Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: More shark controversy

So many issues in this world and this is the topic that gets so heated on SPCnet? Oh lord...

' Yao Ming urges people not to consume shark fin soup while he serves them on his wedding day'

Maybe he got them from the same 'legal licensed stores' as you

'Domino Effect? Chain Reaction??
    Society will adjust to it accordingly. No need to worry and enjoy your life. If you want to be a second/third class citizen and listen to great speeches from celebrities like Al Gore and Yao Ming, you are entitle to it. However, their great speeches don't work on me. The more they preach about stop consuming shark fin, the more I am willing pay and the more I am consuming'

Sure society will adjust. Doesn't mean shit though, it's still one amazing species that's lost and possibly another few dozen getting crazy close to extinction because the downfall of 1 species does have a huge impact on the entire ecosystem. Watch more discovery channel pumpkin, less FOX News.

'do realized that the goverment is not perfect. It's not my fault that the shark fin I get from the stores with license came from shark finning. It's the people who finning the sharks commit crime, not the shark fin consumers. I do not violate any law. No law enforcement in the world can do anything to me about it. It's not the consumers responsibility to verify how the commercial products were made'

Guess why people fin sharks? Because there;s demand. Why is there demand? Because borderline rich asshats like you with your '2nd/3rd class citzens' like to be all fancy pretending they're bigshots because they can afford sharkfin, which honestly is quite tasteless on it's own except for a very little small fragrance and taste of seafood. Basically your paying a small fortune for the ingredients of the soup, which are pretty much the same ingredients as 'suan la tang' depending on the region your in except your paying a crapload more just for the tasteless sharkfin which might as well get replaced with vermicelli and soem seaweed for the taste and you wouldn't taste a thing.

'This is completely different issue. You should post it in a new thread if you wanted'

It does as she was using this to enforce her previous argument, which you even quoted and put it in bold.

Would somebody be so kind and explain to me how you guys can quote in this shiny fancy blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiang Yu View Post

Would somebody be so kind and explain to me how you guys can quote in this shiny fancy blocks?
    [ QUOTE ] text [ /QUOTE ]

That's the coding, minus the spacings.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    [ QUOTE ] text [ /QUOTE ]

That's the coding, minus the spacings.
    Thank you pumpkin! How would you quote multiple passages then from multiple posts? Or do you have to copy and paste it into a different window or something like WORD before copy and pasting it back here?

Thank you pumpkin! How would you quote multiple passages then from multiple posts? Or do you have to copy and paste it into a different window or something like WORD before copy and pasting it back here?
    To multi-quote you click this icon $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif') at the bottom of each post you want to quote then Post Reply.
    Have you learned to love one another?

So many issues in this world and this is the topic that gets so heated on SPCnet? Oh lord...

Maybe he got them from the same 'legal licensed stores' as you
    You missed my point entirely. I do not against people eating shark fin, but if you do it yourself then do not tell other not to do it. If you are good enough to consume it, why can't others? Other people are neither second/third class citizens nor slaves. Xiang Yu, if you want to listen to those hypocritical celebrities like Yao Ming and Al Gore you are entitled to do it.

Sure society will adjust. Doesn't mean shit though, it's still one amazing species that's lost and possibly another few dozen getting crazy close to extinction because the downfall of 1 species does have a huge impact on the entire ecosystem. Watch more discovery channel pumpkin, less FOX News.
    As an individual, you make no difference whatsoever. If you don't consume, others will. Again, if you accept the notion of "don't do as I do, do as I say" from the celebrities like Yao Ming and Al Gore, you are entitled to it.

Guess why people fin sharks? Because there;s demand. Why is there demand? Because borderline rich asshats like you with your '2nd/3rd class citzens' like to be all fancy pretending they're bigshots because they can afford sharkfin, which honestly is quite tasteless on it's own except for a very little small fragrance and taste of seafood. Basically your paying a small fortune for the ingredients of the soup, which are pretty much the same ingredients as 'suan la tang' depending on the region your in except your paying a crapload more just for the tasteless sharkfin which might as well get replaced with vermicelli and soem seaweed for the taste and you wouldn't taste a thing.
    Consuming Shark Fin is part of my Teochew chinese culture. I will never accept cultural genocide just to satisfy those hypocritical celebrities. If extinction is fate of the shark species, then be it. Again, if you are accepting cultural genocide (I assume you are chinese based on your name) just to please people like Yao Ming and Al Gore, you are entitled to it but do not expect others to do the same.

