Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Gwok Fu Glorification Thread

Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    lol. I think it will be OT and banned immediately
    It won't be banned if it's in the Off Topic section.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Ok. GF is smart (alecky), pretty (evil), and she's a winner (forcefully)
    She's smoking hot! TC would surely agree with me on that point.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

where to begin...i don't know...there was so many post in the time i wasn't here...

things i wanted to argue on had been argued...but I would like to point out, GF was not heartless. Although I don't agree with the way she handled the brothers, but in her own way she did not want to hurt them and enjoyed their company. I can quote this from the book if I have too!

Quick question, did people here, read the novel first or watched the series first? and which series did you watch first?

As I've mentioned very early in this thread, I had in fact watched the 1995 version first and found her quite charming, although a brat, but not hateful, but hated her guts in the 1985 version and in all the other versions too. So my perception of her was not a negative one to start with, and when I read the novel after the 1995 version, I still had the same feelings for her. Not liked, but not disliked either, more of an understanding for her character and her faults.

Guo Xiang, i've never particularly liked, because she never played that big a character to me and the times she was present in the novels she FELT like a third wheel who wanted to steal YG from XLN.

AND XLN is a goddess...so yeah.

PS: Please note the CAPITAL letter, this is a personal opinion and is therefore not something I could prove...so don't bother trying to argue with me!

I seem to be fighting a one person fight here...
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post

This happens when you are defending a highly unpopular character.

Your efforts are much appreciated though.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    This happens when you are defending a highly unpopular character.
    I find that highly admirable.

After all, how much courage and creativity does it take to defend a *popular* character?

As I've mentioned very early in this thread, I had in fact watched the 1995 version first and found her quite charming, although a brat, but not hateful, but hated her guts in the 1985 version and in all the other versions too. So my perception of her was not a negative one to start with, and when I read the novel after the 1995 version, I still had the same feelings for her. Not liked, but not disliked either, more of an understanding for her character and her faults.
    Yes, the 1995 version did pay her in a more agreeable light. That's why I don't have great dislike for her either. My first impression of her was from 1995. I watch 1985 first when I was kid, but, don't remember much about it except a few scenes.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Yes, the 1995 version did pay her in a more agreeable light. That's why I don't have great dislike for her either. My first impression of her was from 1995. I watch 1985 first when I was kid, but, don't remember much about it except a few scenes.
    1983's TVB adaptation of ROCH also greatly humanized the character. In some ways, the television adaptations have depicted more well-rounded Gwok Fus than did Jin Yong.

where to begin...i don't know...there was so many post in the time i wasn't here...

things i wanted to argue on had been argued...but I would like to point out, GF was not heartless. Although I don't agree with the way she handled the brothers, but in her own way she did not want to hurt them and enjoyed their company. I can quote this from the book if I have too!

Quick question, did people here, read the novel first or watched the series first? and which series did you watch first?

Guo Xiang, i've never particularly liked, because she never played that big a character to me and the times she was present in the novels she FELT like a third wheel who wanted to steal YG from XLN.

PS: Please note the CAPITAL letter, this is a personal opinion and is therefore not something I could prove...so don't bother trying to argue with me!

I watched the series first, the Andy Lau one. I only read the novel a couple of years ago when it was being translated here (my chinese isn't good enough to read JY books, GL no prob, JY I have to rely on dictionary heavily ).

And yes, she was just as irritating (PJ, she isn't evil; just hateful) in the novel (and Guo Xiang / remember_Cedric, I absolutely do not find her hot in the Andy Lau version )
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

I watched the series first, the Andy Lau one. I only read the novel a couple of years ago when it was being translated here (my chinese isn't good enough to read JY books, GL no prob, JY I have to rely on dictionary heavily ).

And yes, she was just as irritating (PJ, she isn't evil; just hateful) in the novel (and Guo Xiang / remember_Cedric, I absolutely do not find her hot in the Andy Lau version )
    Erm okay. Watch the LYF version then.

She's played by a beautiful actress in 1995 version.

Beautiful Guo Fu.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5236&stc=1&d=126337144 9')
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kidd; 01-13-10 at 04:31 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I watched the Andy and Idy's version first, followed by Louis and Carmen's (in my collection of DVD) and the Singapore series (impossible crap despite that, some actors/actresses fit the bill). I never read the novel. Instead, I read the manga illustrated by Wee Tian Beng 黄展鸣.

If my memory serves me, we have a XLN unglorification thread somewhere. (Or, it is XLN bashing thread ?) Which was a hot thread, not so long ago.

I should post a similar PS at times needed. This is a good idea to put forward a message.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

kidd: yes that's her, and I absolutely stand by my view that she isn't hot (83' version)

As for the 95' version GF, I have always associated her face with Lam Sin Yee (the ****) of Dagger Li
    Last edited by athlee; 01-13-10 at 04:44 AM.

Athlee, I concur with you on the other versions of GF except the 1995 TVB version and the Singapore series's portrayed by Florence Tan. Both possess that sassy look. The 2005 CCTV's version of GF looks wicked. I don't think GF is hot, just sassy pretty class.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I must have missed something, there was a XLN bashing thread and I missed that? A gathering of like-minded people engaging in bashing XLN and I actually missed that, sigh

I must have missed something, there was a XLN bashing thread and I missed that? A gathering of like-minded people engaging in bashing XLN and I actually missed that, sigh
    Here.

