Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conquering Your Fears

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Default Conquering Your Fears

Growing up, I was really afraid of height. I would get nauseated looking down from a 2-storey high building. One time, I was on a roller coaster with my best friend and I was getting so sick and scared that I bit her arm simply for distraction. OMG, till this day, she still hasn't let me live that one down.

During my college years, I was really interested in aviation, but my fear of height was a handicap that prevented me from pursuing this profession wholeheartedly. The first time that I flew in the right seat, I threw up so badly after landing, but my body did get used to the gravity with each lesson thereafter.

I recently did a crazy thing (for me anyways)….I went on a balloon ride just to see how far I can push myself, and lets me just say, being up 3,600 ft. in the air in a freakin' basket is a far departure from a 2-storey high building! Luckily, I walked away from the experience feeling absolutely fantastic. I would love to try sky-diving one day.
    Last edited by bellamia; 11-20-09 at 05:12 AM.

Nice. I don't really have a height phobia, but I don't like heights because I'm imaginative, and apparently a colleague has my same imagination. Maybe many others do, too.

I don't really like heights because I fear falling over, dropped my phone down, or getting shoved over. Then it continues with how bad it would hurt, how long would it take for me to die (relevant to how the length of suffering before death), and LEAKING BRAINS.

Hyper imagination. But that's me.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Nice. I don't really have a height phobia, but I don't like heights because I'm imaginative, and apparently a colleague has my same imagination. Maybe many others do, too.

I don't really like heights because I fear falling over, dropped my phone down, or getting shoved over. Then it continues with how bad it would hurt, how long would it take for me to die (relevant to how the length of suffering before death), and LEAKING BRAINS.

Hyper imagination. But that's me.
    This is it! That's how I used to feel, too. Subconsciously, I was afraid that someone might accidently bump into me and knock me over the 2-storey high balcony. Hahahahaha…

I had great phobia for dogs since the age of 7, an age which I got bitten by a dog in the lift. I guess the phobia strongly built based on the traumatic experience of getting trapped in a lift with a useless owner, who can't control his/her dog (which is taller and bigger than me) when it ran amok and the loud bark that echo-ed the lift. No, I did nothing at all, I was just there doing nothing but taking the lift. I'm quite sure that I didn't step on its tail by accident too.

I would rather keep a tarantula for a pet rather than a dog, if dog is the only other choice I could keep for a pet, back then. For bark of a dog freaks me out! Like it is ready to attack me at any moment. I get alerted when I heard the heavy breathing of a dog.

The phobia followed me like a shadow until my teenage. It was at the age of 14 or 15 that a change made me discarded that fear and decided to embrace these big furry creatures. It was my neighbourhood's lonely sad dog. My newly moved-in neighbour who is living one unit away from my home. The old geezer was a lonely old man who is often not at home (even though not working) and usually return home all drunk. The poor dog seems barely receiving any affection from his owner (besides the feeding). The dog, a male, his name is Girly (Duh, I know....the owner is an arse).

The dog would often pace slowly to my unit and just sit outside at my doorway looking into my home, looking at us. He would sit there for hours, in a position that his head landing on his paws... giving that sad sad look. Sometimes with teary eyes. Sometimes, just fall asleep there. It kinda soften me despite I didn't like him, as a dog.

He seems to notice that I secretly check on him despite I pretended that I ignore his existence or didn't care about him. The rest of my family are usually not around or barely at home due to work. That dog would also give me that hungry look whenever I enjoy my food while watching tv. I think it was sympathy that I gradually lose fear and adopt the liking instead. I began to feed the sad dog and let him in instead of lying at my doorway. Strange enough, I'd like to hugg the big dogs if the owner permit.

