Thread: How good was Yu Daiyan?

Default How good was Yu Daiyan?

The third Wudang hero who was crippled at the beginning of HSDS. He matched palms with Ah San at the beginning, and was no worse (although Ah San's strength is in techniques, not palm strikes). He then had the better of a tussle against a young Yin Yewang. He was also the disciple that Zhang Sanfeng most trusted to complete his missions, for whatever reason. So how good was he really?

I guess we would never know as he was crippled for the most part of his role in HSDS

He was better than ZCS, but not as good as 2nd hero.

I guess he is better than Yin Yewang, given that Yin needed to use poison and hidden attacks to ensure victory.

Dont remember him clashing with Ah San.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    He was better than ZCS, but not as good as 2nd hero.

I guess he is better than Yin Yewang, given that Yin needed to use poison and hidden attacks to ensure victory.

Dont remember him clashing with Ah San.
    Yu Doi Nam and Cheung Chui San briefly double-teamed Ah 3 when they were struggling over possession of the Dragon Sabre.

It seemed like it required both Mo Dong Heroes to handle Ah 3, and it looked like a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yu Doi Nam and Cheung Chui San briefly double-teamed Ah 3 when they were struggling over possession of the Dragon Sabre.

It seemed like it required both Mo Dong Heroes to handle Ah 3, and it looked like a draw.
    I remember this happened in HSDS 86, but I dont remember it from the novel. But its a long time ago since I read HSDS
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    I remember this happened in HSDS 86, but I dont remember it from the novel. But its a long time ago since I read HSDS
    Early in HSDS, it seemed like Mongol mercenaries such as Ah Dai, Ah 2, and Ah 3 was each significantly more powerful than any individual Mo Dong Hero. Later in the story, though, it seemed like the more powerful heroes such as Yu Lin Chou and Sung Yeun Kiu had closed the gap with them somewhat.

If Ah 3 killed Kong Xing fair and square like he claimed, then they should all still be significantly above the Wudang heroes at all times. Ah 2 clashed palms with Wuji and it was pretty impressive that he lasted two or three blows of inner strength competition. Ah 3's Mighty Golden Finger also looked more powerful than anything the Wudang heroes had offensively. I'm assuming Ah Da is given his rank because he is better than the other two.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

he was one of the senior disciples and his skills were among the best before being crippled. he was famous for his palm skills. he matched palms with white eagle's son and should have won but was attacked in secret with poison needles. he only met the ah brothers when he was poisoned and they broke his limbs to get the location of the dragon saber from him. he never fought with them, in the novel. after he got back his mobility, his internal injuries were too advanced for him to fight with others, he could only practice taiji quan to keep his body healty.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

I remembered wrong. He didn't actually clash with Ah San, but exchanged words. Yu Daiyan correctly saw, 20 years before the truth was revealed, that Ah San's martial arts were like those of Shaolin, but slightly different. Then the old man starte lashing out with the sabre, and everyone exited the building.

Ah San, Ah Er, and Ah Da seem to be on the same level. In fact it's stated that Ah Er is stronger than Ah Da, but Ah Da is calmer, which presumably makes better fighter mentality. I think all things considered, they're on the exact same level.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Considering a sect is usually as strong as it's strongest martial artist (more or less), I'm surprised Western Shaolin isn't a huge force, with talents like them and whoever their master is. Besides Zhang Sanfeng and before Wuji entered the picture, they are likely stronger than everybody in the orthodox sects except unmentioned Shaolin elders.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

It's not Western Shaolin; it the Diamond Clan/School. Western Shaolin at the point of the emergence of Wudang, Western Shaolin monks only studied Buddhism and did not know martial arts.

PJ, I think you mean A Er was better than A San. A Er was observed by Wuji to lack the maneuverability of A San but was much more robust.
    A Da (Fang Dongbai)'s internal strength was equal to A Er. The three of them addressed each as brothers, so it could be that the three of them were sworn brothers. A San called Fang Dongbai and A Er as: 'Da Ge, Er Ge.'
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    PJ, I think you mean A Er was better than A San. A Er was observed by Wuji to lack the maneuverability of A San but was much more robust.
    You're right. Hard to remember the little details
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    You're right. Hard to remember the little details
    Meant no disrespect. I just have an affinity for some ELOCS, therefore I pay extra attention to them. Just like you.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)