+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: pacquiao vs cotto

  1. #1
    Senior Member LuNaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    a place full of raymond fan, HELP!
    Posts
    6,567

    Default pacquiao vs cotto

    what did u guys think about the match?

    even though manny won, i have great respect for cotto for fighting it out to the last round, even though he was running for most of the 2nd half.
    SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS 2010 and 2012 CHAMPS

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    4 seasons in 1 day
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Cotto has some sick footwork and head movement. Both of them have crisp sharp jabs. The only time Cotto seems to hit is with jabs here and there, then that uppercut that goes between Pac Man's guard and sends his head flying back, but it didn't do much. Great fight, crazy howPac Man knocked him down unexpected twice.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Home sweet home
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    I admit I had my doubts for this fight because Cotto is by far the toughest challenge for Pacquiao. After the fight however, I have no more doubts in my mind I know Pacquiao will beat Mayweather and claim his spot as the best boxer of his era. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Mayweather ducks Pac after watching the fight.

  4. #4
    Member JoeLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Great fight...I've been watching cotto since he busted up malanagi and a huge fan...but just couldnt cheer against a fellow asian. Insane how pacmans power just keeps goin up with weight class...he's noticiably slower @ 144 however...but he just took out a top 5 welter weight in ways that margarito (with his casted hands ) could only dream of.


    I dont think mayweather is goin 2 duck pacquaio....he loves these big reward low risk fights...as long as pacman dosent ask for a ridiculous cut, this fight will happen sooner or later. I would be surprised if the pac/cotto fight does not break a million buys and beat the mayweather/marquez ppv numbers....so i dont think mayweather will have much 2 leverage pacquaio with anyways.

    I know everyone is going pacquiao crazy atm....myself included. But the truth is if they fight @ 147 and not a catch weight like with cotto, mayweather is the favorite regardless of those ridiculous vegas odds out at the moment. Mayweather is a natural welterweight and has been fighting in the weight class for 5 (?) years. He is naturally the bigger guy and arguably more skillful. I honesty believe that a true welterweight who is bigger than Mayweather has better chance in beating Mayweather. Mayweather talks alot of trash but he is scared to fight the best in his weight class. That's why I believe that he will gladly take this pacquiao fight but continue 2 duck williams and moesly...the two guys @ 147 who legitamatley have a chance of beating him.

  5. #5
    Senior Member LuNaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    a place full of raymond fan, HELP!
    Posts
    6,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangs View Post
    I admit I had my doubts for this fight because Cotto is by far the toughest challenge for Pacquiao. After the fight however, I have no more doubts in my mind I know Pacquiao will beat Mayweather and claim his spot as the best boxer of his era. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Mayweather ducks Pac after watching the fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    Great fight...I've been watching cotto since he busted up malanagi and a huge fan...but just couldnt cheer against a fellow asian. Insane how pacmans power just keeps goin up with weight class...he's noticiably slower @ 144 however...but he just took out a top 5 welter weight in ways that margarito (with his casted hands ) could only dream of.


    I dont think mayweather is goin 2 duck pacquaio....he loves these big reward low risk fights...as long as pacman dosent ask for a ridiculous cut, this fight will happen sooner or later. I would be surprised if the pac/cotto fight does not break a million buys and beat the mayweather/marquez ppv numbers....so i dont think mayweather will have much 2 leverage pacquaio with anyways.

    I know everyone is going pacquiao crazy atm....myself included. But the truth is if they fight @ 147 and not a catch weight like with cotto, mayweather is the favorite regardless of those ridiculous vegas odds out at the moment. Mayweather is a natural welterweight and has been fighting in the weight class for 5 (?) years. He is naturally the bigger guy and arguably more skillful. I honesty believe that a true welterweight who is bigger than Mayweather has better chance in beating Mayweather. Mayweather talks alot of trash but he is scared to fight the best in his weight class. That's why I believe that he will gladly take this pacquiao fight but continue 2 duck williams and moesly...the two guys @ 147 who legitamatley have a chance of beating him.
    well mayweather is always in for the money. i bet if he has 70/30 on the pay, he'll definitely fight pacquiao, but as of right now, no way he deserves 70/30, even 60/40 is cutting it

    it is true williams and mossly have a chance at beating mayweather, but marquez was dominated by mayweather and i actually had marquez above both williams and mossly before the fight, so i think mayweather is still way superior for those 2.

    main point: we need a pacquiao mayweather fight
    SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS 2010 and 2012 CHAMPS

  6. #6
    Member JoeLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    156

    Default

    arrgghh....that's the problem...right now reading that roach is expecting more than 50-50 as the early prediction ppv numbers are around 1.3-1.5 million buys and better than mayweather's numbers. Mayweather refuses to even go 50-50. Somebody has to budge and i'm afraid neither will. Pacquiao is a pretty hard negotiator, I think the split for him and cotto was like 65-35 and cotto has a huge purto rican following....


