Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ...wuxia characters that don't get any love...

Now - as much as I'm annoyed by YG, XLN and their boring romance (I do dislike them almost with a passion, I admit), I'd like to defend ZZB, Guo Fu - or ROCH Huang Rong and Guo Jing and QZ sect for that matter - from being reduced merely to a means of busting XLN/YG appeal.

All these are interesting characters in their own right.
    Sure one of their primary functions in the story is to somehow interfere with the central romance. But it's not like JY absolutely had to tarnish shining reputations of QZ or Guo family to boost XLN and YG's appeal. If the story worked with a totally new set of characters, I believe it would work out just as well (or badly, depends on your tastes). A perfect couple facing adversities from without (fate, family, society, bad people, chance and bad luck, you name it) is a scheme as old as romance itself - and it has always been able to find its audience.

But it's always been my impression that in writing stumbling blocks for YG and XLN to overcome, JY created some of the most interesting and/or engaging characters of ROCH. Huang Rong of ROCH is an awesome character and that I quite dig the whole QZ bunch is no sercet I suppose. I'm quite fond of Li Mo Chou as well.
    And as for the whole "sharing a secret & bound by mutual hate" thing between Zhen Zhibing and Zhao Zhijing - gee, I wish JY (or anyone else) wrote a whole novel about THAT.
    Last edited by Cesare; 11-15-09 at 06:54 PM.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Im having serious trouble reading about Ding Dang from OTG. Really hate her and almost threw my book in the ocean (was reading on the beach).
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

I love Dingdang, she is such a hot, smart and naughty girl, further, it seems she is also into bdsm.

Quote Originally Posted by forgot password View Post
    I love Dingdang, she is such a hot, smart and naughty girl, further, it seems she is also into bdsm.
    you poor thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    a) Do you happen to like a character who's pretty much universally disliked in the 'fandom'? Or do you merely think that this or that girl or guy gets more bashing/more bad rep than they deserve? Or do you think they're bashed for wrong reasons?

b) Wanted to reply to this...;-)...:

Poor Zhen Zhibing (or Yin Zhiping if you prefer)...

Now, seriously - I really fail to understand why this particular character is hated with so much passion. He does 2 things horribly wrong - he RAPED XLN and takes too damn long to gather up the courage to directly face the consequences; but he does repent and he does pay the ultimate price in the end (and is overall actually a fairly nice guy). There are far worse bastards in ROCH, let alone in wuxia.

I see why he doesn't have a crowd of fans (unless a hot hunk plays the role, that is) - but why all the bashing?
    Is it because he's weak rather than evil to the core - given that weakness is not exactly cool compared to badassness? Or because his inappropriate conduct complicates the boring central romance enough to make it mildly interesting?
    there I fixed your comment

Quote Originally Posted by Shi-Potian View Post
    there I fixed your comment
    Whatever.
    Not like it changes anything...
    Last edited by Cesare; 11-16-09 at 01:46 PM.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

the second teacher of Gu Ching and last one the maiden are underappreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    Im having serious trouble reading about Ding Dang from OTG. Really hate her and almost threw my book in the ocean (was reading on the beach).
    She is my 2nd most hated female character. She'd be the most hated if not for Guo Fu.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Xingxoxo View Post
    the second teacher of Gu Ching and last one the maiden are underappreciated.
    I would say that the 7 Freaks as a group are underappreciated, although I wouldn't put them in the "get no love" category just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    She is my 2nd most hated female character. She'd be the most hated if not for Guo Fu.
    GF acted like a spoiled brat all along, you know what you get, although the act of chopping of YG's arm was cruel. Ding Dang was cute and funny, but then the REAL BASTARD came along and we suddenly realized why she acted like she did. You must agree that her reason for loving the REAL BASTARD is stupid and is an offense to women?

Me too. I love her so much in "Ode to Gallantry (Hap Hak Hang), Hiep Khach Giang Ho". She is played by Sheren Tang. SHe paired up so well with Tony Leung. AnhHung, why do you hate her??

I like the Ding Dang character also.

She's fun...