It's a two-fer that Little Dragon Girl shares with Yeung Gor...which I suppose is apropos for these two icons of ick.

As for Gwok Fu and sadism, well...if things read in posts are to be believed, there are members here within our own community who could give any wuxia character a run for her/his money in that department.

lol, that thread is really something else. But I don't have much to add other than my speculation that YG's a 30 something virgin whose favourite food is Old Lotus Root and Slipper Rice while XLN is a cradle robbing Ice B***h

woah, a XLN bashing thread? I like XLN actually. What really got on my nerves was YG.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    She's played by a beautiful actress in 1995 version.

Beautiful Guo Fu.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5236&stc=1&d=126337144 9')
    The 1995 version is more innocent than [__insert Guo Fu bad habits __]. Definitely a divergence.

The 2005 version looks PERFECT. Pretty much how I'd imagine her.
    (kinda looks like Su Daji from the old CCTV Fengshen Bang).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Ken, that's very unnecessary.
    I snickered at Ken's commentary. It's so true.... sadly.

Still, Guo Fu > Asian Driver in causing harm.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Default The People vs. Guo Fu

Quote Originally Posted by athlee
    In what way was GF sadistic? I would agree on points 2,3 and probably 4 (is disdainful a personality trait?), but I can't think of any part of the novel which would depict her as sadistic as an adult (minus the one incident with the insects/birds/beasts when she was before or about 7, these acts were never repeated to my memory).
    I think it's fair to say she continues to display a sadistic edge long after that passage. There are a fair few moments where she is clearly rather pleased at the harm she's caused. Minor ones include taunting Yang Guo in Chapter 24 by casting aspersions on Xiaolongnu's behaviour (Jinyong describes GF as being "delighted" by YG's reaction), and enjoying injuring Lu Wushuang in Chapter 31: "Guo Fu raised her sword. Seeing the blade streaked with blood, she knew Lu Wushuang had been wounded on the leg. Pleased, she pointed at her..."

Those aren't a big deal compared to what she does in Chapter 35. Having started a fight - which stops when Guo Xiang arrives and tells her that those she's fighting with are "friends", prompting Shi Mengjie to withdraw - the following happens:

"Guo Fu knew very well that her opponent had given way, but the fight had made her feel angry. With a vicious thrust of her sword, she stabbed Shi Mengjie in the chest. Big Head started in shock, shouting: 'Hey! Why...' Guo Fu's sword glinted coldly as she spun around and carved a long, long wound into Big Head's arm. She was secretly pleased..."
    The injury to Shi is not trivial; he "collapses", his wound "spurting blood". Those watching are appalled by GF's "brutality" and point out that her attack could've been fatal if it was a couple of inches lower.

Later in Chapter 35, GF follows up this physical bullying with some psychological bullying - of her own little sister. Arriving back at Xiangyang, she attempts to get Guo Xiang into hot water with their parents by saying she's caused "big trouble" (and deliberately "spicing up" her tale of what's happened). Afterwards, hearing Guo Xiang fret that her 16th birthday falls unfortunately on the date of the Heroes' Banquet, she mocks her:

"'What's so important about your birthday, you baby?...Don't make me laugh my teeth off. I'm afraid you might be the only person in the world who remembers that rubbish.'...Guo Xiang was on the verge of crying from her sister's taunting." (GF continues to laugh at her, even though she's clearly tearing up. Eventually, GX can't take any more and runs away.)
    Note that, at this point, GX was just 15 years old, while GF was a c.35-year-old married woman with considerable status both inside wulin and outside (YG describes her as "The Princess of Xiangyang"). What do you think JY is trying to tell you about GF's character?

-

The issue of whether you first encounter GF in a TV adaptation or on paper is very pertinent. On TV, it's easy to relate to her as a 'real person' and make excuses for her. On paper, she's indefensible. The problem is when people superimpose their 'TV impression' of GF onto what JY actually wrote.

I think people are also allowing themselves to be fooled by the fact that GF happens to be the daughter of Saint Guo Jing, and on the side of the 'goodies'. In Shen Diao, nobody harms the hero & heroine more than her, nobody is portrayed with such consistent lack of sympathy, and nobody takes longer than her to repent. Think about it. What is JY really trying to tell you? Do you need a character to have a scary moustache, an evil laugh and plans to take over the world before you understand that they're basically a villain?
    Last edited by owbjhx; 01-13-10 at 12:50 PM.

The problem with GF is that she inherited the worst possible genes from both her parents and none of the good ones (GX is the opposite of course). On top of that, she's the first born and was completely spoiled to a point of no return. Who do we blame for how she turned out? Her parents, of course, but GF should also bear all the blame for all the crap she did as an adult. My only beef with this is that JY must really dislike GJ & HR and want to punish them by giving them such a horrible daughter! I mean, how can two great people produce such garbage?? YG is a son of a traitor and yet everyone loves him and he can't do no wrong in some people's eyes.