Well, I don't remember getting any vaccination for that crazy dog's bite but no worries, I'm absolutely sure that I never howl on every full moon.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-20-09 at 04:08 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

When I was about 5-6 yr old, a dog chased after me and caught hold of my short; leaving me running all the way home bared-bottom. Just thank goodness that my arse was intact.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    When I was about 5-6 yr old, a dog chased after me and caught hold of my short; leaving me running all the way home bared-bottom. Just thank goodness that my arse was intact.
    Oh, Bel bel, that was too cute! Sorry, I just naturally visualised that.

My phobia for vaccination has yet to be overcome though. Vaccination on myself or onto other, just feels like such a painful thing. Just as I hate vaccination, I hate bees too, or anything thing that carry this weapon called "needle".
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-20-09 at 04:34 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Yikes! Get your mind out of the gutter, boy.

Alrightey!

oooooooohhhhhhhhh, yeah, I don't think there are too many "bee" lovers out there! Just the "buzzzzzzz" noise alone freaks me out. I'm always tempted to smack the shit out of em'.

That last line sound so much like Kay.

Well, I would, too, if they try to piss me off by flying anywhere near me to tease me.

I spent my birthday night looking for the nest of the sturdy red ant that sting me on one morning when I was enjoying my coffee. I know the nest must be somewhere because I saw a few others of its comrade followed by the Queen.

ummmmm....I suppose whatever floats your boat, but that doesn't sound too entertaining, especially on such a special occasion.

What happened to going out and celebrating your b-day with family and friends?

This is it! That's how I used to feel, too. Subconsciously, I was afraid that someone might accidently bump into me and knock me over the 2-storey high balcony. Hahahahaha…
    Okay, another match-fit session (which succeeded with my colleague):

Do you, at a railing of a shopping centre, get the temptation of stooping down so that you are of the height when your neck meets the rail, just so you won't fall over? Best still, have you done that before?

I did, several times.

No dearie....I used to try to stay as far away from the railing as possible. Otherwise, as I've mentioned, I would get a feeling that someone might bump into me and push me over.

How about elevator? The normal ones I can handle, but I recall having to sit down when I took the elevator to the top of the Space Needle in Seattle a long time ago.

ummmmm....I suppose whatever floats your boat, but that doesn't sound too entertaining, especially on such a special occasion.

What happened to going out and celebrating your b-day with family and friends?
    An ant did sting me and strangely caused an unsual irritating itch on my toes on that one morning but the revengeful part about searching for the nest was meant to be a cold humour. Mah bad joke.

We celebrated my birthday in advance together with my sibling's, as her birthday is 3 days before mine. On my birthday itself, it was a usual working day, plus spending hours at library doing research afterwork. But I did meet up with a few close friends during lunch and we had a nice get-together even it was just an hour.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-20-09 at 05:35 AM.

No dearie....I used to try to stay as far away from the railing as possible. Otherwise, as I've mentioned, I would get a feeling that someone might bump into me and push me over.

How about elevator? The normal ones I can handle, but I recall having to sit down when I took the elevator to the top of the Space Needle in Seattle a long time ago.
    I can handle normal elevators. Predictably I don't like those tube-like elevators which are made of see-through glass material from top to bottom. I don't like windows like that too; at least normal windows don't make me feel like I can fall off without the minimum protection of a wall.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 11-20-09 at 08:21 AM.

Bella!!

Anyway ... I think my biggest fear is the unknown, which then encompasses smaller fears like darkness or something. I'm still figuring out how to work around that. It's not something that causes any significant impedance on my life, but it's there.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I am scared of heights, when I tried conquering it by going on the high ropes, these ropes really high over these wobbly wooden poles. I was told I was pale like a ghost. I even managed to clip my safety harness wrong, and for 5 seconds I was not connected to anything that would of saved my life. Overall, it was not cool.

Fear of being rejected by the opposite gender. Can that be considered a fear?
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    Fear of being rejected by the opposite gender. Can that be considered a fear?
    I think it's a yes!

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I think it's a yes!
    Really, its no joke, man. I believe a lot of people suffer from that!
    ..ext88