    na...marquez had absoluetly no chance against mayweather. That's why mayweather picked him, he was a guranteed win with but he has a huge name and pretty big mexican following. Plus he had 2 wars with pacquiao and alot of people believe that marquez won both those fights..so mayweather picked marquez partly because he could talk shite about pacquaio after. Marquez made his career fighting @ 126-130. He had only fought twice at 135, and although he beat both casamayour and diaz, they were very tough fights for him. He has no buisness being in the ring with a welterweight, let alone a welterweight who most people consider either the p4p number 1 or 2 in the world....marquez looked sluggish and slow in the fight and it was pretty obvious that he lacks the power @ that weight class to do any damage. Didn't help that mayweather completely blew off the contracted weight of 144 and came in @ 146....didnt even try 2 make the cut...absolute b.s. considering the size disparity between the two was already pretty big 2 begin with. That fight was a complete joke and nothing more than a sham to build up mayweathers reputation. The welterweight class is arguably the deepest weight class in boxing at the moment, and when mayweather came back he could have fought cotto,berto,moesly,clottey,williams (margarito out wit suspension), heck even collazo or cintron could have made a more compeititive match. But the guy, as usual..ducks the best compeition...not saying that mayweather can't beat these guys...but if he's going 2 call himself the g.o.a.t he has to prove himself @ his own weight class. Williams and Moesly pose far bigger threats to mayweather, and it's not a big surprise that mayweather has made up excuses when people ask him to fight these guys...especially moesly who mayweather seems terrified of and pulls up all sorts of b.s. excuses on why he's not taking the fight.

    ya...totally agree...we'll just have 2 wait and see. It looks like pacman may already be looking ahead to winner of moesly and berto...like a true champ...he wants 2 fight the best. I hope moesly is still in top form....the guy's already what? 39?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Home sweet home
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Mayweather is a gifted boxer, no one can deny his skills in the ring. But until he proves himself against the true competitions, he will always be just a very good boxer. The only reason why I don't see him winning against Pac is because PBF does not hit hard enough to hurt Pac. If he could survive Pac's onslaught for 12 rounds and get enough points then he has a chance but that is unlikely. Pac has faster speed than Mayweather, he'll outpunch him and outwork him if they fight. I predict a UD win for Pac, I'll be surprised if he knocks Mayweather out because Mayweather never engages and Pac wouldn't be able to get a KO punch in.

  8. #8
    Senior Member LuNaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    a place full of raymond fan, HELP!
    Posts
    6,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangs View Post
    Mayweather is a gifted boxer, no one can deny his skills in the ring. But until he proves himself against the true competitions, he will always be just a very good boxer. The only reason why I don't see him winning against Pac is because PBF does not hit hard enough to hurt Pac. If he could survive Pac's onslaught for 12 rounds and get enough points then he has a chance but that is unlikely. Pac has faster speed than Mayweather, he'll outpunch him and outwork him if they fight. I predict a UD win for Pac, I'll be surprised if he knocks Mayweather out because Mayweather never engages and Pac wouldn't be able to get a KO punch in.
    but mayweather's specialty is blocking/dodging all the punches and getting more punches in than his opponent, thus winning by UD
    SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS 2010 and 2012 CHAMPS

  9. #9
    Member JoeLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    156

    Default

    ya...pressure pressure pressure...that the gameplan to beat floyd. Jose Louis Castillo pretty much setup the blue print..and imo he won their first fight. Put floyd against the ropes, pressure him...go 2 the body..

    Dela Hoya was winning the fight with a similar style of forcing floyd 2 ropes and flurrying..he would have won had he continued to jab. Hatton was also doing pretty good 2 by tryin to bully floyd against the ropes and rough house him. I actually had hatton winning up until rd 6 until floyd figured him out.

    Floyd's biggest asset is his brain. Him and hopkins are probably the two smartest fighters in boxing atm..they adjust to the fighter. What pac has goin for him is roach, who already has a game plan and seems extremely confident in pacman winning. He's been right the last couple of fights...soo..just goin 2 keep my fingers crossed.

    Regarding floyd's power...he has enough to keep manny off of him. Manny better suited for jr.welterweight. Look @ what cotto did to manny's face and ear..and cotto is not a one punch KO fighter. He a body puncher that wears out the other guy before KOing them.

    Floyd not a volume puncher and he actually rarely uses his jab or outpunch's his opponents...especially since moving up 2 welterweight where he has pretty much become a counter puncher.

    anywho..floyd already talkin shite about how manny's 1.25m buys not a big deal cus he had cotto. AGAIN he's contradicting himself cus he was saying that marquez was a big draw and that's why he was fighting him or moesly..(B.S at it's finest)..I hope they just agree 2 go 50-50 and manny finds a way to KO this loud mouth....

  10. #10
    Senior Member LuNaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    a place full of raymond fan, HELP!
    Posts
    6,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    ya...pressure pressure pressure...that the gameplan to beat floyd. Jose Louis Castillo pretty much setup the blue print..and imo he won their first fight. Put floyd against the ropes, pressure him...go 2 the body..

    Dela Hoya was winning the fight with a similar style of forcing floyd 2 ropes and flurrying..he would have won had he continued to jab. Hatton was also doing pretty good 2 by tryin to bully floyd against the ropes and rough house him. I actually had hatton winning up until rd 6 until floyd figured him out.

    Floyd's biggest asset is his brain. Him and hopkins are probably the two smartest fighters in boxing atm..they adjust to the fighter. What pac has goin for him is roach, who already has a game plan and seems extremely confident in pacman winning. He's been right the last couple of fights...soo..just goin 2 keep my fingers crossed.

    Regarding floyd's power...he has enough to keep manny off of him. Manny better suited for jr.welterweight. Look @ what cotto did to manny's face and ear..and cotto is not a one punch KO fighter. He a body puncher that wears out the other guy before KOing them.

    Floyd not a volume puncher and he actually rarely uses his jab or outpunch's his opponents...especially since moving up 2 welterweight where he has pretty much become a counter puncher.

    anywho..floyd already talkin shite about how manny's 1.25m buys not a big deal cus he had cotto. AGAIN he's contradicting himself cus he was saying that marquez was a big draw and that's why he was fighting him or moesly..(B.S at it's finest)..I hope they just agree 2 go 50-50 and manny finds a way to KO this loud mouth....
    agree, now we just need the fight
    SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS 2010 and 2012 CHAMPS

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Home sweet home
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    agree, now we just need the fight
    We shall talk again AFTER the fight.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    709

    Default

    I love PacMan, but Money is gonna to wipe the floor with him.

  13. #13
    Member JoeLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    156

    Default

    hahha kchill...we tryin 2 think positive here lol....but ya...i have a feeling that mayweather will run/"out box" manny for 12 rounds....then we will have to listen 2 him talk shite for 12 months....

    not much new info...arum and schauffer met earlier this week....and things went well apparently....this fight will most likely beat the 2.4mill mark and endup being the bigget ppv draw of all time. top rank and goldenboy would have 2 be isanely stupid and greedy for this fight not 2 happen....

  14. #14
    Senior Member MrPhotastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jungles of VN
    Posts
    638

    Default

    I can't believe I was asleep during the fight.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

  15. #15
    Member JoeLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    156

    Default

    its on!!!!

    no catch weight...147...8 oz gloves...for pacman's new belt....

    read that mayweather originally wanted 2 fight @ 154 with 10oz..cant believe the shite that goes through the guys head sometimes...

    march.13...pac runnin for election so it bumped up...hope there enough time....he needs 2 heal and i think roach was pushing for a 10week camp...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Let's get ready to RUMBLE!!!!

  17. #17
    Senior Member duguxiaojing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,505

    Default

    well its off as everyone now knows.....

    now its pac vs clottey

    and even more interesting moesly vs mayweather seems like a very good possibility if mayweather doesn't b**tch out.....


    feel pretty bad for Berto...the man loss 8 family members in the earthquake ...glad he dropped from fight with moesly. He needs some time to get everything together and fighting should be the least of his worries atm....
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Moseley and Mayweather is ON. EPIC.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Bangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Home sweet home
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    I'll watch both fights Pac vs Clottey and PBF vs Mosley. Whoever wins the May 1st fight should fight Pac and put an end to the greatest fighter of this era discussion.

  20. #20
    Member JoeLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    156

    Default

    ya.....I don't know which of these to fights will be better. Mayweather's fights are typically pretty boring, but....shane mosely has the size, speed, skill, heart and brains to press him. He's essentially an orothodox upgrade of judah. The problem is, Mosley is old...so at this point it's difficult to tell which one is going to show up. If the Mosely that destroyed margarito shows up, PBF does not stand a chance. If the guy who struggled to ko mayorga shows up, pbf will just box circles around him for 12 rounds. Either way i'm excited to see this fight!!!!

    As for clottey and pacman....clottey has the size and is a top 3 welterweight. His three losses could have easily been wins..he has a dq against baldomir who he was destroying, he was killing margarito bak when mayweather was avoiding him like the plague...but broke both his hands in the fight and lost on points, and then there was the controversial loss against cotto (i had cotto win by a point..but others may disagree)...he is a tough mofo...but imo pac man is too fast and too powerful a puncher. I say pacman with the 9-10 round ko...


    the shietty thing now is the long wait...but may is goin 2 b an insane month for fights!!!

    the mayweather fight card is on may 01
    wec aldo vs faber
    shogun vs machida (this card is stacked!!! daley koscheck, rumored griffin lil nog, read cote might be on there...kimbo 2 lol)
    and then at the end of the month its goin 2 b the rampage vs rashad.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts