Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JY Main Characters: Swordsmanship Ranking

Default JY Main Characters: Swordsmanship Ranking

Pretty simple. I'm not too familiar with some of his minor stuff, so i'll need help there. The heroes and their weapons are listed in my ranking. I think 1-4 should be pretty easy, but I'm not sure how Guo Jing vs Linghu Chong vs Zhangwuji would work out. The others are sort of adhoc. I don't think they can crack the elites though (the gap between 7 and 8 should be quite enormous).

1. Yue Maiden with Yue Sword Using Yue Style
    2/3. Need consensus! YG vs LHC
    4/5. Need consensus! ZWJ vs GJ
    6. XF
    7. Shi Potian Saber style (?? unsure how good this is)
    8. Di Yun with Linked City Swordsmanship
    9. Yuan Chengzhi using Golden Snake Sword and Style
    10. Chen Jialuo with any sword
    11. Hu Fei with sword (any)
    12. Li Wengxiu with sword
    13. Wei Xiaobao with Sharp Dagger (fail)
    Last edited by HuntingX; 11-02-09 at 12:03 AM.

I'd rate Guo Jing as the lowest of the Condor trilogy protagonists. When he used an iron flute against Hong Qigong, he wasn't well-practiced in swordplay, and his performance improved once he was fighting barehanded. Also, I don't think he learned any Quanzhen arts other than internal cultivation. At the beginning of ROCH, he considered himself sort of a Quanzhen disciple, but only in relation to Ma Yu's teachings, which didn't include external techniques. I'd list 4-7 in this order.

4. Yang Guo with the Heavy Iron Sword and style
    5. Zhang Wuji with the Heaven Sword using Taichi Swordsmanship
    6. Linghu Chong with a sword (any) using DG9J
    7. Guo Jing with a sword (any) and 9 yin swordmanship

If you rate it as understanding of swordsmanship and techniques (i.e. discount the effect of Greater Inner power), I'd think Linghu Chong should be at the top of the list.

XF, DY and XZ shouldn't be that high up. XF only used a sabre once but since he was much faster and stronger than those he massacred with the sabre, he could have done the same thing with an axe/sword/spear/hook/hammer.

I'd put it as :

1. Linghu Chong
    2. Zhang Wuji
    3. Yang Guo
    4. Guo Jing/Xiao Feng

Can't comment on the rest, not too familiar with the books. Read Yue Maiden but it seems like Journey to the West in terms of feats so I'd leave it out.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

As YBQ said, all swordsmanship comes from inner energy first!

I suppose I should have written, give everyone a sword and see who is left standing

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    If you rate it as understanding of swordsmanship and techniques (i.e. discount the effect of Greater Inner power), I'd think Linghu Chong should be at the top of the list.
    Agreed. If swordsmanship is the only item being measured, it must go to Ling Wu Chung. The other heroes are not in his class in terms of just swordsmanship.

In overall martial arts, however, it's a different story.

To have some fun here, let's go and ignore inner energy for a moment. I'll update the original post accordingly (and that means poor XZ and DY are screwed)

1. How good as Taichi Swordplay by itself? I think it was only useful for ZWJ because he could literally glue his sword to his opponents then batter them into submission
    2. YG had a good 21-22 years of sword training (16+ tomb). He's not dim, had access to DGQB's teachings, and a really 'direct' (LOL) sword style.
    3. LHC only had 1 month of lessons and less than a year of battle experience, and had some pretty bad chokefests
    4. Is there a WAY to segregate swordsmanship from internal energy? YG can't even pick up his sword without some inner energy basis.

Given that, you could argue YG vs LHC for #1, GJ (Jade Flute isn't too bad, and he knows Big Dipper swordsplay) vs ZWJ for #2, with XF bringing up the rear.

You can't segregate swordplay and internal energy.

It will be hard to compare due to internal energy differences between characters.

Is this thread going to end up as Tachi sword vs DG9J vs HIS, formless vs counter all stance?
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    You can't segregate swordplay and internal energy.
    But the thing is, you CAN. Wasn't the whole concept of Dook Goo 9 Swords to allow people with huge inner power deficits to overcome even inner power monsters?

It seems to me that Yang Guo used HIS more as a club than a sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    But the thing is, you CAN. Wasn't the whole concept of Dook Goo 9 Swords to allow people with huge inner power deficits to overcome even inner power monsters?
    I think he means when comparing the quality of the swordsman overall. Some sword art techniques are based on the user's inner energy. So to not consider their energy when evaluating them, would be handicapping them. How do you compare HIS if you don't take into account the energy involved. It would just be beating someone over the head with a stick.

DG 9 Swords just seems heavily unfair because on paper it has no weakness except for the fallibility of the human body, where LHX couldn't see his opponent or his reactions were only fast enough to stay alive until gradually the 72 stances became repetitive and predictable. Then there's the crap about it getting stronger against stronger opponents. The only thing that made it work as a protagonist art is that it was used by a cripple who doesn't have a taste for killing. The weakness of the user balancing out the overpowered art.

Zhang Wuji can also see weaknesses in people's martial art.

I haven't read HSDS so I can't say. But 9 swords for one has no form, so it has its base covered there. It is all offensive so the user is rarely in danger. And what's most BS is that it scales in power. The more powerful the enemy, the more powerful it becomes. If that's the case then it's "power level" is a moot notion and too arbitrary to be useful as word.

Then there's the stabbing 30 eyes almost instantaneously without any internal energy.
    Granted my scope of wuxia is limited, but the way this is made out, it was made to be unbeatable. Maybe if you poisoned LHX. Hey yeah, There's no poison breaking stance. HAhahahaha

Zhang Wuji saw and forgot the forms of Taichi sword; he is also formless.

If you can look at someone and recognize that they are a Taichi practitioner or a DG9J practitioner, can they be said to be truly formless?
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

Depends on who's watching. Sword intent is still there and that can be recognized if the observer is high level. Besides, the way DG9J crushes the opponent's technique and the way TJJ emphasizes the circle are quite distinguishing.

HIS is pretty silly though as a "sword art". If I know nothing about swords, but just have deeper inner strength than you and we both swing and I crack your sword or knock it out of your hand, is my swordsmanship greater?

Honestly it doesn't even work. If you commit so much strength into any blow, it actually becomes easier to counter. Furthermore, such a heavy weapon also makes it easier to read the motions as well as limits agility especially as you close in range (and the HIS isn't a long sword in the first place).

The whole premise of the technique counts on you having more power and a better weapon than the opponent in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yep DJ9J is the exception and one which truly doesn't make sense. What makes it so fast? Surely the normal human body is not capable of such speed?

Without internal energy, can YG even lift the HIS?

Sure he can. It's only about a hundred pound. Far too heavy for a normal person to use as a weapon but not too heavy to pick up even with one arm for a strong normal person.