Her preference is for the sleezy twin instead of Shi Potian.... but that just makes her very human... of a very different taste from the normal heroine types in Wuxia.

She's better than say... Wu Nancy who fell in love with Yang Kang... who is not to her taste or ideal at all... just a handsome face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahoxan View Post

Her preference is for the sleezy twin instead of Shi Potian.... but that just makes her very human... of a very different taste from the normal heroine types in Wuxia.
    I agree.

I haven't read the book itself, but it's not too far from the truth. Some women have done crazy things for their men, who are less than decent blokes. Some women even "love" serial killers.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Me too. I love her so much in "Ode to Gallantry (Hap Hak Hang), Hiep Khach Giang Ho". She is played by Sheren Tang. SHe paired up so well with Tony Leung. AnhHung, why do you hate her??
    The character Ding Dang in OTG adaptations and the character Ding Dang in the novel are completely different.

In the novel, she loves THE REAL BASTARD because of his sweet talk. She doesnt care that he is fooling around or lies to her. She KNOWS that he has other girls, she knows that he lies to her, BUT she accept it because he is a sweet talker. And the strange thing is that she knows that he is a sweet talker and that is actually what she loves about him.

But the thing that tip me over to hate, is that she killed SPT's maid. The maid is a really sweet and caring girl that has been a victim of THE REAL BASTARD's harassment. And after a long period where she finnally begin to trust SPT and starts to genuinly care for SPT (at this time SPT really desserve and ned), the ***** goes and kills her because she is jealuos! She thinks the maid is fooling around with her BASTARD. But instead of confronting this to him, she goes and kills her. That is her way of solving the problem.

That is way I hate her the most. She is a real candidate for the Ricky Lake show etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I agree.

I haven't read the book itself, but it's not too far from the truth. Some women have done crazy things for their men, who are less than decent blokes. Some women even "love" serial killers.
    Dont mind that she prefer THE REAL BASTARD, the same way that I dont mind Mu Nunci love Yang Kang. But her reason and conduct bother me to the bone.

don't make things up AnhHung,
    Ding dang did not kill Shi jian out of jealousy whatsoever, but simply because Shi jian tried (but failed) to bust her scheme of luring Shi potian into replacing Shi zhongyu as the soon to be punished culprit. she might be ruthless but is smart, hot, and very faithful to her love, obviously way more interesting than say a dumb boring bytch like Xln or Wang yuyan.

I think this is more of a this forums extraordinary focus on Jin Yong's DSGD, ROCH, LOCH, and HSDS so I think the characters that don't get much love/hate:

- 10 Evils from Valley of Evil (Legendary Siblings)
    - YY and LX (two princesses)
    - Tian Bagong and Peach Fairies (SPW)
    - People of Ming Sect (all very colorful)
    - Does Ghengis Khan qualify as a wuxia character?

I want to list some from Step into the Past but worried about spoilers as this is currently ongoing translation.

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    You must agree that her reason for loving the REAL BASTARD is stupid and is an offense to women?
    You mean she didn't mind that her boyfriend Shi Zhongyu is a rapist? Yeah, it's pretty stupid, but sadly, some women are like that.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    - 10 Evils from Valley of Evil (Legendary Siblings)
    - YY and LX (two princesses)
    - Tian Bagong and Peach Fairies (SPW)
    - People of Ming Sect (all very colorful)
    - Does Ghengis Khan qualify as a wuxia character?
    I like the Ming Sect people, especially their 1986 TV series versions.

I also enjoy reading almost all the arguments that the Six Peach Fairies have. Not sure if it's the translation as much as the arguments themselves (I read the Indonesian translation).

don't make things up AnhHung,
    Ding dang did not kill Shi jian out of jealousy whatsoever, but simply because Shi jian tried (but failed) to bust her scheme of luring Shi potian into replacing Shi zhongyu as the soon to be punished culprit. she might be ruthless but is smart, hot, and very faithful to her love, obviously way more interesting than say a dumb boring bytch like Xln or Wang yuyan.
    You might be right about the killing of Shi Jian.

You are right that she is more interesting than XLN or WYY, but I still hate her the most.