View Poll Results: Does Obama deserves the Nobel Prize?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 6.25%
  • No

15 93.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize - Agreed or Disagree?

Default Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize - Agreed or Disagree?

Do you think he deserves it?

A resounding "NO". Nothing that he did was that great yet. The most memorable thing I recall about him was that speech in Egypt but that is still nothing.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 10-09-09 at 09:52 PM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Nothing against Obama, but - no. In a few years time maybe I might applaud the decision (depending on how things - and Obama - turn out, of course) but not yet.

Anyway - people still take Nobel Peace Prize seriously after Arafat got it? C'mon.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

I voted for 'No', but it might actually be 'Yes', depending on the point of view.

I said 'No', because I think of the Nobel Prize as one of the world's most prestigious awards. Thus far, save his decision to send the soldiers stationed in Afghanistan back home, nothing really stood out (and even Bush had given some hints about this possibility when he ruled). But it's not good enough for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Then again, it MIGHT be 'Yes', since, as you said, the standards for a Nobel Peace Prize winner have decreased pretty significantly. Kofi Annan and UN got one, but if so, don't you think that the UN should win this prize almost every times?
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.

Jim Carter, Arafat, Al Gore... The Nobel Peace Prize has long became a patronizing joke. But awarding an empty suit for being black and not Bush is indeed a new low. The nomination deadline was Feb 1, meaning some New Age Prophet foresaw how The Messiah can bring Peace to the World when he was <1 month in office.

BUT, that is not what really creeps me out... @_@

Beforehand, I've thought comparisons of Obama to Hitler was a bit too far - surely Mr. O can't be THAT awe-inspiring... yet? I was wrong. News forums were filled with GoGoObamaI<3you users yelling about how this signifies HOPE and CHANGE finally, Obama is the only deserving winner for 30 years, how the right + religious + neo-cons + idiots + whatever can eat &#%@, how Obama-haters can all die, how anyone who is skeptical must be a crazy jealous RACIST, etc. etc. etc.

Creepy. This cult following of a US president is totally creeping me out. Reminds me of documentaries with scenes of people crying hysterically for Chairman Mao, of how the Cultural Revolution came about, of why so many of us immigrated to the West. And did I mention it's creepy? Sorry I'm overwhelmed with creep...

America is just one accident away from civil war.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

What you describe *is* creepy - this sort of stuff always is - but comparing Obama to Hitler - c'mon that's foul play, not to mention nonsense...

That people always were, are and probably always will be stupid sheep and that they need icons to worship (if there are none, they will make some), that's a different matter.
    Plus - discussions on news forums are like commentaries on youtube - they tend to attract idiots from all parts of the political/demographic/religious/you-name-it spectrum.

Still - giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize was a silly idea.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    What you describe *is* creepy - this sort of stuff always is - but comparing Obama to Hitler - c'mon that's foul play, not to mention nonsense...

That people always were, are and probably always will be stupid sheep and that they need icons to worship (if there are none, they will make some), that's a different matter.
    Plus - discussions on news forums are like commentaries on youtube - they tend to attract idiots from all parts of the political/demographic/religious/you-name-it spectrum.

Still - giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize was a silly idea.
    Agree, especially the part where news forums discussions are like Youtube commentaries - made by probably the most idiotic people ever and you're just better off not reading them.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

The award had nothing to do with Obama as an individual. It's way too early for him to have done anything. It was the Nobel committee's way of rewarding the American people for voting him into office - a necessary step for peace in most of Europe's eyes. It was a "thank God it's not George Bush" award.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    The award had nothing to do with Obama as an individual. It's way too early for him to have done anything. It was the Nobel committee's way of rewarding the American people for voting him into office - a necessary step for peace in most of Europe's eyes. It was a "thank God it's not George Bush" award.
    Considering the election was between Obama and McCain, either case it's not going to be George Bush, so awarding American people for that is silly. Unless they regard McCain as another George Bush which I don't think that's fair, McCain would definitely stay on the course of war, but so has Obama, as he plans to increase troops in Afghanistan and possibly igniting a new war with Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor View Post
    Considering the election was between Obama and McCain, either case it's not going to be George Bush, so awarding American people for that is silly. Unless they regard McCain as another George Bush which I don't think that's fair, McCain would definitely stay on the course of war, but so has Obama, as he plans to increase troops in Afghanistan and possibly igniting a new war with Iran.
    I'd partially agree with ChuckC. Certainly, there was no George or his junior in the election. Still, there's a danger of electing another clone of the Bushes. So, I would rather approach this as a "thank God it's not another George Bush-alike" award.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Yes, I agree the fact that the American people (a little more than the majority who voted, anyway) chose a change of direction. It’s clear that Bush’s foreign policy was not popular with the rest of the world. You can argue whether attacking Iraq was better for US national security or not but to the rest of the world, that’s irrelevant. The chance for relative peace (absolute peace in the world is highly unlikely) is better with Obama in charge than with Bush. In my opinion, to reduce the proliferation of terrorism, you need to reduce their support system. Antagonizing moderates in the region by bombing them and “preemptively striking” them is not the way to go. It’s one thing if Iraq did have a hand in 911, but they didn’t, and the Neo-Cons basically bullied the CIA to report what they wanted to hear. There’ll always be extremists there, but if you make the overall sentiment in the region even more anti-American and producing even more terrorists, that’s not exactly helping the matter.

