Thread: Motivational Books

Post Motivational Books

I'm currently reading "How to Win Friends & Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

Have anyone read this book before, or read other motivational books that are worth reading and useful?
    ..ext88

How about "The 4 Hour Work Week" by Tim Ferriss. Reading this will make you want to achieve your goals now and, also as it warned at the back, make you want to quit your job.
    Last edited by spcnet; 01-06-10 at 01:48 AM.
    -SC

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    I haven't read it, but I know it's widely read and studied. It's on my list to read.

Have anyone read this book before, or read other motivational books that are worth reading and useful?
    I've looked this area recently. What I found was helpful was just to know what was out there, and what's the general idea behind each book (for example, a short description read: "strategy comes first, but it's the execution that counts"). I've taken and applied several ideas from just this approach.

If you want some specific titles, here are some that I found interesting (I haven't read them, but based on my research):

Taking Time Off by Colin Hall

Happy for No Reason by Marci Shimoff

Chicken Soup for the Soul series - widely read

While on this topic, one of the most helpful and inspiring sources of motivation I ever received, was the movie "The Secret". I highly recommend it.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Familiar author. Jog my memory please, which other books does he write besides the above title?

No, thanks for sharing, I'll check that out.

I think this is motivational> Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom. Mitch Albom knows how to make sad events sound in a comedic light, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet View Post
    How about "The 4 Hour Work Week" by Tim Ferriss. Reading this will make you want to achieve your goals now and, also as it warned at the back, make you want to quit your job.
    Then, I better skip this book, 'cause I already have the intention to tender my resignation.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

the bible ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet View Post
    I've heard of 4 hour work week through Charlie Hoehn and Ramit Sethi, his book does look interesting.

Another source I'd suggest is to read up on great people from history. Learn about how they made it. And, to balance the tip, also read about famous people who made serious mistakes.

Recently I've been reading about Chinese political leaders of the 20th century, and I can't get enough of it. It's interesting to understand what qualities made them great (or not so great) leaders, and how some of them were able to push their agenda through in difficult times.
    Last edited by PJ; 01-06-10 at 12:17 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

For any animator wannabe, animator-to-be, amateur animator, animator amateur and myself, it has gotta be these 2 books........ *drum rolls*

click to show/hide spoilers
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cartoonsupplies.com/images/survivalkitbook.jpg?osCsid=969e12fd27cc33f306e4292 0387d4891')

click to show/hide spoilers
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.stuartngbooks.com/thomas_disney_animation_ill.jpg')

Just flip them, appreciate the "treasure" and arts in there, makes me want to sit down and create my very own piece of masterpiece (a reel, a story or an artwork - a character).

They may represent the manuals, in Wuxia world, that contains one of the very powerful martial art skills. They're pretty much like the inner strength type of skills, which could come in handy when you know how to appreciate them. I'd call these two books, the skills hidden in Dragon Sabre and Heavenly Sword.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-07-10 at 01:40 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I haven't read it, but I know it's widely read and studied. It's on my list to read.

I've looked this area recently. What I found was helpful was just to know what was out there, and what's the general idea behind each book (for example, a short description read: "strategy comes first, but it's the execution that counts"). I've taken and applied several ideas from just this approach.

If you want some specific titles, here are some that I found interesting (I haven't read them, but based on my research):

Taking Time Off by Colin Hall

Happy for No Reason by Marci Shimoff

Chicken Soup for the Soul series - widely read

While on this topic, one of the most helpful and inspiring sources of motivation I ever received, was the movie "The Secret". I highly recommend it.
    How is the secret? I heard some people complaining that it was bad.

I have read that book. It's a good book and a lot of it is quite true. I'm not a big motivational books reader though, as they tend to come across as propaganda to me, but "How to Win Friends & Influence People" isn't like that, which I'm glad. For motivation, I am more likely to be motivated by reading biographies, and when I see the hardship other people have gone through, it makes me rethink of all the 'problems' I have in my own life and I just laugh them off.

The "How to Win Friends & Influence People" by Dale Carnegie is amazing book, but it's good for beginner. All the basic things but it work! try it

Junior Member JulianCasablamkas's Avatar

having friends is always something beautiful and extremely necessary for our mental health, but as long as we surround ourselves with the right people

Banned

on the internet there are usually many motivational books

It is interesting