of activity/stress into another busy period with another type of activity/stress, in quick succession. Depending on the two activities, the body and mind may need to rest and "re-align" itself (especially in thoughts, focus, etc) after the first activity in order to be ready and productive for the second activity. People commonly refer to this as "recharging".
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    You probably need to rest, or take a break. Sometimes, we move from one busy period with one type of activity/stress into another busy period with another type of activity/stress, in quick succession. Depending on the two activities, the body and mind may need to rest and "re-align" itself (especially in thoughts, focus, etc) after the first activity in order to be ready and productive for the second activity. People commonly refer to this as "recharging".
    I agree, Yushi. In my case, right after the stressful period ended, I immediately jumped on other tasks that I'd been putting off, and I began to think about the tens of things that I needed to do. Didn't have the luxury of taking a rest, but now I think I will.

Sounds like a possible anxiety disorder. Seek professional opinions.

ALL THE FREAKING TIME...

I'm convinced (due to past experiences) that I can't experience full, consistent happiness without being forced to pay for it with ten times greater misery shortly afterwards. It's happened to me too many times for me to not believe in it.

So I deliberately cap the amount of satisfaction/joy I take in anything. The more that I dampen my enthusiasm, it seems the greater the chance I can avert disaster in the near future (although it doesn't always work).

It's a hell of a way to live: you never really take full joy in anything...at least not for long, but it helps to blunt at least some future disasters.

I've been living this way for years now. I can't see the day that I don't need to anymore (well, except for when I die, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    So I deliberately cap the amount of satisfaction/joy I take in anything. The more that I dampen my enthusiasm, it seems the greater the chance I can avert disaster in the near future (although it doesn't always work).

It's a hell of a way to live: you never really take full joy in anything...at least not for long, but it helps to blunt at least some future disasters.

I've been living this way for years now. I can't see the day that I don't need to anymore (well, except for when I die, of course).
    It's a good approach. It goes with the DGSD Irony of getting what you don't want, and not getting what you do want. So if you want something, forget about it, and you'll have it.

It's more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

By the way, Ken, you should watch the Japanese movie Train Man. The main character reminds me of your high school story.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    By the way, Ken, you should watch the Japanese movie Train Man. The main character reminds me of your high school story.
    Judging from the synopsis, it's very different from my situation.

You two need to see a good counselor to get over your unresolved issues.

PJ, if it's recurring, you really should go see a professional. If you don't want to take medicine, find a clinical psychologist instead of a psychiatrist.

But, in the mean time, you can try the following,
    - exercise
    - sleep early (before 11pm)
    - eat chocolate
    - just have fun
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    You two need to see a good counselor to get over your unresolved issues.

PJ, if it's recurring, you really should go see a professional. If you don't want to take medicine, find a clinical psychologist instead of a psychiatrist.
    Hopefully, someone who isn't just a frustrated art teacher.

But, in the mean time, you can try the following,
    - exercise
    That's a good idea. I don't get enough.

- sleep early (before 11pm)
    Probably a good idea too, but something I haven't been able to do consistently since I was thirteen (oh gee, I wonder if there's a connection?).

- eat chocolate
    Never been a big fan of the stuff, but just recently started to hate it because someone I'm not too fond of these days loves it obsessively.

I totally believe in destroying the entire body just to spite a hair. I'm a mad dog, after all.

- just have fun
    I'd love to, but I'd have ONE DAY of fun and have to answer for it with *at least* an entire year of misery...it ALWAYS, ALWAYS happens!

When life gives you lemons, don't forget to wash your bowl.

Hopefully, someone who isn't just a frustrated art teacher.
    No. Clinical psychologists and counselors are not frustrated art teachers. They are properly trained. For a counseling session to work, you also need to cooperate, provide the necessary information. Don't brush the counselor aside just because he/she can't give you all the answers in 1 or 2 sessions. Also, don't brush the counselor aside because his/her diagnosis of the cause of your problem is not entirely correct (according to your opinion) on the first meeting.
    Sometime, you will also hate or distrust a counselor if he/she make you see something your refuse to see (but needed for healing).

Many said counselling doesn't work. But, ask yourself, did you follow what your counselor advise? If he/she asked you to change your thought pattern, see things in another way, did you do it or you go back to you old thought patterns that caused all the misery in the first place?

Never been a big fan of the stuff, but just recently started to hate it because someone I'm not too fond of these days loves it obsessively.

I totally believe in destroying the entire body just to spite a hair. I'm a mad dog, after all.

I'd love to, but I'd have ONE DAY of fun and have to answer for it with *at least* an entire year of misery...it ALWAYS, ALWAYS happens!
    Conclusion. You are the cause of your misery. Like the chocolate thing. You are not spiting anyone but yourself with your hate of chocolate. That person your are not too fond of won't like chocolate any less. He/she will still enjoy his/her chocolate as always.

Answer to who? What misery?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