6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shen (Cantonese: San)

5 83.33%
  • The Overlord of Chinese Communism

1 16.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: God's words -vs- Mao's words

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I have thought twice and even trice before writing that line down because I anticipated a Christian will say something like this, and it only takes 5 minutes for you to prove me right.
    Yes, you can certainly expect a Christian to say that as a precaution or reminder to a non-believer because I know many non-believers who come to me, equipped with the 'knowledge' of words in bible, but without true understanding. Because to them 'God do not exist' is set by default so everything in that book hardly make sense.

So, it all comes down to, you need the book, the heart to accept and a leader to guide. It's just like your classes in school, by reading the textbook and no guidence from teacher, you get nothing out of it.

Actually, since you have interest to read the book, which is good, try to attend Service too. The Pastor's stories which links to the chapters, makes it all more interesting!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 07-01-10 at 02:03 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Uh, I would rather read the book and make up my own mind than have a pastor who's intention is to bring me into Christianity to guide me.

Reading a book with an open mind means reading it without preconceive bias. Reading the book with the intention to believe it, is not reading with open-mind.

And lastly, I get plenty of out of reading textbook and reference book by myself.

I did not read the book to find contradictions to argue with Christians and neither did I read the book in order to believe. I think I'm open-minded enough this way. I just read it because I want to know what the whole book says.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-01-10 at 02:22 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Uh, I would rather read the book and make up my own mind than have a pastor who's intention is to bring me into Christianity to guide me.
    Honestly, I get this alot too. But that's not quite true. Not all Pastor do that.

I remember I had the same mentality before which then was proven wrong.

Reading a book with an open mind means reading it without preconceive bias. Reading the book with the intention to believe it, is not reading with open-mind.
    Don't think too much, just keep an open *heart*, mind work is not required.

And lastly, I get plenty of out of reading textbook and reference book by myself.
    Given the long history, and all in the bible, perhaps I wasn't as bright as you enough to fully gasp what is in the bible by reading it as a book.

I did not read the book to find contradictions to argue with Christians and neither did I read the book in order to believe. I think I'm open-minded enough this way. I just read it because I want to know what the whole book says.
    Well, there might be some who read and challenge, which is fine too (even it can be annoying for us).

I'm trying to say that, given the need to understand the Old Testament + New Testament, understand why God did certain things while believing that he isn't "evil" when he do them (eg. sent the flood), these all need some sort of believe rather than talking about bias-ness. Faith is the keyword here. I may suggest that, ff you still don't sense 'Faith' in the bible context after more than half the book, I suggest that you throw the book away. You can find a more interesting book than that.

My enthusiasm to response will end here. The needed reminder I had given, and my job is done. Adios!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 07-01-10 at 02:49 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Sorry, nope. Not going to throw the Bible away. It still interest me. Even if I have lost interest, I still won't throw it away. It's not in me to do that.

You actually ask me to throw away your Holy Book?
    Last edited by kidd; 07-01-10 at 03:09 AM.

Kidd,

Whether or not you believe in its divinity, praise the Lord for leading you to the Holy Book. =) Although I think most english versions of the bible are not that much of a difference, but there is a difference between a Catholic and a non-Catholic bible. (google if ya wanna know )

And don't throw the bible (or any book for that matter) away. Ya I know you won't, but just adding on to the comment. Pass it on and give it to somebody else - lets recycle material and be environmtal friendly.

Personally I cannot imagine why anyone would advocate bible-throwing, considering just how much blood was shed before the bible was born...it would seemed a very disrespectful thing to do.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Sales figures can be tricky for these 2 books because I'd imagine they're both handed out freely in many cases (in which case no "sale"). But in terms of circulation, I imagine the bible should have upper hand now, since Mao is mostly a thing of the past.
    This is true since China is no longer embrace Marxism like it was during Mao's era.

The events in Bible need to be read with contextual, regarding war etc.

Why we enter religion talk again? For example I can simply say Buddhism also looks nasty. They officially endorsed martial art. I found it paradox in the morning they recite sutra but then practise how to punch people face .