It does as she was using this to enforce her previous argument, which you even quoted and put it in bold.
    Uploading/Downloading of copyrighted music is against the law while consuming shark fin is not. I get shark fin from either restaurants or stores with license, not illegally from back alley. There is no law enforcement in the world can do shit about it even if they came from shark finning. It's not the consumer responsibility to verify how the product is made. Xiang Yu, is this too hard for you to understand?
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 01-02-10 at 11:55 AM.

It's not the consumer responsibility to verify how the product is made.
    Consumers have the power to make changes, because it is from us where the producers' income come from.

And hence, the classic line: "With great power comes great responsibility".

Seriously, what is this 1 person can't make a difference BS. If that's the case, what's the point of voting in your so beloved democratic countries.

Species extinction as an acceptable outcome to prevent cultural genocide. Wow such spin.

Why do sharks have to suffer in the name of your cultural pride and celebrity hypocrisy? People should learn to adapt their lifestyle according to change around them, instead of being cow-nosed about it and pointing fingers at others, ignoring personal responsibility as a citizen of this planet.

What's legal does not mean what's right and morally correct. You do not inherit this place, it's loaned from future generations. Tread gently.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

TC seems to have no concept of what morality is. He’s always saying XYZ isn’t illegal, therefore it’s fine to blah blah blah. What’s legal isn’t necessarily moral, and vice versa. Slavery wasn’t legal. Minorities didn’t even used to count as “persons” before legally. Does that mean it’s moral to abuse slaves and trade minorities who were considered property?

PS, if anyone hasn’t seen the Borat videos where he gets some southerners to essentially admit they wouldn’t mind having slaves is disturbing.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Consumers have the power to make changes, because it is from us where the producers' income come from.

And hence, the classic line: "With great power comes great responsibility".
    Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Seriously, what is this 1 person can't make a difference BS. If that's the case, what's the point of voting in your so beloved democratic countries.

Species extinction as an acceptable outcome to prevent cultural genocide. Wow such spin.

Why do sharks have to suffer in the name of your cultural pride and celebrity hypocrisy? People should learn to adapt their lifestyle according to change around them, instead of being cow-nosed about it and pointing fingers at others, ignoring personal responsibility as a citizen of this planet.

What's legal does not mean what's right and morally correct. You do not inherit this place, it's loaned from future generations.Tread gently.
    Since you boycott shark fin, as you have every right to do so, that is enough to drive the shark fishermen out of business. My action doesn't make a difference as I don't consume few times a year.

I am a citizen of Canada, all I need to do is follow Canadian law. Canadian law doesn't require me to be a second class citizen to listen to hypocritical celebrities such as Yao Ming and Al Gore.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    TC seems to have no concept of what morality is. He’s always saying XYZ isn’t illegal, therefore it’s fine to blah blah blah. What’s legal isn’t necessarily moral, and vice versa. Slavery wasn’t legal. Minorities didn’t even used to count as “persons” before legally. Does that mean it’s moral to abuse slaves and trade minorities who were considered property?

PS, if anyone hasn’t seen the Borat videos where he gets some southerners to essentially admit they wouldn’t mind having slaves is disturbing.
    Slavery?
    Are you belonging to the NAACP?

Point completely lost on TC, as usual. Didn’t even bother to form a coherent counter-argument on his own behalf. And notice he mentioned “law” as justification again? Basically proving the point I made in my previous reply.

Truly moral people are able to think beyond law because although something is lawful, it isn’t necessarily moral. I used slavery, which used to be legal, as example. Pretty simple analogy right? But nope, someone apparently can’t understand it.

