Thread: Much Ado About Nothing

Default Much Ado About Nothing

Which wuxia character do you think overreacted the most to a certain event?
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Ren Ying Ying banishing a bunch of people, and getting the rest to blind themselves just for looking at her wrong. And by looking at her wrong, I mean just looking at her at all.

Wuyazi giving Xu Zhu 70 years worth of energy and an entire clan just for the drop of a stone.

Huang Yaoshi for crippling his students.

The two Princesses of the Flower Palace in "The Magnificent Twins" by Gu Long.

Because of un-requited love...
    They murdered the young couple.
    Set in motion a revenge plot to have the couple's twin sons to kill each other.
    They set about the revenge for over twenty years without wavering. sigh....

The Scarlet Deity in "Return Of the Condor Heroes" by Jin Yong.

Because of un-requited love...
    She went on a murderous spree for ten years and came back to kill the couple after the 10 years respite set by the Buddhist Abbot.
    She continued her spiteful ways for the rest of her life.... never forgetting the guy.
    Admittedly... she seems to have had greater cause because the guy did woo her for a time....

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Ren Ying Ying banishing a bunch of people, and getting the rest to blind themselves just for looking at her wrong. And by looking at her wrong, I mean just looking at her at all.
    BTW...
    Ren Ying Ying did banish those people for seeing her with Linghu Chong... but the blinding was done by them of their own accord before Linghu Cong stopped them.
    Last edited by Ahoxan; 12-04-09 at 07:24 PM.

They did it as protocol. You can infer than she expected them to do it, it might have even happened before. Either way, she let it be known that there will be serious repercussions for looking at her.

To be close to LHC, she put a massive bounty on his life. A touching sentiment, but such a roundabout way of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    They did it as protocol. You can infer than she expected them to do it, it might have even happened before. Either way, she let it be known that there will be serious repercussions for looking at her.

To be close to LHC, she put a massive bounty on his life. A touching sentiment, but such a roundabout way of doing things.
    LOL...
    I'm not sure if she expected them to blind themselves....
    But all of them there... and all the rest of her followers... did expect some drastic over-reaction from her for just seeing her together with Linghu Chong.

Apparently... they only realized this after knowing how angry she was that everyone knew she liked Linghu Chong.... and the extent they went through to help him in order to please her.

I thought it hilarious how Jing Yong played up the "bashfulness" of a young girl through what you mentioned and other tidbits like the dialogue he wrote for those leaders who played a large part in organizing the event. i.e. where one of the leaders blamed his wife for dying early and not living long enough to teach him and his sons about the heart of a "young maiden"... LOL.
    Last edited by Ahoxan; 12-04-09 at 11:09 PM.

Lin Chaoying seemed am overreacting personality. I dont know a whole lot much about this character but in the duel with WCY she said she would kill herself if she died. That seemed like overreacting. There was just too much unnecessary drama between her and WCY

Huang Yaoshi overreacted by breaking his students legs.

Guo Fu overreacted by chopping Yang Guo's arm. But then she was always an unreasonable, immature person and maybe for her chopping a mans arm came naturally

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    Lin Chaoying seemed am overreacting personality. I dont know a whole lot much about this character but in the duel with WCY she said she would kill herself if she died. That seemed like
    I think you mean "she would kill herself if he died."
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who