Thread: Which would make you feel worse?

Default Which would make you feel worse?

Let's say you met with some crushing failure or disappointment. Which would make you feel worse?

1. You failed because you followed your own wrong instincts and ideas.

2. You failed because you listened to somebody else's bad advice rather than followed your own better ideas, which might have led to success.

I can live with failing if my ideas were stupid. I would hate to fail because I was following someone elses directive if it meant that I had to forego my own ideas.

I'm ok with accepting I'm stupid, atleast my ideas will be more informed in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I can live with failing if my ideas were stupid. I would hate to fail because I was following someone elses directive if it meant that I had to forego my own ideas.

I'm ok with accepting I'm stupid, atleast my ideas will be more informed in future.
    Agreed.

I'd hate to have failed because of not sticking to my own instincts or ideas.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Agreed. I can live with my own stupidity more so than my lack of judgement.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Agreed. I can live with my own stupidity more so than my lack of judgement.
    Indeed. Losing out because you chose to listen someone else is like double the slap.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I would listen to the older and wiser. If I have a hunch that something is not right with my ideas, and I insist to hit myself against the wall, what sense would that make?

In the end, at least I know that I had explored more than one option. And, of course, besides only sticking to the "who is right and who is wrong", why not explore what went wrong in his/her idea and mine? Say, if I stick to my plan, maybe the damage will be minimised? or worse? However disappointed and crushed, just don't take too long to stand on your feet again.

I would add that you had your choice to choose and another's (or more). The moral of the story is, no matter which you had chose, it's within your options. So, you make a decision and don't regret it whatever be the result.

P/s: I think there's always a moment of time which we need to follow another's advice. You won't know, it is one of those times where you felt like your head is in the air and committed a foolish act. I think we have an example sometime back, haven't we? (someone seemly had already made up his mind doing something, despite we threw him the option of what is right to do.)
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 10-30-09 at 11:12 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

The point of the topic is not asking what is the better thing to do or how you should feel. It's just asking what makes you feel worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    The point of the topic is not asking what is the better thing to do or how you should feel. It's just asking what makes you feel worse.
    Do you want to edit this? Because it doesn't make sense, at least to me.

Whether is "how you should feel" or "what makes you feel worse", I have answered in my 1st para (if it is not clear to you), the rest of my post are just additional. Nonsense they can be, if you'd like to treat them as.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I would listen to the older and wiser. If I have a hunch that something is not right with my ideas, and I insist to hit myself against the wall, what sense would that make?
    Meaning to say, I'd choose 3) I don't feel so bad if that person whom I seek opinion from is known to be someone wiser. I can live with it even if it failed. If I had insist to proceed with my idea knowing there is someone wiser whom I can seek from, I'd find it rather foolish.

1 & 2, are just as bad, IMO.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 10-31-09 at 12:19 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post

Nonsense they can be, if you'd like to treat them as.
    When backwards talk for no reason you do, see this picture you always will.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://media.canada.com/074dfb0f-a99d-4640-9732-cc12e712ec59/yoda.jpg')

Meaning to say, I'd choose 3) I don't feel so bad if that person whom I seek opinion from is known to be someone wiser. I can live with it even if it failed. If I had insist to proceed with my idea knowing there is someone wiser whom I can seek from, I'd find it rather foolish.
    Too much power to others this view gives. Content to let others make choices for you, you are?

Doesn't really matter. Whether I decide to follow my own ideas and instincts and end up failing horribly or whether I end up failing horribly because I decided to follow somebody's advice, I still failed because at the critical moment, *I* made a stupid decision.
    If I fail because I listened to a bad advice, there's a slight consolation in the partial shift of responsibility on the person who came up with the stupid idea - but in the end it doesn't matter whose stupid idea it was, whether mine or somebody else's - the decision to put it to practice is still mine.

So my answer to the question - neither. Both would make me feel pretty bad (the more epic the fail, the worse...).

Frankly (and now I'm going to contradict myself a bit) - what would make me feel *really* bad (even worse than the two scenarios suggested by Ken) would be someone else meeting a crushing failure or disappointment because I gave them a really stupid advice.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    When backwards talk for no reason you do, see this picture you always will.
    Intention I had, to talk backwards that is.

Fast you are, to catch me on that.

Too much power to others this view gives. Content to let others make choices for you, you are?
    Make choices for me, not content if it is anyone simply. Only content should someone wiser there be.

Have I mentioned not, Jedi?

1), if it's 2) you can blame someone else for the failing.
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey View Post
    A Convenience store as convenient as, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey View Post
    Which begs the question: who's dumber, the person who gave the poor advice or the person who acted upon it?

Quote Originally Posted by skylee View Post
    Which begs the question: who's dumber, the person who gave the poor advice or the person who acted upon it?
    Said that Master Obi-Wan did as well...in EPISODE IV he did.