TC is right in citing law, in that morality is relative, whereas law is absolute. Neither he nor anyone else is beholden to your sense of morality, only their own.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

If I eat the whole bloody shark, would those pinko leftie celebs shut the bagpipes up?
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    TC is right in citing law, in that morality is relative, whereas law is absolute. Neither he nor anyone else is beholden to your sense of morality, only their own.
    Law is temporarily "absolute." Laws are constantly changing, because of the people who make an effort to bring about these changes. Things that used to be legal (and would hence perhaps be considered moral by an individual as TC) are now illegal, and vice versa. Morality is generally relative, but there are certain foundations of morality that spreads across cultures and are more fundamental and absolute.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I do not need anyone to dictate my life, tell me what to do. I am person of my own. I live according to the law of the land, not according to those hypocritical celebrities.

So TC, you DO need someone to dictate your life, since you live according to the "law of the land," which after all, was written and determined by people - just like the bible.

RWX, if people just abided by the law and did not seek to reach a higher moral ground, things like slavery and segregation would still be legal. That's just the simple point I am trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    So TC, you DO need someone to dictate your life, since you live according to the "law of the land," which after all, was written and determined by people - just like the bible.

RWX, if people just abided by the law and did not seek to reach a higher moral ground, things like slavery and segregation would still be legal. That's just the simple point I am trying to make.
    Ok, I am dictated by the law of the land just like over 30 million Canadians whereas you dictate by celebrities like Yao Ming and Al Gore and institutions such as NAACP and those civil right leaders.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 01-05-10 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Ok, I am dictate by the law of the land just like over 30 million Canadians whereas you dictate by celebrities like Yao Ming and Al Gore and institutions such as NAACP and those civil right leaders.
    You are the only one who's been harping on them since day1... Nobody mentioned them before you did.

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    Law is temporarily "absolute." Laws are constantly changing, because of the people who make an effort to bring about these changes. Things that used to be legal (and would hence perhaps be considered moral by an individual as TC) are now illegal, and vice versa. Morality is generally relative, but there are certain foundations of morality that spreads across cultures and are more fundamental and absolute.
    Eating or not eating shark fin isn't one of them.

You are more than welcome to become an activist to try get the overall mindset/laws towards eating shark fin changed. Blathering on and on and harassing people online who feel otherwise is just self-righteousness, and this thread is really beginning to reek of it.

Hell, I don't even eat seafood...
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 01-06-10 at 12:04 AM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Ok, I am dictated by the law of the land just like over 30 million Canadians whereas you dictate by celebrities like Yao Ming and Al Gore and institutions such as NAACP and those civil right leaders.
    I have never even seen YM or AG make public announcements about not eating shark fin or any liberal issue. I have never even watched An Inconvenient Truth. I don't even watch much TV.

I don't care for the NAACP either. Have never read any of their material.

My belief in progressive ideology is an innate belief in equality and in not initiating evil unto others, and not influenced by anyone. (Against those who initiate evil upon others, however, I have no problem with using violence as deterence or defense)

You either bring up law or bring up celebrities like a broken record. I think you can give it a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    If I eat the whole bloody shark, would those pinko leftie celebs shut the bagpipes up?
    Well, likely not. They'll only shut up when the entire eco-system is hopelessly failing us, the human. One thing affecting another just like a sequence of chain reaction. By then, so will everyone shut up. Or, should I say, there's no longer a chance for any voice to be heard?

Eating a whole shark? "Well done!"

Since you boycott shark fin, as you have every right to do so, that is enough to drive the shark fishermen out of business. My action doesn't make a difference as I don't consume few times a year.
    Then, don't vote during election. Because everyone else has made their vote so, one less of your vote doesn't make a difference anyway.

I am a citizen of Canada, all I need to do is follow Canadian law. Canadian law doesn't require me to be a second class citizen to listen to hypocritical celebrities such as Yao Ming and Al Gore.
    No one is so simple-minded enough to only listen to what celebrities said without observing the environment. You know anything about National Geographic at all?

Slavery?
    Are you belonging to the NAACP?
    Is that some kind of joke of yours? Some conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Hell, I don't even eat seafood...
    Aye? Serious? No sarcasm intended, I'm asking this in a manner of curiousity. =O
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?