Thread: Wuxia Adaptation Suggestions

Default Wuxia Adaptation Suggestions

I have already watched numerous TV adaptations of DGSD, LOCH, ROCH and HSDS and I guess its time to move onto something new for me. LOL. I needed some suggestions on which series to watch next. Would you recommend either Smiling Proud Wanderer (Laughing in the wind??) or Sword Stained with Royal blood or any other series? Also please recommend which year TV adaptation to watch. Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by goodrick; 12-05-09 at 12:24 PM.

I loved the "Xiao Ao Jiang Hu 2001 / Laughing in the Wind" version of "Smiling Proud Wanderer". Jin Yong said that the "Ren Ying Ying" actress was closest to how he envisioned the character. Linghu Chong was played by the same actor who played "Guo Jing" in LOCH 2003. This adaptation is closer to the book than any other... though it shared the early introduction of "Ren Ying Ying" with most/all the other adaptations.

The ending was also changed... a bit different from the book... to have a climatic "Ending Battle".
    I won't go further into it... fearing giving a "spoiler" that may reduce your enjoyment of the series.

This torrent from D-Addicts is alive and well... with 6-7 seeders at the current time:
    http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torre...View+all&sort=
    Last edited by Ahoxan; 12-05-09 at 01:00 PM.

I did start watching the 2001 adaptation of Laughing in the Wind / SPW. I have watched around first 9 episodes and I like it so far, although I think the story is moving at an extremely slow pace so far and would love for it to go a little faster. Haha. Thanks for not letting out the spoiler!!

Saw the first 15 episodes of Laughing in the Wind and I do like the story so far. I must say that although I feel like the story seems to be moving at a slow pace but I do get the feeling that it is building upto something major and something big is about to happen. LOL. I could be wrong. Hehe.

Also not many fight sequences so far. Very few and far in between. Hopefully that will change in the rest of the episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    I have already watched numerous TV adaptations of DGSD, LOCH, ROCH and HSDS and I guess its time to move onto something new for me. LOL. I needed some suggestions on which series to watch next. Would you recommend either Smiling Proud Wanderer (Laughing in the wind??) or Sword Stained with Royal blood or any other series? Also please recommend which year TV adaptation to watch. Thanks a bunch!
    I would highly recommend Sword Stained with Royal Blood since I did not like Smiling Proud Wanderer at all. That is just my opinion though. Do you want recommendations for other stories too or just wuxia???
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I would highly recommend Sword Stained with Royal Blood since I did not like Smiling Proud Wanderer at all. That is just my opinion though. Do you want recommendations for other stories too or just wuxia???
    I have already started watching the 2001 version of Laughing in the Wind (Smiling Proud Wanderer??) based on one of the posters recommendation. I'm done with the first 16 episodes. So far I think the story is moving extremely slowly and there are not many fight scenes at all (at least not in the first 16 episodes that I have seen). Nevertheless I do like it and will watch till the end. I believe there are total 40 episodes or so.

Which years TV adaptation of Sword Stained with Royal Blood do you recommend? Just making sure in case there are multiple versions out there which is usually the case for most JY story based series.

For now I'm only looking into the Wuxia genre so feel free to recommend any more if you know of any good ones.

if you don't mind old school style of filming and not so great scenary then
    the new adventure of chor lau heung (tvb 1984)
    the grand canal with tony leung (also a 1980's)
    blood stained intrigue (1980's)
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

If you like old school series then I would recommend most of the ancient/wuxia serials of TVB/ATV from the 80s and some from the 90s.

The Foundation
    The Dragon Sword
    The Wild Bunch
    Justice Pao (TVB/ATV/Taiwan)
    The young wanderer
    Dark Tales I & II
    Brothers under the skin
    Two most honorable knights
    Take care your highness
    Tin Long Kip
    Sword stained with royal blood
    Rise and Fall of the Qing Dynast (The forbidden City in jeopardy)
    Secret battle of the majesties I & II
    General father general son
    Legend of Dik Ching

Try really, really old school:

LUK SIU FUNG (TVB, 1976, 1977)

THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN (i.e. SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN, RUTHLESS SWORD) (TVB, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Try really, really old school:

LUK SIU FUNG (TVB, 1976, 1977)

THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN (i.e. SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN, RUTHLESS SWORD) (TVB, 1978)
    I bet they are good but very hard to find.

I have already started watching the 2001 version of Laughing in the Wind (Smiling Proud Wanderer??) based on one of the posters recommendation. I'm done with the first 16 episodes. So far I think the story is moving extremely slowly and there are not many fight scenes at all (at least not in the first 16 episodes that I have seen). Nevertheless I do like it and will watch till the end. I believe there are total 40 episodes or so.

Which years TV adaptation of Sword Stained with Royal Blood do you recommend? Just making sure in case there are multiple versions out there which is usually the case for most JY story based series.

For now I'm only looking into the Wuxia genre so feel free to recommend any more if you know of any good ones.
    I watched XAJH 2001 until the end and did not really like it at all. But I guess it was because I never really cared for the actual story in the first place.

I would highly recommend the 2007 version from China and the 80s version from TVB since they both complement each other really well. The 2007 version from China is better and more accurate to the novel while the 80s version has some aspects that the 2007 version does not have.There is also a movie version that I have not seen so I don't know how that is. I don't recommend the 2000 version from TVB because that version is just plain stupid....