McCain had molded himself more right in order to appeal to the hardcore Conservatives, and as a result, he made himself look like a Bush clone.

As for the award, no I don’t think Obama deserves it. Not yet, anyhow.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

What I see is increasing polarization between the left and right in the US. The swing from Bush to Obama are two extremes, no good either way.

Ironically, the Nobel Peace Prize just adds oil to the fire.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor View Post
    ... so has Obama, as he plans to increase troops in Afghanistan and possibly igniting a new war with Iran.
    Maybe this lame Nobel Peace award is to stop Obama from starting that war.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I'd partially agree with ChuckC. Certainly, there was no George or his junior in the election. Still, there's a danger of electing another clone of the Bushes. So, I would rather approach this as a "thank God it's not another George Bush-alike" award.
    Does any sane person really want Sarah Palin in office?

Anyway, I personally think it was Cheney who was the most instrumental in orchestrating the war against Iraq. I think at his core, GWB is a good man, but I don't think Cheney is.

Regarding a few posts above, I think the choice of Arafat and Rabin was for their effort in the Oslo agreement and at that time, was thought to be the start of permanent peace between Israel and Palestine.

Of course, things do not turn well, but there were many factors behind this including 1) the unfortunate death of Rabin, 2) Sharon's right wing politics, 3) ultimately Arafat's failure to govern and the corruption of his government.

At that time though, it was the correct decision by the Nobel committee.

Regarding the other choices, I do not think that Gore was a worthy recipient.

Neither is Obama. This prize is more for promise than for achievement, and you can argue that there are more ppl who are deserving of the peace prize.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Jim Carter, Arafat, Al Gore... The Nobel Peace Prize has long became a patronizing joke. But awarding an empty suit for being black and not Bush is indeed a new low. The nomination deadline was Feb 1, meaning some New Age Prophet foresaw how The Messiah can bring Peace to the World when he was <1 month in office.

BUT, that is not what really creeps me out... @_@

Beforehand, I've thought comparisons of Obama to Hitler was a bit too far - surely Mr. O can't be THAT awe-inspiring... yet? I was wrong. News forums were filled with GoGoObamaI<3you users yelling about how this signifies HOPE and CHANGE finally, Obama is the only deserving winner for 30 years, how the right + religious + neo-cons + idiots + whatever can eat &#%@, how Obama-haters can all die, how anyone who is skeptical must be a crazy jealous RACIST, etc. etc. etc.

Creepy. This cult following of a US president is totally creeping me out. Reminds me of documentaries with scenes of people crying hysterically for Chairman Mao, of how the Cultural Revolution came about, of why so many of us immigrated to the West. And did I mention it's creepy? Sorry I'm overwhelmed with creep...

America is just one accident away from civil war.
    come now, there are fanatics in all categories.

plus, every charismatic president probably had his fanatic followings. i'm sure there were bill clinton fan clubs, ronald regan worshippers, kennedy lovers, etc. The only thing is, with all this technology and web service, it's much easier to follow and find the fanatics. (Also, the lack there of in the Bush Jr. years may make the contrast even more apparant)

I don't know whether it's because of the internet, I only know Obama is the exact opposite of Bush - they both ignite extreme personal worship/hate going way beyond normal rationality in a significant fraction of people.

It is an unhealthy phenomenon that I find highly disturbing.

You don't really hear from the silent majority. People who bother to leave an opinion is likely going to extreme leaning one way or another.

I am a pretty objective person even though I am left center. I am actually right leaning on some issues. I was for the Iraq war until the truth came out that they had nothing to do with 911. I don't mind going to war or killing other country's citizens, as long as it's justified and accomplishes the intended goal. In Iraq's case, all it did was create more chaos in the region and deepen animosity toward the US. I am for the death penalty and I am for stiff criminal penalties.

I was an independent who was actually more leaning toward Republicans because of Giuliani. I have become more left in recent years due to finally paying attention to world events as the Iraq War occurred and understanding the right wingers/neo-cons for who they are and what they stand for. I simply cannot belong in the same party as them. I've also seen the different way liberals and conservatives present their arguments. I mean, I have a brain, I can distinguish who argues based on facts and who argues based on bias, misinformation or ignorance MOST OF THE TIME. Liberals definitely do lie too. But the lesser of two evils is the Democratic Party.

Therefore I am now a registered Democrat.

The silent majority - middle class, middle-aged whites - was roused into action. Witness the healthcare townhall meetings and the march on Washington in August.

When the usual silent becomes loud, it signifies deep social unrest.