Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want my own mountain!

So are you saying Guo Xiang and Z3F just took over the established temples and structures (not abandoned) and re-named them?

I can't really picture Z3F beating someone for the sake of gaining reputation but I see it happening unintentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    So are you saying Guo Xiang and Z3F just took over the established temples and structures (not abandoned) and re-named them?

I can't really picture Z3F beating someone for the sake of gaining reputation but I see it happening unintentionally.
    yes, i think the people who had taken care of the temples and structures on Wutang and Emei prior to Zsf's and Gx's arrivals were so impressed by Zhang's and Guo's martial arts, reputations, and vast knowledge of religions that they willingly let the structures pass into the hands of Zhang's and Guo's.

Of course it's not impossible. However, it seems to be the norm in wuxia with so many examples. It's not an easy thing to do. Remember these are people who started with NOTHING, no church, no product, no roof on top of their heads. They don't even have an establishment to start spreading their reputation.
    I think we have to remember that their abilities are superhuman, even to those who live in ancient times. Wanyan Honglie is completely amazed and in awe of casual displays of martial arts displayed by the 7 Freaks already. Imagine seeing an actual expert like Zhang Sanfeng; I'm pretty sure if I were rich I'd donate whatever it takes to let my son learn under his tutelage or just a chance for apprenticeship. If I were poor I'd also be willing to work day and night to have a chance at it. Kind of like how some people are willing to study 6+ hours a day for 10+ years among other things to get into top universities. Except a martial arts master can pretty much show he has the stuff by demonstrating something amazing, unlike a university that has to build it through years of reputation.

I actually think it'd be cake for anybody with greater than Qiu Chuji type skills (maybe even less!) to gather a large amount of followers and build a nice solid reputation and temple/school if that was their goal. Word travels pretty fast in a big town since a lot of people really have nothing to do but gossip all day while doing whatever manual labor they're doing. Some feats get exaggerated, people want to see if he's really as good as it is, watch him fly around with a couple hundred pounds in the blink of an eye, I imagine it's easy to attract followers if you have any people skills whatsoever.

There was that moment where ZSF wanted to make sure his legacy along with the Wudang reputation would last throughout the ages, so he does have some bouts of ego. He dismissed it a bit later, but this is the enlightened 100+ year old ZSF. Who knows if 50-70 years ago (whenever he became famous) he didn't have a bigger ego and decide he wants to show off his martial arts and gain fame for his style.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    There was that moment where ZSF wanted to make sure his legacy along with the Wudang reputation would last throughout the ages, so he does have some bouts of ego. He dismissed it a bit later, but this is the enlightened 100+ year old ZSF. Who knows if 50-70 years ago (whenever he became famous) he didn't have a bigger ego and decide he wants to show off his martial arts and gain fame for his style.
    His only concern is that Taji art would survive because he sees it as an important and new direction in martial arts. The fact that the whole wudan (buildings + people) would be wiped out was a 2nd degree concern.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    His only concern is that Taji art would survive because he sees it as an important and new direction in martial arts. The fact that the whole wudan (buildings + people) would be wiped out was a 2nd degree concern.
    Nah there was a second where he was thinking of Wudang and his own reputation, he dismissed it shortly after though. But that was just to prove he had a slight ego, even at 100+ years. It just means hes likely to have had some sort of ego at age 40 or 50 when he wasn't as enlightened.

Cheung Gwun Bo/Cheung 3 Fung was only reason, so it stands to reason that he must have some ego. That said, judging from his temperament and conduct at both ends of his life, it is unlikely that he was, at any point of his life, a man *ruled* by ego. As a boy of thirteen/sixteen, he was exceedingly humble and maybe even meek, and as an elder and clear "North Star" of wulin, he was the avatar of unaffected, accomplished modesty. It would be a strange trajectory of character development that would have sent him on an egotistical bent in his "middle" years.

In other words: I don't buy it.

I'm sure there are many behind the scenes people and even corporate or governmental sponsors. It would have been in government interest to get support of well known MA as the schools would be great training grounds for defense and military leadership. Maybe funds also came in the form of exemption from taxes?

It would be likely that GX and Z3F did some kind of rent to own program with the existing temples.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    I'm sure there are many behind the scenes people and even corporate or governmental sponsors. It would have been in government interest to get support of well known MA as the schools would be great training grounds for defense and military leadership. Maybe funds also came in the form of exemption from taxes?
    Not during the Yuan Dynasty, though. Chinese wulin was openly hostile to what they saw as a foreign regime ruling over the Chinese homeland, and the Yuan government wanted nothing less than to eradicate Chinese wulin...or recruit its most powerful exponents into their own service.

In fact, it's a wonder that after the Mongol forces finally overcame Gwok Jing and his allies at Seung Yeung, they didn't go on to eviscerate Chinese wulin in general. Instead, somehow, Chinese wulin prospered during the Mongol occupation...with a number of new sects rising to power and at least one old one (Shaolin) returning to prominence after a century of relative weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Back in ancient society, martial art is very very important, if not the most important. Great Martial Art = Wealth + Power + Fame +..... If you are a Great Xia, you can be anything and do anything you want. There are ton and ton of rich kids want to be your students and willing to give you whatever you need/want.
    Ok… I think you are mixing up fiction with reality. That’s why I asked if you meant in fictional China. Great martial arts do not mean great wealth and power… Maybe if said person accomplished something on the battlefield and was awarded handsomely.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner