View Poll Results: The scene you'd like to see the comparison clip of?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zhang Cuishan's Suicide

5 16.67%
  • Zhou Zhiruo stabbed Zhang Wuji with the Heaven sword

4 13.33%
  • Zhang Wuji rescues Ming Jiao men at Guangming Peak

10 33.33%
  • Zhao Min and her men came to Wudang

10 33.33%
  • Zhang Wuji tries to rescue Zhou Zhiruo from Zhao Min at Wan An Temple

6 20.00%
  • Zhang Wuji and Xiao Zhao's Goodbye

3 10.00%
  • Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min's Goodbye before the wedding

3 10.00%
  • Zhao Min interrupts Zhang Wuji and Zhou Zhiruo's Wedding

16 53.33%
  • Zhang Wuji and the three monks fight in Shaolin

6 20.00%
  • Ending Scene

5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: To HSDS Fans: Your Most Favorite Scene?

Default To HSDS Fans: Various Adaptations Comparison of a Scene

I have made a various-adaptations-compilation clip of the scene below:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/luliu-montage.jpg')

Link: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...E8ED8F6C295C35

Just for fun and just for comparison

I'd like to make another similar clip(s). May I have your suggestion on which scene you want to see the comparison clip of?

Doesn't has to be your favorite, but probably the scene you'd like to see how the other adaptations did it. And I think it has to be a scene that exist in the novel, because if it's not, other adaptations may not have the same scene.

You may choose from the poll or you may add a scene yourself by replying this post.
    Last edited by loislane; 11-18-09 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loislane View Post
    I'd like to make another similar clip(s). May I have your suggestion on which scene you want to see the comparison clip of?
    Wedding scene, and Zhiruo stabbing Wuji. The 1986 & 2003 versions are rather hilarious in handling that last one. (1986: he bleeds before she even stabs him, 2003: he's stabbed on the left chest and is wounded on the right)
    Last edited by leorio; 11-21-09 at 11:09 AM.

the chat between Zwj and Zm after the wedding.
    Zwj meeting up with Zm again after returning to China.
    Zhang Sanfeng zapping the fake monk.

When Zhao Min bites his hand. LOL

I want "Zhang Wuji v 3 Du Generations Monks".
    ..ext88

1. the island adventures of Zhang Wuji, the Persian messengers, Xiaozhao, Jinhua Popo, Xie Xun, and Yin Li.

2. Xie Xun's flashback of Reverend Kongjian

3. Zhang Cuishan shocked to hear that Reverend Kongjian is much more powerful than Xie Xun, thinking that even his teacher Zhang Sanfeng would not be a match.

4. As Zhou Zhiruo drew her 9 Yin White Bone Claw on top of Xie Xun's skull, it looked like doom was inevitable for the Golden Lion. Even the God of Lightness Kung Fu, King of Green Bat Wei Yixiao, stood helplessly. It was at this moment when every reader held his breath, a blur of yellow deftly leaped towards Zhou Zhiruo--leaving a mist of fragrance in the air--so skillfully that Zhou had no choice but to retract her claw. Brilliantly conceived, Masterfully executed, peace was restored as the Yellow-Dressed Lady saved the day.

5. Ming Cult banner leader Zhuang Zheng shatters Miejue's sword into pieces in a fair fight.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Not necessarily my favorite (although I did pick ZWJ saving Ming Cult on Brightness Peak).

I think it would be interesting to compare treatments for:

1) Z3F teaching ZWJ Taiji Sword

2) ZWJ saving 6 sect from flaming Wan An Temple

4) ZWJ vs Meijue in forest battle as Zheng Ah Ngau (9 Yang vs. ErMei 9 Yang)

5) When Zhao Min kisses ZWJ

Would you please upload another adaptation clip? I've voted in the poll already
    Thanks for sharing. I love watching them all

Thank you very much for voting and posting comments, everyone!!^o^

Recapping your choices, this is the Top Five Result:

1. Zhao Min interrupts Zhang Wuji and Zhou Zhiruo's Wedding
    2. Zhang Wuji rescues Ming Jiao men at Guangming Peak
    3. Zhao Min and her men came to Wudang
    4. Zhang Wuji tries to rescue Zhou Zhiruo from Zhao Min at Wan An Temple
    5. Zhang Wuji and the three monks fight in Shaolin

I will also consider the following addition choices:
    -ZWJ meeting up with ZM again after returning to China
    -Zhao Min bites ZWJ's arm
    -Yellow-Dressed Lady's 2nd appearance
    -ZWJ saving 6 sects from flaming Wan An Temple
    -ZWJ vs Meijue's battle in the forest

My own personal choices (clips that I just feel like doing it):
    -ZZR stabs ZWJ at Bright Peak
    -ZWJ & Yang Buhui's siblings moments

Once again, thank you everyone!!

In the meanwhile, I've made this

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/brightpeak.jpg')
    Link: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...8104E7A8CE181D

I will do the wedding scene next.

Wow! Thank you so much for gathering all these clips, loislane. Watching the clips sure bring back fond memories. Wonderful job! Can't wait to see the wedding version.

EDIT: finished watching the clip and just feel like giving my 2 cents on the adaptations:

The ’79 adaptation seems to rush things along. We barely get to see ZZR hesitate in stabbing ZWJ. It’s funny how Adam flops down like a dead fish, hehehehe.

I really like Sheren and Tony’s facial expressions in the ’86 version. The scene played out very well. I like this enactment the most out of all the clips due to the chemistry between Sheren and Tony.

I have to say that Jet Li is so badass as ZWJ. The way he b*tchslapped Meijue is plain awesome. Although this version is the most unfaithful to the novel, I really like it. It would have been wonderful if there was a sequel and we get to see Gigi’s version of evil ZZR.

Steve Ma is so very annoying as ZWJ. Such overacting . Plus, with his weird hand gestures and exaggerated expressions, he portrays a very lost and confused ZWJ. He’s got to be the worst ZWJ.

Lawrence made a decent ZWJ, but he’s still way too old for this role . I can’t stand watching Charmaine in any role, so no comment on her.

The 2003 version really lengthened this scene. I felt it was a tad too long. It would have been better if it was shorten just slightly. Aside from the fact that it was weird to see ZM spying on them, I think this scene was done well.

The fighting in the 2009 version is really cool and Deng Chao makes a very likable ZWJ. Liu Jing is better looking on film than in pictures. I really like her portrayal of ZZR’s anguish in this scene. I haven’t watched the complete adaptation yet, so no comment on her role/overall acting.

[Would love to see the 1984 Taiwan version, but it's highly unlikely I will find a copy]
    Last edited by tweety365; 11-25-09 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Wow! Thank you so much for gathering all these clips, loislane. Watching the clips sure bring back fond memories. Wonderful job! Can't wait to see the wedding version.
    You're welcome! Glad you liked it^^

The ’79 adaptation seems to rush things along. We barely get to see ZZR hesitate in stabbing ZWJ.
    The 1979 adaptation rushes every scene coz its only 20 episodes length

It’s funny how Adam flops down like a dead fish, hehehehe.
    I totally laughed on that part, LOL!

I really like Sheren and Tony’s facial expressions in the ’86 version. The scene played out very well. I like this enactment the most out of all the clips due to the chemistry between Sheren and Tony.
    The action part with Miejue was disappointing because it was terribly shortened. But I agree with Tony and Sheren's acting. They did it very well. Just that (as leorio pointed b4), ZWJ was bleeding already even before she thrusted the sword to his chest, was quite silly

I have to say that Jet Li is so badass as ZWJ. The way he b*tchslapped Meijue is plain awesome. Although this version is the most unfaithful to the novel, I really like it. It would have been wonderful if there was a sequel and we get to see Gigi’s version of evil ZZR.
    Totally agree!! Just wish, wish, wish there's a sequel to this T_T

Steve Ma is so very annoying as ZWJ. Such overacting . Plus, with his weird hand gestures and exaggerated expressions, he portrays a very lost and confused ZWJ. He’s got to be the worst ZWJ.
    Again, I agree. I can't stand Steve Ma's portrayal as ZWJ. Kathy's expression was kinda exagerrated too. Miejue's acting was also terrible. Worst adaptation ever, except it has the best Yang Xiao and good background musics.

Lawrence made a decent ZWJ, but he’s still way too old for this role . I can’t stand watching Charmaine in any role, so no comment on her.
    I think Charmaine's "Let me go!" was over the top. People were bashing Charmaine's acting in this series, but she turned out quite more decent in this scene, than I imagined.
    But anyway, anything about this adaptation somehow feels, tasteless, for me. Its not bad. Just... I have zero interest in the casts and how they played out the scenes.

The 2003 version really lengthened this scene. I felt it was a tad too long. It would have been better if it was shorten just slightly. Aside from the fact that it was weird to see ZM spying on them, I think this scene was done well.
    I think 2003 is one of the better adaptation. I liked it. Good but not great. The costumes used too much candy-colors though. But I like some of the casts. Alec and GYY is another ZWJ-ZZR pairing that has chemistry besides Tony-Sheren, imo. As leorio mentioned before, they made a blooper here. ZZR stabbed ZWJ's left chest, but then in the next shot, it was his right chest that bleeds, lol.

The fighting in the 2009 version is really cool and Deng Chao makes a very likable ZWJ.
    Yup, agreed. I love ZWJ-Miejue battle here.(I wish they would use less CG though) Too bad, DC and Liu Jing has no chemistry, imo.

Liu Jing is better looking on film than in pictures. I really like her portrayal of ZZR’s anguish in this scene. I haven’t watched the complete adaptation yet, so no comment on her role/overall acting.
    I like the way she said, "Let me go,", embarrassed, upset but still gentle. (compared to Charmaine or Angie who said it like they're angry)

[Would love to see the 1984 Taiwan version, but it's highly unlikely I will find a copy]
    I wish I can get this version too
    Last edited by loislane; 11-25-09 at 10:43 PM.

Thank you for the hard work, loislane! I'll definitely watch these when I have the time. This scene is one my favorites, and IMO no one has done it better than Tony & Sheren. In all the versions, this is the one where Zhiruo shows most regret.

The 1979 adaptation rushes every scene coz its only 20 episodes length
    I didn’t know that the ’79 version was only 20 episodes. No wonder the clips I’ve seen on youtube were so fast paced. Talk about rushing. Guess they were short on budget.

Just that (as leorio pointed b4), ZWJ was bleeding already even before she thrusted the sword to his chest, was quite silly
    I went back to check out the blooper with Tony’s bleeding. LOL, I can’t believe I never noticed that before. They must have acted several times for the scene and forgot to clean Tony’s clothes. Still, someone in the editing room should have caught it.

Here you go! The Wedding Scene comparison of all adaptations:
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...49155980C80EC4

For me, best performance was done by Sheren Tang from TVB 1986 version. Her acting was very natural, and she can combined all sad, despair, anguish, embarrassment and anger expressions. I also like how she pulled away the pearls of her head accesories and crushed it to dust. And the way the red clothes were torn and thrown below was cool. This is the best ZZR's exit, for me. Also... it has the best Zhao Min's entrance too I like how Zhao Min jumped in, instead of just walking in normally.

TVB 1978 has ZM jumped in too, but the overall feeling of the scene was that it was RUSHED. Angie Chiu did a good job, but Sheren Tang is still better.

TTV 1994 version handled the scene very, very soap opera-ish. I don't like Kathy Chow's expression, she exagerrated it.

TVB 2000, Charmaine Sheh did the tears part a bit good, but the last part where she shook her head, was so dumb, like ZZR has gone crazy -_-

CTS 2003, Gao Yuan Yuan never showed any sad and despair expressions here, I wonder why? All there was, anger, from the beginning to the end. Doesn't she feel heart broken at all here? GYY made ZZR to seem like, she don't love ZWJ sincerely, which of course, is the script's fault, I guess. I like how ZZR confronted ZM from a close distance, that part was cool, but the way ZZR injured ZM was a very silly visualization *rolls eyes*

Mainland 2009, somehow the dubber didn't really do a good job I think, and just like GYY, there's only anger expression, Liu Jing's ZZR doesn't look heart-broken at all. I'm not too fond of Zhao Min's entrance here, and not fond of ZZR's exit too. But I like Deng Chao's acting performance here. The Nine Yin Divine skill visualization was also kinda cool and how ZZR injured ZM was very close to the book. Well, most action scenes done in this adaptation are all cool, neat and choregraphed very detailed and excellent, anyway
    Last edited by loislane; 12-05-09 at 03:03 PM.