I have seen alot of wuxia but am still wondering if you just want ones based on novels or just any plain wuxia??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I bet they are good but very hard to find.
    I don't think you would like them TC if you are a big 80s fan. I personally did not like XLFD from the 70s at all. It was so ridiculous..... A lot of the characters were miscasted and of course the typical fight scenes. Oh goodness, my mom and I got a good laugh out of them....No offense to anyone who likes it but I did not like it at all...

I watched XAJH 2001 until the end and did not really like I would highly recommend the 2007 version from China and the 80s version from TVB since they both complement each other really well. The 2007 version from China is better and more accurate to the novel while the 80s version has some aspects that the 2007 version does not have.There is also a movie version that I have not seen so I don't know how that is. I don't recommend the 2000 version from TVB because that version is just plain stupid....
    I liked the 2001 version, but haven't seen the 2007 version.
    Do you have the name of the series & where it can be found?
    I haven't noticed any info on it...
    I'd like to get a torrent or direct download source... w/ E-Softsub if possible.
    Thanks.

BTW, I agree that the 2000 version was horrible... I couldn't finish a single episode. I quick-scanned a few episodes... and didn't bother to see how the series turned out. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ahoxan View Post
    I liked the 2001 version, but haven't seen the 2007 version.
    Do you have the name of the series & where it can be found?
    I haven't noticed any info on it...
    I'd like to get a torrent or direct download source... w/ E-Softsub if possible.
    Thanks.

BTW, I agree that the 2000 version was horrible... I couldn't finish a single episode. I quick-scanned a few episodes... and didn't bother to see how the series turned out. LOL
    Hi,
    Sorry to confuse you in my other message. I was referring to the 2001 version of XAJH and the 2007 version of Bi Xue Jian. There is no 2007 version of XAJH at all. I also usually buy or rent my series to watch so I would not know where to download them.
    Yea, the 2000 version of BXJ from TVB was HORRIBLE. Gosh, I can't believe that they have nerve to call it Bi Xue Jian. THe English name is stupid too. There was no sabre in there.

I watched XAJH 2001 until the end and did not really like it at all. But I guess it was because I never really cared for the actual story in the first place.

I would highly recommend the 2007 version from China and the 80s version from TVB since they both complement each other really well. The 2007 version from China is better and more accurate to the novel while the 80s version has some aspects that the 2007 version does not have.There is also a movie version that I have not seen so I don't know how that is. I don't recommend the 2000 version from TVB because that version is just plain stupid....

I have seen alot of wuxia but am still wondering if you just want ones based on novels or just any plain wuxia??
    Just any plain good wuxia would be great. They dont necessarily have to be based on a novel. They must have English subtitles though else I would not understand as I absolutely cannot understand any Cantonese or Mandarin

I'm going go against popular opinion and recommend Duke of Mount Deer 2006 (CCTV with Huang Xiao Ming) and A Step into the Past (TVB with Louis Koo).

A Step Into the Past is very different from the other wuxia. The tv show is VERY different from the ongoing translation but entertaining in its own way. I recommend watching the TV version then reading the translation on this site (its not finished yet).

Just any plain good wuxia would be great. They dont necessarily have to be based on a novel. They must have English subtitles though else I would not understand as I absolutely cannot understand any Cantonese or Mandarin
    Ok, that is a bit tricky since a lot of them don't have English subs. Well, I do know some off the top of my head that are not really wuxia but are English subbed. Would you be interested in heavenly god stories that do have fighting like Feng Shen Bang?? I love the story of Feng Shen Bang and that has a lot of good fighting scenes, history,etc... If you don't mind watching that then I highly recommend Feng Shen Bang. I also recommend Xiao Li Fei Dao, but not sure if that has English subs or not. I have a lot more to recommend but I don't know if they have English subs or not. Which language do you understand then?? If you understand at least some other Asian language then I can recommend some other series since I don't know many that have English subs.

Ok, that is a bit tricky since a lot of them don't have English subs. Well, I do know some off the top of my head that are not really wuxia but are English subbed. Would you be interested in heavenly god stories that do have fighting like Feng Shen Bang?? I love the story of Feng Shen Bang and that has a lot of good fighting scenes, history,etc... If you don't mind watching that then I highly recommend Feng Shen Bang. I also recommend Xiao Li Fei Dao, but not sure if that has English subs or not. I have a lot more to recommend but I don't know if they have English subs or not. Which language do you understand then?? If you understand at least some other Asian language then I can recommend some other series since I don't know many that have English subs.
    I do understand Hindi (Indian language) but other than that no asian language. Sorry :-(
    So anything thats good wuxia and has English subtitles, I will watch.

I do understand Hindi (Indian language) but other than that no asian language. Sorry :-(
    So anything thats good wuxia and has English subtitles, I will watch.
    Oh ok so that is hard for me to recommend since I don't know that many series with English subs. The only other one that I can think off the top of my head that is wuxia and has English subs is Da Ren Wu starring Angelica Lee and Nicholas Tse which is a Gu Long novel. However, I heard mixed reviews about that series so I skipped that series. But you can give you a try if you like.

i recommend state of divinity 1996, personnaly my favorite adaption and most faithful too
    Liu Bang (I hope this is not forgery)