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    Kidd,

Whether or not you believe in its divinity, praise the Lord for leading you to the Holy Book. =) Although I think most english versions of the bible are not that much of a difference, but there is a difference between a Catholic and a non-Catholic bible. (google if ya wanna know )
    Yeah, I've read about it. Catholics and Christians use different Bibles. I found info on it. Someone in Amazon review wrote this,
    http://www.amazon.com/review/RE7CHIA...#RE7CHIADIWAQM

Catholics-- NAS, Jerusalem

Liberal Christians (Episcopal, Presbyterians, Congregationalist, ELCA Lutheran) -- NRSV, CEV, Good News (TEV)

Conservative Christians (Baptist, Evangelical, Mormon, Wisconsin and Missouri Lutheran) -- King James, NIV

I also came upon a page where a Catholic (I assume he's new to the faith) specifically asked which Bible he should read.
    http://www.adoremus.org/0705ChoosingBible.html

The Bibles mentioned in the answers include

- Douay-Rheims version
    - Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition (1966),
    - The Jerusalem Bible (1968)
    - The New American Bible (1970)

But, the answerer also said this
    "All the other contemporary Catholic versions now available in English are flawed in varying degrees by the use of unacceptable translation principles. Among these are the New Revised Standard Version, the New Jerusalem Bible, and the Revised New American Bible [RNAB]."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    And don't throw the bible (or any book for that matter) away. Ya I know you won't, but just adding on to the comment. Pass it on and give it to somebody else - lets recycle material and be environmtal friendly.

Personally I cannot imagine why anyone would advocate bible-throwing, considering just how much blood was shed before the bible was born...it would seemed a very disrespectful thing to do.
    Yeah, I seldom throw books away, more so religious books. In fact, it's hard for me to throw anything away, even old magazine.
    Books are a source of knowledge.

I agree with you. Lots of efforts has been made to compile the Bible. We don't even need to talk about how the original Bible was compiled. The translation of the Bible into English (or other language) alone took up years and efforts by many scholars.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-01-10 at 09:35 PM.

I agree with you. Lots of efforts has been made to compile the Bible. We don't even need to talk about how the original Bible was compiled. The translation of the Bible into English (or other language) alone took up years and efforts by many scholars.
    Apparently you two couldn't deduce/comprehend the meaning behind that line "throw the bible away" while reading it by the surface. I do appreciate the fact that you can appreciate the works of Great Men from the past. However, I do think that their effort has gone into waste when one still reluctant to connect their FAITH to the "stories" in the bible. It's just like, you go to school but prefer to play rather than studying. You're wasting the teacher's time.

As I had strongly emphasized that always, Faith and Christianity are one. Don't do big talks about appreciating their effort without proving it.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 07-02-10 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Apparently you two couldn't deduce/comprehend the meaning behind that line "throw the bible away" while reading it by the surface. I do appreciate the fact that you can appreciate the works of Great Men from the past. However, I do think that their effort has gone into waste when one still reluctant to connect their FAITH to the "stories" in the bible. It's just like, you go to school but prefer to play rather than studying. You're wasting the teacher's time.

As I had strongly emphasized that always, Faith and Christianity are one. Don't do big talks about appreciating their effort without proving it.
    darling, be patient. besides, God gave us free-will, and respect us for it. He welcomes all who embraces Him, and nevertheless love those who didn't.

II genuinely didn't understand the 'anger' that someone is 'wasting' whoever's time. The one who plow the coffee seed never get to taste how wonderful the coffee is when brewed.

It only seemed a waste of time if you're looking for immediate results. Lack of respect for others decision certainly does not conform to God's respect for freewill of men.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Ok, now, I understand.

I'm wasting the translators' time because I don't read the Bible with a certain mindset and in a certain way.

I'm 'doing big talks about appreciating their effort without proving it' because I don't read the Bible the way Ceddie wants me to.

You don't read it my way, you better not read it. It's my way or the highway.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-02-10 at 02:00 AM.

People don't read for the mere sake of believing; there are other good reasons for reading a bible, or any other (holy) books and scriptures.

And I agree with the following:
    It only seemed a waste of time if you're looking for immediate results. Lack of respect for others decision certainly does not conform to God's respect for freewill of men.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."