View Poll Results: Does your personal distaste towards a person affect your judgment of his/her talent?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it does.

6 42.86%
  • No, it doesn't.

8 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you deny a person's talent because you dislike him/her personally?

Default Would you deny a person's talent because you dislike him/her personally?

Let's say there's a person you dislike intensely for personal reasons. You've had run ins with this person, dislike the way he/she behaves, or simply have irreconcilible differences of perspectives with this person. Yet this person clearly has talent and is very good at what he or she does. Does your dislike for the person cause you to refuse to acknowledge the quality of the person's work or his/her talent, or do you recognize the quality of work and talent anyway despite your personal distaste for the person?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Let's say there's a person you dislike intensely for personal reasons. You've had run ins with this person, dislike the way he/she behaves, or simply have irreconcilible differences of perspectives with this person. Yet this person clearly has talent and is very good at what he or she does. Does your dislike for the person cause you to refuse to acknowledge the quality of the person's work or his/her talent, or do you recognize the quality of work and talent anyway despite your personal distaste for the person?
    I definately would because I believe that a person that is is truly talented should have a good personality that goes along with it as well. I really despise hot shots that think they are great(even if they are)and look down on others just because they think they are talented or are better. I have ran into people like that and can't stand them at all.. This one girl(who had NO butt) thought she was better than me(I did not feel she was better since she was an FOB) always played me... Gosh, I hate people like that...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I definately would because I believe that a person that is is truly talented should have a good personality that goes along with it as well. I really despise hot shots that think they are great(even if they are)and look down on others just because they think they are talented or are better. I have ran into people like that and can't stand them at all.. This one girl(who had NO butt) thought she was better than me(I did not feel she was better since she was an FOB) always played me... Gosh, I hate people like that...
    I do something somewhat similar, but also somewhat different. If I dislike the person, but he/she is clearly talented, I might acknowledge the talent to *myself* (especially if I like the quality of the work), but I would not publicly praise the person or offer him/her personal praise.

The more I hate someone, the more I want to like him/her.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    The more I hate someone, the more I want to like him/her.
    Yeah, but you're WIERD*, PJ.

*intentionally misspelled.

people that i went to school with, i know how they really are, but at work they're very professional and gets their job done. i would go on to say that these people do their job better than the older folks that's been here. and yes, i do acknowledge them for it. we do an annual review on all the employees, including myself, and when asked to do an eval on another co-worker i tend to only keep my mind on the hours that i spend with them at work. if i was to talk about or consider adding my dislike for them from outside of the work they'd be fired by now. so in the real world you must learn how to seperate personal from professional opinions on a person. you wouldn't like it if one of your co-workers/supervisor was a friend of an ex and decided to give you a bad review would you?

Atually** it should be:

the more I hate someone, the more I like him/her****.

**intentionally mispelled***

***but for no reason.

****because love and hate are interchangeable.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I won't acknowledge it unless I'm specifically asked about it, in which case, I'm not going to lie.

However, I know a lot of intelligent/talented arrogant pricks and these are the types of people whom I hate to praise. Why give them an even bigger ego trip?

No. There's this someone I really dislike, but I marvel at her ability to sow discord and dig information to use against people. She's really good at that.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Atually** it should be:

the more I hate someone, the more I like him/her****.

**intentionally mispelled***

***but for no reason.

****because love and hate are interchangeable.
    *gasp* TC? lol j/k
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-06-09 at 10:31 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Personality and raw talent for a job/occupation/work do not have to be related. Ideally, everyone wants to work with someone who is both talented and has a great personality, but that won't always happen. If they have the talent for something, of course I'd acknowledge it, even if they have a crappy personality. I just won't be friends with them .

Trinie - no offense, but your post makes no sense.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    Personality and raw talent for a job/occupation/work do not have to be related. Ideally, everyone wants to work with someone who is both talented and has a great personality, but that won't always happen. If they have the talent for something, of course I'd acknowledge it, even if they have a crappy personality. I just won't be friends with them .

Trinie - no offense, but your post makes no sense.
    I just re read it and it makes sense to me... I guess as long as I understand it then it should not be too bad.... It seems to make sense to others though... I guess it was because I wrote it on an empty stomach.. I can't think clearly when I am really hungry....
    Last edited by Trinie; 11-07-09 at 12:39 AM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

It's really just the last part - I don't see how having no "butt" or being a "FOB" would somehow make her not better than you. She may have been a total ***** if she played you, but your ad hominems don't make it better.
    Last edited by xJadedx; 11-07-09 at 01:41 PM.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Agree with WenEr (#11) on the opinion that ability/talent and personality need not necessarily be related. I can accept and appreciate ability/talent even if it belongs to an unlikeable person ... so long as the person uses that ability/talent in the service and for the good of others.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

This question can be epitomized in 2 words: Kobe Bryant.

So, if she had a butt, you would be better than you?
    Why do people with talent have to have a good personality? They are mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by KJ; 11-07-09 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    Why do people with talent have to have a good personality? They are mutually exclusive.
    I think the question in topic is whether or not you publicly acknowledge individuals with talent but horrible personalities. You may recognize a person's talent but choose not to show it due to your disdain for him/her.

This one girl(who had NO butt) thought she was better than me(I did not feel she was better since she was an FOB) always played me... Gosh, I hate people like that...
    General bullsh!t female b!tchiness: degrading another female on her physical appearance and social status, thus claiming moral high ground - all checked.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Depends on the context. For example, if I am the boss and I know my employee is very competent in his duty but is also a selfish douche, will I give him the promotion next month? No. Because people are sentinel beings, which means we can't totally cut off from our emotions. How will people that work under him feel?
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

It depends more on whether that talent can help me or not.