Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are Asians smart or do we just study harder?

Quote Originally Posted by fridaythe13th View Post
    To answer the question, partially is do to studying harder, but I think that may have to do with the Chinese culture itself. The Chinese education system has been setup to push students to learning more "educational" things and getting better grades. The Chinese culture has been, at least to me, focused on competitiveness, especially as the living standards raise, people want to be on the top.

Then again, I have met other people from Australia who are very smart as well so....

Think of it this WAY......

Would you want to be liu bei or Kong ming? Kong ming is super smart, and liu bei is not, but kong ming work for liu bei so who is smarter in reality???

if you answer kong ming than explain why is he working for liu bei.

Quote Originally Posted by IPlayWow View Post
    Think of it this WAY......

Would you want to be liu bei or Kong ming? Kong ming is super smart, and liu bei is not, but kong ming work for liu bei so who is smarter in reality???

if you answer kong ming than explain why is he working for liu bei.
    Intelligence is not the only answer.

The simplest answer is because Liu Bei was the employer/boss right from the start. So unless Zhuge Liang starts his own empire (which he wasn't interested in doing) or topples Liu Bei (which wasn't his character), he's going to be the employee. But to display his sheer intelligence and capability, look where he got to in the Liu administration.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Kong Ming should have work for Coa Coa instead of Liu Bei. Coa Coa was more powerful and better leader than Liu Bei.

http://kimchibokkeumbap.blogspot.com...hat-smart.html

i think asians are the smartest

otherwise, china wouldn't have dominated everyone economically and technologically for 18 of the 20 centuries and they wouldn't have preceded the rest of the world in the fabrication of pottery by several centuries.

In the United States, at least, Asians are brilliant and intelligent, but we seriously lack something. The top top students in high school and college are usually Caucasians, not necessarily Asians. We may rank up there, but in terms of actual social skills and networking, we lag far behind our fairer skin brothers and sisters. I still remember my college valedictorian - 100 average, super cute, supercute, a party-girl in a sorority, and friends with everyone in the school. It's sort of this lack of life outside of academics and forced extracurriculars that basically handicaps Asian Americans in the real world that is after school ends.

I'm not particularly eloquent, but this article from a few months ago sums it up pretty well for the Asian American experience: http://nymag.com/news/features/asian-americans-2011-5/
    曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!

Quote Originally Posted by Feuersturm View Post
    In the United States, at least, Asians are brilliant and intelligent, but we seriously lack something. The top top students in high school and college are usually Caucasians, not necessarily Asians. We may rank up there, but in terms of actual social skills and networking, we lag far behind our fairer skin brothers and sisters. I still remember my college valedictorian - 100 average, super cute, supercute, a party-girl in a sorority, and friends with everyone in the school. It's sort of this lack of life outside of academics and forced extracurriculars that basically handicaps Asian Americans in the real world that is after school ends.

I'm not particularly eloquent, but this article from a few months ago sums it up pretty well for the Asian American experience: http://nymag.com/news/features/asian-americans-2011-5/
    Yeah, I do think we are lacking of something too but there is one thing that we beat all of them hand down. That is life expectancy. Asians outlive pretty much all other races in Canada and US.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Yeah, I do think we are lacking of something too but there is one thing that we beat all of them hand down. That is life expectancy. Asians outlive pretty much all other races in Canada and US.
    It's probably a diet thing. Most Asian cuisine includes less crap such as saturated fats, which are especially bad when deep fried. Asians probably generally consume less sodium and sugar too, which are also killers.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Intelligence is not the only answer.

The simplest answer is because Liu Bei was the employer/boss right from the start. So unless Zhuge Liang starts his own empire (which he wasn't interested in doing) or topples Liu Bei (which wasn't his character), he's going to be the employee. But to display his sheer intelligence and capability, look where he got to in the Liu administration.
    Liu Bei is not as intelligent as Zhuge Liang, but Liu possess some quality that Zhuge does not. Liu can have brilliant people, like Zhuge and others, follow and sacrificing their lives for him.

Overall Asians are not smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Feuersturm View Post

It is mostly due to immigration policies. When you only mostly allow hard-working/highly educated Asians in, they will pass on their culture to their next generation.

As for being the absolute best, given the fact Asian is 5% population, and the fact Asians do face discrimination just like any other visible minorities (ie, bamboo ceiling), I would say we are doing okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeron View Post
    It is mostly due to immigration policies. When you only mostly allow hard-working/highly educated Asians in, they will pass on their culture to their next generation.
    For *now*. A few generations into life in a different culture, the influence of the original culture diminishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    For *now*. A few generations into life in a different culture, the influence of the original culture diminishes.
    Pretty much. I remember reading a report a while back on average Asian income.

Basically, on average, 1.5 and second generation Asian Americans make the highest amount of money, followed by the highly educated 1st generation Asians, and then 3rd and fourth generation Asian Americans (who are on par with the rest of America).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It's probably a diet thing. Most Asian cuisine includes less crap such as saturated fats, which are especially bad when deep fried. Asians probably generally consume less sodium and sugar too, which are also killers.
    Yeah, that is something Asians should be proud of despite being physically disadvantage compare to other races.

This is true. Asians living in US and Canada aren't average Asian so they tend to do better. It's good to pass on their culture from generation to generation.

As for being the absolute best, given the fact Asian is 5% population, and the fact Asians do face discrimination just like any other visible minorities (ie, bamboo ceiling), I would say we are doing okay.
    Not just okay, I think Asians living in US and Canada are doing very well in general. Dimeron, are you a member of the NAACP? Please put your cheap race card away. I am sick and tired of people using it when things don't work out in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Yeah, that is something Asians should be proud of despite being physically disadvantage compare to other races.
    Asians are physically disadvantages to other races?

This is true. Asians living in US and Canada aren't average Asian so they tend to do better. It's good to pass on their culture from generation to generation.
    Its not just East Asians, any immigrants that make it here through the standard skilled/investment immigration process, let them be Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern, Eastern European, or even black African all do extrmely well. And they all typically have one thing in common which is high value on education and work ethics.

Not just okay, I think Asians living in US and Canada are doing very well in general. Dimeron, are you a member of the NAACP? Please put your cheap race card away. I am sick and tired of people using it when things don't work out in their favor.
    Considering I'm Canadian, would be hard to join NAACP. You should also realize there is a vast difference between acknowledging that visible minorities (including Asians) do suffer racial discrimination, and blaming every single problem you have on your race.

Asians are physically disadvantages to other races?
    Yeah, Asians are shorter and smaller build than other races. I think it's harder for Asians to gain muscle than other races.

Its not just East Asians, any immigrants that make it here through the standard skilled/investment immigration process, let them be Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern, Eastern European, or even black African all do extrmely well. And they all typically have one thing in common which is high value on education and work ethics.
    Agree, success or failure have nothing to do with race. They have everything to do with lifestyle, education and work ethics.

Considering I'm Canadian, would be hard to join NAACP. You should also realize there is a vast difference between acknowledging that visible minorities (including Asians) do suffer racial discrimination, and blaming every single problem you have on your race.
    There are race card users in Canada but way less than America.