Again, thank you so very much for putting all the clips together. Really appreciate it!

1978 – It was indeed rushed with subdued emotions. Angie is a very beautiful actress and definitely a competent one. Also can’t fault Adam and Lisa in their acting either. If this production was not rushed, I think the quality of the scenes would be much better. Plus, there is no music to develop the emotional impact on all 3 parties. At least there is no problem with exaggerated expressions.

1986 – Still my favorite. All 3 actors portrayed the respective roles very well. Most noteworthy is Sheren. Compared to all other ZZRs, there was a range of emotions on display. I really like how Sheren hesitated before yanking down the beads to her headgear. It was a subtle touch, but it showed that she still loved ZWJ. I think music definitely added to the drama of the scene and enhanced ZZR’s devastated emotion. Despite rooting for ZWJ and ZM, I always felt bad for ZZR when re-watching this adaptation.

1994 – Again we agree . This scene totally played out like a daytime soap opera! Gosh, Kathy kept glaring at Cecilia that her eyes are close to popping out and heaving her chest like she just finished running. It got very annoying. Near the end, it looked like she turned crazy too. Of the 3 main actors, Cecilia managed her role the best with less overacting compared to Kathy and Steve. Watching Steve as ZWJ is almost as painful as watching Richie Ren as YG and LHC . Btw, just have to add that Cecilia’s ZM had the worst wardrobe and hairstyle of all ZZR for this scene.

2000 - I like the music in this version, but the fighting was not done well. Charmaine managed this scene better than I anticipated. Especially the silent crying part. But the effect was ruined with the whole hair flying, head shaking part. Reminds me of Bride with White Hair.

2003 – The fight sequence in this version is the worst. In generally, the fighting choreography for this entire series is done in a very amateur way. Fighting? What fighting? Sometimes, I think it’s a joke to even call this a wuxia series. ’94 was bad too, but mainly due to bad sound effects and colored beams whenever people fight.

2009 – I have to say the fighting for this version is the best. Viewers get to see how very dangerous the White Bone Claw can be as well as the power of the user. Liu Jing may not display ZZR’s emotions very well, but at least ZZR’s martial arts looked very powerful.

We are so in agreement on all HSDS adaptations! Overall, Sheren was my favorite. She showed her devastation and love for ZWJ the best.
    Last edited by tweety365; 12-05-09 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks loislane for making the comparision videos.

I must agree with everyone above regarding the wedding scenes. The 1978 was too rushed and fighting sequences were slow. 1994 adaption was just ridiclous as both ZM and ZWJ's wardrobes look like peasant clothing nevermind Kathy widening her eyes was just annoying! Furthermore, all three overacted too much making it soo dramatic. The 2003 version was decent but fighting was just awkward, especially how ZZR attacks ZM and ZM is just slowly moving towards the ground. 2009 wasn't bad but like all other ZZR's, she didn't express much sorrow. Overall, the 1986 one is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by cutiekhmergirl View Post
    1994 adaption was just ridiclous as both ZM and ZWJ's wardrobes look like peasant clothing
    I don't understand either why Steve Ma's Zhang Wuji didn't wear proper wedding clothes It was like the wedding wasn't planned, and he was forced to get married to ZZR?

But I think I know why Cecilia Yip's ZM wear peasant clothings. Before the wedding, she was confined by Fan Yao and Yang Xiao in underground dungeon. You see, FY and YX doesn't want ZM to be together with their leader, thinking she could be a hindrance and that it would be much more advantage for Ming sect, if their leader marries Emei leader, instead. They captured ZM and locked her in underground dungeon. On the wedding day, ZM managed to escape and stopped the wedding.

Yang Pei Pei really likes to turn Jin Yong's works to Qiong Yao-like 'soap opera' stories