Thread: Who is the most "human" of Jin Yong's protagonists?

Default Who is the most "human" of Jin Yong's protagonists?

You have Zhang Wuji, who was indecisive and inexperienced.

How about Yang Guo, who was a true rebel.

And Xiao Feng, who could not choose between 2 choices in the end.

Or Linghu Chong, who enjoyed the freedom of life.

Not forgetting Wei Xiaobao, the honorable friend, crook, and rapist.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Linghu Chong. (I wouldn't call him really carefree though)

The other guys were too 'heroic' (GJ, XF), too lovey-dovey (YG) and too peacenik (ZWJ). LHC seems the most 'human' to me.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I would say Xu Zhu. For a mild mannered person with a strict conduct code. He was fallible when he's put through suffering. And he feels remorse about all the rules he breaks, if you mean human as in fallible, Xu Zhu is probably the one that suffered the biggest fall from grace.

Though Wei Xiao Bao is ultimately rather selfish and that is one of the most human traits. He wasn't made to conform to ideals like the other protagonists were.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

How about Yang Guo, who was a true rebel.
    ...without a cause or a clue.

James Dean did it *way* better.

Zhang Wuji.

He's very "human". A lot of readers can easily relate to him. There's not much Xiao Feng or Guo Jing types of people that you can find easily.

He's extremely kind-hearted as well, so he's definitely "human".
    ..ext88

Yang Go .... very not normal. no one will wait decades for someone, too overexaggerated so not very human.

Gu Ching ..... maybe normal for people in that period, too scrict to tradition and standard codes of ethics

Chang BuCi ....... not too normal nobody is kind after parents murdered

I think the most normal is the little kid in Duke of Mount Deer

Well, they are all “human.” If you mean with faults and emotions like a typical person, then it’s really everyone except the folks who are brainwashed by Confucian teachings and all the “wisdom” of the sages.

There are two general types of “xias.” The “ru xia,” the kind that was spoon fed “principles” and “propriety” and “honor” etc. etc. and lives trying to uphold these teachings. Then there’s the “kuang xia” who do things that they feel right. The latter type (e.g. YG, LHC, XF) are the “truer” humans in that they do what they naturally feel, rather than go by the book or refer to what society deems right.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

I don't think this has anything to do with whether you follow your own principles or principles set by ancestors or wise sages or society or whether you act according to what's writ' on the milkboxes or whatever.

You've got fictional characters who try very hard to "go by the book" and yet are 100x more 3D (and "human") than some of the popular fictional rebels. Individualistic and "more human" are IMHO not exactly synonyms...
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Books are written by humans. Society is composed by the rules of humans and the laws and rules of society are dictated by humans. What is written by humans can be rewritten by other humans. To live according solely to oneself or to live according to other humans are both human ways of life. Indeed, all actions are human, for if they were not human, then why do humans commit them?

Ponder now upon the Nameless.
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

Why did you even bother making such a pointless post.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    There are two general types of “xias.” The “ru xia,” the kind that was spoon fed “principles” and “propriety” and “honor” etc. etc. and lives trying to uphold these teachings. Then there’s the “kuang xia” who do things that they feel right. The latter type (e.g. YG, LHC, XF) are the “truer” humans in that they do what they naturally feel, rather than go by the book or refer to what society deems right.
    I don't know YG, LHC XF ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    I don't think this has anything to do with whether you follow your own principles or principles set by ancestors or wise sages or society or whether you act according to what's writ' on the milkboxes or whatever.

You've got fictional characters who try very hard to "go by the book" and yet are 100x more 3D (and "human") than some of the popular fictional rebels. Individualistic and "more human" are IMHO not exactly synonyms...
    "Human" is a subjective term. If you use the objective definition -- i.e. those who belong to the homo sapiens species, then every single character is human.

Since we use the subjective term, then each person has a different definition.

My definition of "human" is that it's natural. I.e., YG and LHC do what they do because the action is what they are naturally compelled to do (most of the time). Whereas a dude like GJ would go against his instinct and do something just cuz someone else says it's the right thing -- e.g. the arranged marriage fiasco.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Foregoing the standard definitions of righteousness, I think the most "human" protagonist is WXB, while he may not be most "humane".

He acts out of self-preservation, is fiercely protective of friends, and understands the value of money in society.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    Foregoing the standard definitions of righteousness, I think the most "human" protagonist is WXB, while he may not be most "humane".

He acts out of self-preservation, is fiercely protective of friends, and understands the value of money in society.
    I would say WXB too since he has all of the typical traits that humans have. I must say that he is a great friend to have...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I would say WXB too since he has all of the typical traits that humans have. I must say that he is a great friend to have...
    That he have a lot of typical traits that humans have, doesnt mean that is a normal person. I consider him too extreme, but the opposite what XF and GJ.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?